Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 1 of 28
65 Corvair Turbo Coupe Restoration
Posted by: cecilw ()
Date: June 25, 2010 11:20PM

FYI thought I may just put some photo's out on progress on my coupe. 53K on the odometer. College kid drove/(abused)it last. I think he/she ran it till it quit. The car is still in it's original paint/interior.... Not been wrecked. Some minor surface rust.... One place rusted thru at the rear window pillar...easy fix. It sorta ran when I brought it home.

So far:

I have the drive train and suspension pulled out. As you can guess my some of the photo's the engine was in sad shape. Rear bolts broken off in the transmission, and broken trans housing. Bell housing nearly cut in two by the ring gear on the flywheel(broken finger on the pressure plate), front dampner puley fell apart when I removed the fan belt, Oil soaked into the insulation so bad that it actually ran out of it when I pulled it out.

Interior was in excellent shape. I Hope to salvage most of it. see photo's. I'll post photo's when time allows. All have a great day!

I have not pulled the motor down yet.... can't wait to find the surprises in it!

BEFOREAFTERLost in the 60s...
BEFOREAFTER

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 65 Corvair Turbo Coupe Restoration
Date: June 26, 2010 12:07AM

Here are photo's of the broken transmission bolts/transmission housing. Two bolts broken off in the transmission, the other bolt broke the off ear on the trans and was backed out almost all the way. see photo's

Attachments:

Posted by: ScottS ()
Date: June 26, 2010 02:55PM

looks like a great project- all fixable !

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
1969 Monza Coupe
1966 Nader Invader !
1966 Monza Coupe
www.vaircooled.com
I love Corvairs
Ohio

Posted by: c17flyer ()
Date: June 26, 2010 03:27PM

Cecil,
Greetings. Where are you at and where did you find that car???

John
Olympia, WA
(Summer in Qatar)

Date: June 27, 2010 05:33AM

Castle Rock, WA. Found the car in Toledo, WA, purchased by a close family friend. His health does not allow him to do a restoration so I worked on him for a year to sell the car. I don't know the total history of the car as yet. I believe it has always been in the Northwest. Still has plates from Snohomish County. Parking sticker for University of Washington in the windshield.

That sticker is how I made the assumption that the car has some hard times with a young driver in the 80's. PO started to get the car road ready, brakes done, drums turned, new rubber brake lines, master cylinder and all wheel cylinders. I assume the broken transmission and bell housing were the final straw to have the PO sell to family friend. The car obviously was in storage for quite a few years. I'm still attemping to find out more history of the car.

Thanks and all have a great weeken!

BEFOREAFTER

Date: June 27, 2010 06:02AM

purchased another transmission and will check it out prior to finishing up the engine work. I'll work the engine over later this fall. Still in the tear down mode and finding more issues. As is normal the fuel tank is really rusty and will need replacement.

I have more photo's to post... Hope this does not bore everyone. Thanks again for everyones interest and help.

BEFOREAFTER

Attachments:

Posted by: eds ()
Date: June 27, 2010 08:55AM

cecilw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I have more photo's to post... Hope this does not
> bore everyone.

For some reason this struck me as quite amusing! ggg

Date: June 28, 2010 07:31PM

FYI

I've had the motor out for a couple weeks. I have separated the transaxle/transmission and replaced the transmission due to broken housing. I believe I found the issue with all the oil.... broken pressure plate finger, causing everything to shake apart. The teeth on the flywheel nearly cut the bellhousing in half. I'm currently cleaning and flushing out both the replacement transmission and the transaxle. I'll post photo's when time allows.

Anyone have a opinion on the best flywheel to purchase.... Rebuilt bolted or one piece??

Thought someone may be interested in seeing the platform lift I used. Not cheap, but worked like a charm! Purchased from Northern Tools. I Line-X'ed the top to eliminate all slippage while the motor was pulled and when I work on the motor! You all know how slippery steel is when coated with oil!

Still cleaning/beadblasting all the small parts. Doing all my own powdercoating. Any part small enough to fit in my oven will be done. Semi gloss black.

Thanks and have a day!

BEFOREAFTER

Attachments:

Posted by: Wabbitkiller ()
Date: June 28, 2010 07:42PM

I wish I had a lift...

Chris

1965 Monza 95 Convertible 4 speed

Olathe, KS (Kansas City)

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: June 28, 2010 07:54PM

I like that lift too. You have a good start on things,good luck.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: June 28, 2010 07:54PM

Get a rebuilt, bolted flywheel.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Warner Robins, GA (15 miles south of Macon)

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: June 28, 2010 08:19PM

+1 for bolted. There is a reason Corvairs use a 3 piece flywheel.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: 69Corvairman ()
Date: June 28, 2010 09:50PM

Nice work!! Don't worry, this doesn't bore us. It's nice seeing before, during, and after pics of someone's handy work! It's also nice to see someone taking the time to keep another corvair out of the scrap yard! Good Luck with ur project and keep the updates coming!!!

Date: June 29, 2010 02:14AM

Photo's of damaged bellhousing, and pressure plate. I really do not understand how someone could drive a car while the pressure plate is literaly sawing the bellhousing in half??? Seems the damage was started when the case hardened clip broke inside the pressure plate, causing out of balance pressure plate, and sawing the bellhousing in two.

I do not look forward to the engine teardown and finding out how bad the crank bearings are. I'll post photo's when I tear into the motor.

BEFOREAFTER

Attachments:

Date: June 29, 2010 02:22AM

I will get a bolted flywheel when I get the $$$. Thanks for the advice.

BEFOREAFTER

Posted by: jimster1 ()
Date: June 29, 2010 02:31AM

Not a lot of boost? Eh?
Jim

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: June 29, 2010 02:49AM

I can't imagine driving it with the noise it must have been making...or vibration.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Warner Robins, GA (15 miles south of Macon)

Date: June 29, 2010 02:50AM

You might say that. Never attempted to drive it due to the overall condition of the drivetrain. po worked on the brakes, changed all rubber brake hoses, wheel cyl. and master cylinder.

Turbo has been worked on...don't know who or how well it was done?? Other than that I'm still finding issues.... more to come..

Rebuilt the front suspension and posted photo,s on another thread. Rear trailing arms are powder coated, new rear HD springs purchased and powdercoated and transmission mount sandblasted and powder coated. See attached photo,s. This is more fun than a guy should have!

BEFOREAFTER

Attachments:

Posted by: chris ()
Date: June 29, 2010 02:20PM

Looks like you're doing a nice job. I just can't believe that bellhousing!

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Posted by: Wabbitkiller ()
Date: June 29, 2010 02:44PM

(looks at the pictures of the bell housing) eye popping smiley

Holy (*$#! You would think they'd hear some sort of noise while driving it that way, possibly even some vibration.

Chris

1965 Monza 95 Convertible 4 speed

Olathe, KS (Kansas City)

Current Page: 1 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.