Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Removing torque converter
Posted by: marty ()
Date: September 09, 2010 05:23AM

Hi guys, just a stupid question; I can't see how to pull the torque converter off the engine. City library is no help. They have a book on '60s Chevys with PG but not Corvair. It talks about bolts holding it on, but I don't see any, so pried a little. Maybe just pry some more or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mart

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing torque converter
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: September 09, 2010 05:43AM

If you remove the sheet metal shroud at the front of the engine to expose the top of the bell-housing, you will find a sheet metal cover on the top-right of the bell housing. Remove the sheet metal cover. (it's about 2" x 2"). Rotate the crankshaft until you see a torque converter bolt. Remove the bolt and rotate the crank to the next bolt. There are a total of three bolts. Once out the converter should come right off. Sometimes, the converter hub is rusted into the end of the crank but it should come loose with a little wiggling.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)

19 Tons of parts in boxes

Re: Removing torque converter
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 09, 2010 12:57PM

Marty: You need to build your own library starting with shop manuals and the books by Bob Helt.

Sincere regards, Steve

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1967 monza 110/4
1968 monza 110/4 1971 amante gt 110/4

Golden, Colo. CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.