Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
JB Weld to Patch Hole in Rear Engine Housing
Posted by: hughest ()
Date: November 11, 2010 05:08AM

About a month ago, the harmonic balancer failed on my daughter's '68 and the pulley ring ground a .5 by .2 hole through rear engine housing. Any reason I can't plug the hole with JB Weld? Any special precautions I should take?

Thanks,

Tom in Baltimore
My YouTube Channel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: JB Weld to Patch Hole in Rear Engine Housing
Posted by: BritCars ()
Date: November 11, 2010 05:27AM

I've used it on radiators before. Off roaders swear by JB Weld.

Jeff

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, Maine 04863
'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 hp 4-speed
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" SW
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" HT
'80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
'80 Triumph Spitfire
[www.landroverwriter.com]
[www.dirgocorvairs.com]
[roversmagazine.com]

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: November 11, 2010 05:36AM

If you can use the JB Weld 24-hr version and not the JB Kwik-Weld 5-minute version it will be stronger. Sometimes that isn't feasible though because the long cure time on the overnight stuff allows the epoxy to flow away from the repair before it sets up.

Like all such repairs, clean it well, roughen the surrounding repair area for a better grip and keep it warm so the epoxy can fully cure.

Posted by: Geardo ()
Date: November 11, 2010 05:48AM

the trans pan on my 2006 Pontiac G6 has had JB Weld on it for the last 2 years, holding up fine. I actually tried to buy a new pan, and was told nobody ever replaces them, just use JB Weld. I have heard they use it on SAAB aluminum heads for corrosion pits when they replaced a head gasket

64 Cessna 150
65 Corsa Vert 140hp 4sp
87 Corvette Z-52 coupe auto
92 SAAB 900S vert 5sp
01 SAAB 9-3 SE turbo vert auto

Posted by: Slow MO ()
Date: November 11, 2010 05:56AM

When I worked for my Pap we had a cement block fall on one of our machines that had a 5 hp Briggs motor on it. The cement block knocked a 3 inch hole it the side case of the motor sad smiley! I drained the oil and cleaned all the pieces with acetone and JB welded it back together. My Pap didn't think it would hold but that was 10 years ago eye popping smiley. They still use that motor on one of the mixers today thumbs up.

Posted by: nnsquared ()
Date: November 11, 2010 11:13AM

The magical JB Weld worked as a repair for curb rash on my aluminum wheels. Careful, slow work, but after paint, they look new.

Regards,
Kerwin,
Newtown Square, PA 19073

65 Monza 110 PG, Stinger wannabe SW 001;
has moved on to club member. Photo will stay.

Posted by: ElkyBob ()
Date: November 11, 2010 12:53PM

I used JB Weld on a fuel fitting on a 71 Volvo once, it had duel carbs, I believe Strombergs. Right where the fuel line hooked up, there was a brass fitting that screwed into the bottom of the carb which was aluminum. It developed a leak and the dealer said it would cost $300 for a new carb. This was back in 1975 and $300 was alot more then. Anyway I patched it with JB Weld and it was still holding 3 years later when I traded it.

Bob Ponder in Tenino WA

1962 Vair Vert/102 4 spd w/EFI
1959 El Camino w/348 5 speed
1987 El Camino w/350 auto
2000 Ford F150
2014 Honda Crosstour

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: November 11, 2010 01:53PM

If you use the 24 Hr JB weld, you can put it in the Frig or Freezer and it will stay put. It takes longer so don't be in a hurry.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 11, 2010 02:24PM

put a little piece of plastic wrap over the jb weld & then some duct tape over the plastic & on the rear houseing. the tape it will hold the jb there until it sets up & it wont flow too much.

-Scott V.

Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: November 11, 2010 02:37PM

JB Weld is great but like azdave said only use the 24 hr stuff. Don't use it on things that have to hold a lot of weight because it wont hold but for patching holes in radiators its fantastic. I once broke the bolts in the thermostat housing in a 82 Celica. I couldn't have fixed it unless I took the Intake manifold off so I JB'ed it and drove it from FL to NY. JB Weld is also great for patching cracks in Urethane plastic bumpers, much better than fiberglass resin. If you patch a plastic bumper, use JB Weld soaked in fiberglass cloth. It works great. I fixed a Fiero bumper that way.

Posted by: Jim ()
Date: November 11, 2010 03:44PM

Had a bad seam on a gas tank, never leaked again..

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 12, 2010 08:42AM

As long as the damaged area is not a oil "pressure' area...for a quick fix, the JB Weld will work providing all oil residue is removed. Make sure no extra JB Weld material gets into the engine.
If the rear housing is to be removed for this repair, you may just replace it anyway. The metal timing plate "AC and or Air pump equipped" is just riveted in place and can be transfered to another standard rear cover.

To reduce the chance of oil leaks, the rear engine cover can be placed on a "flat" surface... I use plate glass,.. on a sheet of 400 grit wet-dry sand paper. The gasket surface can be hand milled by moving the rear cover around the sandpaper surface. You will be amazed how uneven the paper gasket surface is! I also lubricate the 400 grit sandpaper with WD40.

Corventure Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.