Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Project Protouring Corvair mid-engine V8 with legroom for a fullsized adult.
Posted by: xb9rumble ()
Date: February 23, 2012 05:03AM

Finally got my wheels and tires in. 17x11 with 315/35/17s. And a ton of inner fender cutting to fit. Going full tubs!

65' Monza 6.0/TH425/C4 front suspension/solid 8.8 rear. Mid engine project.
91' Syclone 6.0/4l80E/pt88 still AWD
92' Typhoon 5.3/4L80E/tc76 still AWD

Livermore, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Project Protouring Corvair mid-engine V8 with legroom for a fullsized adult.
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 23, 2012 05:26AM

They look great!

Get 'er done!!! gg

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 02:28PM

Nice fit.

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Date: April 14, 2012 02:04PM

So little update, with my subframe connectors tacked in, I bent up the transmission crossmember. It is from one piece of 1 3/4 .120 tubing as is all of the other stuff. All the bends were with "eyeing it". I well tack everything in for now. I also ordered a 1 5/8 die for my bender and a friend is working on getting me a good deal on chromoly for my cage.

Here you can see where the subframe connector bend down through the floor and are tackled in.

Livermore, CA

Posted by: Jim ()
Date: April 16, 2012 05:43PM

Very nice job..keep us up..

Date: September 17, 2012 05:22AM

It's been several months since an update and that because there have been none, until today. Today, I tackled the ladder bar mounts and the shortening and lengthening of the rear axle. Ladder bar mount pics are self explanitory but I'll give a little background on the axle. I started with a ford 8.8 out of an Explorer, and a Ford 9" out of a truck. I did some measuring to figue out how offset the axle needed to be and started cutting. I cut the axle tubes and used some of the tube and the outers of the 9" and butt welded them to the tubes and differential from the 8.8. That way I would no longer have c clips and would gain the weight advantage of the 8.8 among other reasons. I took over a foot off of the passenger side and added around 18"(if I remember correctly) to the drivers side. All of the axle work was done with an alignment bar to ensure proper alignment for the axleshafts. I have two that will be shortened and resplined (on will be a spare) and I will need to get a custom one for the drivers side. The axle will have a tubular truss/brace that will help strength as well as mounting points for rollovers and ladder bar upper mounts

Livermore, CA

Date: September 17, 2012 05:53AM

Here's hoping you get more time in the future... too interesting not to finish!!

Posted by: jonm925 ()
Date: September 17, 2012 12:14PM

Wow! Looking good! Wish I had the talent to do that. Hope updates keep coming.

J.Miller
Buffalo,NY

ALL LATE MODELS!

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: September 17, 2012 01:11PM

Neat! So I'm guessing you flipped the differential to correct rotation? My other question: What do you have planned for the drive shaft? Dual CV and lotsa telescope?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)

19 Tons of parts in boxes

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: September 17, 2012 02:44PM

XB9rumble. Do not go to a front engine configuration. It would eliminate the distinction of the rear engine design of the Corvair. Would be too much like a Camaro. Jim

Date: September 17, 2012 02:57PM

Jim Stukenborg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> XB9rumble. Do not go to a front engine
> configuration. It would eliminate the distinction
> of the rear engine design of the Corvair. Would be
> too much like a Camaro. Jim
=====================================================

Jim.. not much worry about that!! ggg

Posted by: chanceparker ()
Date: September 17, 2012 10:19PM

Pro-touring or Pro-stock? Personally, I'm a little misty-eyed that you're losing the independent rear suspension. That's always been a Corvair hallmark for me.

Good luck though. Interested to see how it turns out.

Any worries about the dramatic difference in axle lengths? I can't think of why it wouldn't work, but I've just never seen anything that dramatically different.

Chance Parker
Golden, Colorado
Auminum LS-powered 1965 Corsa Convertible

More Pictures

Date: September 17, 2012 11:05PM

Chance... many older 4wd vehicles had offset differentials..

Date: September 17, 2012 11:33PM

Cnicol- yes the axle is flipped. Right now I will run on the coast side of the stock 3.73 gears until I have it running and driving. Aft that, I will put in a set of front gears for a 8.8 ifs diff. The great thing about 8.8s is that fact that all the gears are interchangeable. I can run 3.31 gears for a front diff and with my axle being upside down, I will run on the drive side again and not the coast. I haven't looked close yet but if the pinion doesn't look like it will be lubricated enough, I'll set up a pump to get gear oil to the pinion.

Jim, I originally was going to go with a IRS setup but as with all things, there were obstacles. For me it was the $$$. To get a transaxle to handle the power I plan on putting out, I would be out a pretty penny as you know. Even though it will be a solid rear axle and one three gears, I still consider it protouring because if the modern front suspension and engine, newer brakes, wheels, and I plan on around 20 gallons of fuel capacity. And I have no fears of the extra long axles haft holding up. Rock racers have even longer ones in their front axles.

Livermore, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 11:39PM by xb9rumble.

Date: September 17, 2012 11:37PM

As it stands, I have just a hair over $3500 invested in the build including vehicle cost, engine, transmission, axle! Wheels, tires........everything.

Also here is my favorite pic so far. Right before I took the mockup engine out to get the rear end set up.

Livermore, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 11:40PM by xb9rumble.

Date: September 17, 2012 11:44PM

I can see why!! Bad Azz!

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 17, 2012 11:46PM

xb9rumble
As it stands, I have just a hair over $3500 invested in the build including vehicle cost, engine, transmission, axle! Wheels, tires........everything.

Including the hoo haa tires and wheels??

My favorite picture of my racecar.

Paso Robles CA and Palmtuckey CA-Unsafe At Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (est 1938) CORSA Member-Corsa West-High Desert Corvairs Corvanatic-Ventura County Corvair-Central Coast Corsa-Angel Fan Since 1978...HALO POWER!! So Cal Gas Since 1974 (retired) L/M Landspeed 3L/915 T04B methanol Coupe-65 Corsa-62 Rampside(2)-B&M Blown Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-Next Build L/M ADE/BBC/PG/QC Street Racer-Diesel Streamliner 7.3IDI/C6/GV/9" Dream-1939 Lincoln Zephyr V12-Vehicles in My Possession...12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 11:48PM by Phil Dally.

Attachments:
Date: September 18, 2012 12:02AM

Phil Dally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > As it stands, I have just a hair over $3500
> invested in the build including vehicle cost,
> engine, transmission, axle! Wheels,
> tires........everything.
>
>
> Including the hoo haa tires and wheels??
>
> My favorite picture of my racecar.

yes including the hoo haa tires and wheels.

Livermore, CA

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: September 18, 2012 12:14AM

Posted by: chanceparker ()
Date: September 18, 2012 12:16AM

That's some mighty thrifty spending. A good, used 6.0 is almost that much alone.

Chance Parker
Golden, Colorado
Auminum LS-powered 1965 Corsa Convertible

More Pictures

Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.