Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
FC rear wheel bearing clean and regrease
Posted by: upnorth1 ()
Date: August 08, 2010 08:47PM

So is this possible? Haven't had any problems, but hey it's 50 yrs old, doing the complete "so I might as well" thingy.

I have a little bit of work for the machinist to do, so I can add them on and avoid minimum charges. Can those bearings be reasonably removed, cleaned, re-greased and reinstalled? it has to be cheaper than installing new at $130-150 a pop.

thanks!

Chaplain Bob
135 miles from Canada

AT THE TIP OF LAKE SUPERIOR
1961 Loadside 95hp. 30 over bored and stroked. 145 block, 165 heads 4 speed
1966 Corsa clone 140 4 speed, 30 over.
1966 4 door 110 pg soon to return to factory 140 PG

DON'T mess with Old Men, we didn't get old by being, STUPID!!!

\/ this is a half mile from my house... \/

<a href="[www.wunderground.com] src="[weathersticker.wunderground.com]; alt="Click for Hermantown, Minnesota Forecast" height="90" width="160" /></a>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FC rear wheel bearing clean and regrease
Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: August 08, 2010 08:51PM

yes - they can be removed, cleaned, re-greased and reinstalled. but once pulled apart for inspection you may find the parts are not acceptable to rebuild.

removing the bearings off the axle can be *fun*. the tech guide shows the work being done w/the bearing on the axle. the example is a car but id think a fc would be the same.

-Scott V.

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: August 09, 2010 12:12AM

Removal of the bearings from an axle is *fun*. Sounds like a shot gun blast when some of those bearings finally break loose off the axle.

I've always been concerecned that the bearing cone has been broached.

You will need a new pull ring to install when replacing the bearing.

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Posted by: Vanman ()
Date: August 09, 2010 05:13AM

I cant pull the bearing, so instead I drilled the rivets pulled the back plate, shot brake clean in the bearings to clean them out, and hand packed them again. Much better than leaving the 47 year old grease to depend on. The bearings looked good, no scars, or color change. I did not re-rivet them, just kept them together as I bolted them back up.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kevin
Plainfield, IL
'63 2dr Biscayne
'63 VW Custom bug project
Former Corvan owner

Just hangin round to shoot the schtik

Posted by: Andrew ()
Date: August 09, 2010 06:29AM

The FC's wheel bearing contruction is much like the 60-62 car piece. I wouldn't try to remove a wheel bearing from the axle shaft unless it is to be replaced. Too much risk of damaging a "good" part.

I like to pull the axles to regrease everything. Chance are the U-joints need attention too if the wheel bearings does. Use a steering wheel puller to remove the yoke flanges. Drill the rivets, pry out the deflector "mushroom" ring, then pull the inner shield off. Once you're that far it's fairly easy to clean out the grease with canned brake cleaner and plastic straw. Repack with a grease gun with needle attachment. Use a high quality, high temperature wheel bearing grease.

Everyone likes pictures right? The pictures below are from an early car but the procedure is the same.

Attachments:

Posted by: mike hicks ()
Date: August 09, 2010 09:21AM

are 64 FCs the same??

Posted by: Andrew ()
Date: August 09, 2010 10:14AM

All FC's use the early car (60-62) stamped steel housing design instead of changing to the 63-64 car cast iron housing design...so Yes, all 61-65 FC's look very similar to the photos above.

Of course, FC bearings are different than car bearings because they are a bit larger than the cars, but the basic design is the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2010 10:15AM by Andrew.

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: August 11, 2010 07:18PM

Bob Galli use to completely dismantle rear bearings. NOT a simple hydraulic press procedure. Most had scared races or balls... I stocked up...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 13, 2010 09:31AM

I have pulled the rear axles on my 62 car and split the bearing covers as you suggested. This doesn't give me access to the bearing however, since the outer half of the cover still covers it (see picture). Is there another step I need to do?

Attachments:
Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: August 13, 2010 10:35AM

connecticutcorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have pulled the rear axles on my 62 car and
> split the bearing covers as you suggested. This
> doesn't give me access to the bearing however,
> since the outer half of the cover still covers it
> (see picture). Is there another step I need to
> do?

That's the bearing race, it should be removable.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.