Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Engine pre-oiler... anyone make one?
Posted by: Brad54 ()
Date: November 03, 2010 06:14PM

So I just took a worn out distributor and made a pre-oiler for the wife's engine.
It's so amazingly simply, I'm curious if others have done it.

The temporary engine we're dropping in has sat for a long while, and I'm going to pre-oil it before firing it up.

I'd recommend the same for anyone taking a car out of winter storage.

-Brad

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Engine pre-oiler... anyone make one?
Posted by: ubuck ()
Date: November 03, 2010 06:49PM

Yep... the only way to go. Beats the hell out of the sawed off screwdriver! angry smiley

Brian
63 Monza Convertibile Sprint Clone
64 Monza Coupe Sprint Clone
65 Monza Convertible
66 Corsa Convertible
69 Grand Prix Model J
2004 SSR

South Holland, IL

Corsa/CCE

"Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be." Ashleigh Brilliant

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: November 03, 2010 06:50PM

Knock the pin out of the gear and it's ready to use. smiling smiley

The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers
Don
NTCA....DFW,TEXAS
66 Monza 1 owner

Posted by: MrChips ()
Date: November 03, 2010 06:55PM

Oh.

I thought you actually installed a motor on the distributor top etc. That'd be just keen to have!

I used a large Crapsman screwdriver that fit just right into a socket and drove it with my 'lectric drill. Cheap and effective, but not as cool as a purpose-built tool would be. Gotta check and see if I have any more sewing machine motors laying around...

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: November 03, 2010 07:12PM

I make the spin-in-a-drill type for any motor I'm rebuilding.

Back in '82 I was bored and made an onboard version (which I called the Pre-Oiler) for the first Corsa I restored. It used a solenoid, an old fire exinguisher and a flexible grease gun hose tapped into the oil filler/alt. adapter plate.

When you first start the car the solenoid would open and fill the fire extinguisher with oil under pressure. While doing hard cornering, the fire extinguisher reserve tank would help supply oil back into the engine for a short period of time in the event that the oil pickup was starved.

Before I would shut the car off I idled it up briefly to build good pressure in the tank and then when I turned off the engine the solenoid closed and I had a small tank of pressurized oil ready to release before the next start.

The next time I went driving I would first turn the ignition to "run" position so the solenoid would open and release the oil. I waited until I saw the oil pressure light go out and then I would crank the engine.

You can buy systems like this of course but I wanted to make my own back then. These days after a long storage I just disable the spark and then crank until the oil light goes out. I then enable the spark and start it up.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: November 03, 2010 07:23PM

I also use an old distributor. The weight/springs have been taken out as well. Sure makes priming the oil system easy before that first start.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Warner Robins, GA (15 miles south of Macon)

Posted by: Andrew ()
Date: November 03, 2010 07:47PM

A distributor is the only way to go. It saves the bore in the rear engine housing from getting screwed up. When you use a mashed down rod, or a cut up screwdriver you have the potential to nick and score that lower bore. That lower bore is the second "bushing" for the distributor shaft. Fairly important for that bore to not be mangled or sloppy.

On some V8 engines like thee SBC you have to use a modifed distributor. One of the oil passages runs around the housing. If you don't use a cut down distributor part of the engine isn't pre-lubed. Luckily the Corvair isn't like this.

Ideally if you pre-oil the engine, you'll also slowly rotate the engine by hand while turning the oil pump so you make sure all of the bearings get a chance for the holes in the bearings to line up with the holes in the crank throws.

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: November 03, 2010 07:49PM

An old Corvair distributor shaft and an electric drill motor works wonders. No modifications necessary.

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: November 03, 2010 08:12PM

Gee, somehow I was thinking along the lines of an accumulator for start up oiling
when I saw this post. Anyone here done that?

Date: November 03, 2010 08:22PM

Vairismo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gee, somehow I was thinking along the lines of an
> accumulator for start up oiling
> when I saw this post. Anyone here done that?

Ummmm... That is what my post above was mostly about.

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: November 03, 2010 09:14PM

What I'm talking about is for everyday use, so there is instant oil pressure on starting before the oil pump gets up to pressure. when the engine runs oil is pumped to a small tank with a bladder and a check valve. Next time the engine starts the pressure 'accumulated' is released immediately. You are talking about a priming type setup for after a major service event.sad smiley

Date: November 05, 2010 01:47PM

Vairismo Wrote:
> What I'm talking about is for everyday use,.......
> You are talking about a priming type setup for after a major service event.sad smiley

No I'm not.

This system was installed onboard, behind the battery area, and I used it every time I started the car. That car was sold years ago (with the system still in operating condition). If I stilll had it I would have included photos.
If you will read past the first sentence of my first reply you will see that I discuss an entirely different system for daily use.

Posted by: MrChips ()
Date: November 05, 2010 02:41PM

Electric pre/post oilers are available. - we installed one of my pal's truck. Sure was cool to hear it pump up before cranking the engine.

I believe we also added an Amsoil filter block to the system, too - he was all set for loooooong life out of that engine, 'til my dad bought the truck from 'em... and crashed it thanks to a construction flag man who waved through two vehilces 90degrees out into the same intersection... The minivan took the brunt of it.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: November 05, 2010 03:27PM

I take the ops out of the oil pump housing and install a oil presure gauge,,put in the modifide distributor hooked to a cordless drill,,run the drill till the oil presure gauge has pressure,,then tap the starter with a remote start button to turn the motor to get oil in the mains and rod bearings,,install dist and fire away! I like the oil presure gauge on the motor for a first start to make sure I have good oil presure thumbs up

Email me at: Dave Motohead
Visit My web site(Under Construction)
Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
I AM THE GRIM REAPER FOR OLD CARS!
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: Noah ()
Date: November 05, 2010 04:02PM

Hey Brad,
I welded up an oil cooler adapter to have an extra 1/8npt tap for cool, filtered oil delivery to the turbo bearing. Thought about putting an extra fitting in the line for an on-board, electric pre-oiler pump. Something cheap like this might actually work if you never let it get too hot:

for a couple bucks more this would be better:
[cgi.ebay.com]
Buy a couple check valves from McMaster-Carr and run an intermittent button on the dash so you only run it when the engine is cold. My idea was to run it's own oil pick-up and filter.
Lot of work.

Noah
Milwaukee

Posted by: ManxManiac ()
Date: November 05, 2010 07:38PM

MOROSO makes an oil accumulator for this very purpose! They work great on street or race/off-road engines. I think the kit is around a couple hundred bucks, though we made our own for several race cars.

Have Fun, Fun, Fun... ManxManiac

Posted by: Wabbitkiller ()
Date: November 05, 2010 08:52PM

I use the drill and screwdriver method myself. An old dizzy would be nice, but I always seem to lack that...

Chris

1965 Monza 95 Convertible 4 speed

Olathe, KS (Kansas City)

Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: November 06, 2010 03:46AM

I am confused as to why you are making this. I understand about wanting to make your engine last longer by getting oil pressure first but wouldn't this be easier?

Just hide a toggle switch under your dash that cuts off power to the coil. With the toggle switch in the off position so the car is not firing just crank for a few seconds to build oil pressure. Turn the switch back on and crank again to drive away.

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: November 06, 2010 04:03AM

Noah Wrote:
> Hey Brad,
> I welded up an oil cooler adapter to have an extra
> 1/8npt tap for cool, filtered oil delivery to the
> turbo bearing.

can you post some pics of your adapter modification?

thx
joe

Posted by: Noah ()
Date: November 08, 2010 02:56PM

Here, Joe.
Took me a while to get back to the photo source and upload these.
Pics show built up aluminum weld on adapter (TIG). Tried to avoid drilling through to the bolt hole. Lots of air pockets and impurities in the casting (see bubbles and soot).
Welded, ground, milled, drilled & soon to be tapped (1/8
Modified oil cooler adapter
Modified oil cooler adapter
Here's a pick of my distribution block to be fed by the modified oil cooler adapter. VDO senders installed. Small open hole for pre-oiler. Hidden on right side is a port for oil out to turbo bearing.
Aluminum distribution block (aka

Noah
Milwaukee

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.