home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: How to make your four- barrel carb work
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 15, 2017 11:04PM

Unless you live in the Artic, I do not see what all of this fuss is about ! ! !confused smiley
I drove my 140&4 all last winter, and did not have any problems with it.
We had mulptiple times with sub-freezing temps in the 20's for up to a week at a time, and she kept on going with zero issues. thumbs up
I did not have any issues with icing up.
Are people just forgetting to open up the winter warm air slots or what?
Pictures or it did not happen, right?

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 16, 2017 05:32AM

I've got several 4 barrel manifolds with different carburetors to fiddle with when I get some time. Going in I like the idea of the Rochester Quadrajet. I've got a 390 Holley on my racecar, mainly used that because it was something familiar to petition SCCA Comp Board with.
I wonder about using oil since it's slow to warm up and doesn't dissipate heat as good as water, although oil is what we have available. The double benefit of cooling the oil is attractive.
I have a pipe dream of a VW style exhaust heat riser but have never even looked at it on the bench. The problem of the rubber hoses comes to mind right away. Does the VW hot air travel up one side and down the other as a circuit? I experienced carboned up non operational 40 HP VW during the winter of '75.
Since the oil chamber method seems to work it's hard to argue with good results. This thread is 7 years old without a bad result to be heard.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: chris ()
Date: October 26, 2017 08:30PM

I know this is kind of random, but just for a fun experiment, I installed a Holley 390 with Clark's linkage that I had on my 140. Yes, sometimes it would be boggy off idle (I adjusted my driving technique), but throttle response was terrific compared to my 4 Rochesters. What surprised me was the midrange, as it definitely felt stronger. The top end seemed a bit better than the stock 4 carbs, but not by much, so that tells me the stock carbs probably flow pretty good. Going in, I thought throttle response would be delayed to say the least. Is there a reason why it would have such good response? When I go back to my stock setup, I think I'll tinker with the opening rates of the secondaries (all 4 are primaries with idle circuits).

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Posted by: rrp0403 ()
Date: January 11, 2018 06:48AM

Does anyone have experience or know what would happen if I mounted a holley 390 to the manifold in the picture? Notice the manifold is for a two barrel carb. I have an adapter plate that would mount the 390 onto the manifold.

How would the flow work with this set up?

Attachments:

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 11, 2018 07:46AM

rrp0403 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have experience or know what would
> happen if I mounted a holley 390 to the manifold
> in the picture? Notice the manifold is for a two
> barrel carb. I have an adapter plate that would
> mount the 390 onto the manifold.
>
> How would the flow work with this set up?

That is a 2 barrel intake. Not large enough for a square bore Holley.

Lee J

Posted by: chris ()
Date: January 11, 2018 08:27AM

With your adapter it would probably work. I don't know how tall that would make it?

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 11, 2018 09:51AM

Those adapter plates are for putting a 2 barrel carburetor on a 4 barrel intake. Not the other way around.
Putting a 4 barrel on a 2 barrel intake is just restricting the flow of the carburetor. Just a waste IMHO. Get the correct intake manifold for the 4 barrel or get a 2 barrel carburetor for the 2 barrel intake.

Lee J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 09:53AM by gnvair.

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: January 13, 2018 07:48AM

plumbing air from the winter summer plate will work perfectly if you also use the bimetal vac switch that opens the flap/valve at 100 degrees intake air temp. uther wise the air temp will get too high. one more advantage to the hot air is it starts working with in minuets of cold start it takes miles and miles to warm up your oil. Roger R Madison Wi.

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.