Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corvair at junk yard in Buffalo,NY
Posted by: wildcorvair ()
Date: September 05, 2010 08:02PM

There is a yellow 1964 Corvair two door coupe at M&M U Pull It junk yard here in Buffalo,NY. We went to go see it and it is nice. It was rusted and filled here and there but the doors had no fill and were very solid. The trunk lid had no fill too. We bought the trunk lid and the rear seat. We plan to put the seat in our red 1961 coupe. The car used to be white with red inside. The junk yard took the chrome, bumpers and dash to sell on ebay. When it came in it had a motor but the just sold it. They cut the rear axles to get it out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair at junk yard in Buffalo,NY
Posted by: 84z28 ()
Date: September 06, 2010 11:24AM

Good to know I might have to make a trip out there.

Date: September 06, 2010 05:21PM

Here is a video of it...
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Dennis D ()
Date: September 06, 2010 10:32PM

I am the guy doing the restoration of Carl Sagan's 64 Spyder convertible. I live in Brocton, NY about 60 miles from Buffalo. You did a short video of my 63 rampside [www.youtube.com] at Point Gratiot Park in Dunkirk a few years ago.

I have a problem with putting together the front end of the car (front of car, both fenders) because I don't have the proper hood. I want to align the hood to the front fenders (or fenders to the hood) to insure that I have a good fit as there is always a variation in different hoods. I have a 61 hood but it is rough.

I need a 64 hood that has the push in style letters (CORVAIR) on the front of the hood. (The later 64 hoods had nuts on the studs and holes on the underside to gain access to the studs. Which type of hood did you buy at the Buffalo junk yard? If it is the hood that has the push in style letters would you consider selling it? If possible,I would like to avoid any rust swelling in the seams of the hood. I understand that you said the hood was in good shape.

This would greatly help me out in the restoration of this historic vehicle. Thanks.

Dennis Dorogi

Date: September 06, 2010 10:42PM

I was just rereading your email. You said you bought the trunk lid. Did you mean engine lid? Or the front trunk lid or hood. Sure can get confusing. Maybe the hood or trunk lid is still at the junk yard. Thanks.

Date: September 07, 2010 01:02AM

The engine lid is still at the junkyard. The front trunk we are saving for a spare for our 64 vert. It was the kind with the slots on the back for the nuts on the letters. It has nice doors but for a coupe. The corners were filled but solid metal under it. All the suspension was all there for a 64. The brakes were good. I admire your restoration work on your cars. You know my friend Mike Burgio.

Date: September 07, 2010 01:20AM

Thanks for the reply. It was a long shot but worth a try. The right hoods are around but shipping is the killer. Buffalo is so close. I've known Mike and his brother for a long time. He picked up a differential from me a few months ago. My son just picked up some New Mexico doors for me - very solid and from a coupe also but they can be converted to convertible doors fairly easy. I am doing that now.

Thanks again.

Dennis D.

Date: September 07, 2010 01:24AM

We may go back and cut off the rockers.

Posted by: cfmann ()
Date: September 07, 2010 01:28AM

try the Corvair Ranch? ship it by Greyhound??

Date: November 11, 2010 06:57PM

Well went to the junkyard today. It is still there. I decided to see where the bondo was and soft spots...rusted junk...

Attachments:

Date: November 11, 2010 06:58PM

more...

Attachments:
Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: November 11, 2010 07:02PM

It Still has the original radio plate and the rear seat back is better than mine.

Date: November 11, 2010 07:19PM

We bought the rear seat a while back along with the bottom that was in the car next to it...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.