Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: OT - I'll get to enjoy having this in two weeks from yesterday...
Posted by: eds ()
Date: June 17, 2010 03:17PM

Ahh - I get it. So the breezeway is going to come forwards, towards the trees along the path, and the garage will sit to the left of it - making the front of your house/garage sort of L-shaped? Will be sweet!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: June 17, 2010 03:33PM

eds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ahh - I get it. So the breezeway is going to come
> forwards, towards the trees along the path, and
> the garage will sit to the left of it - making the
> front of your house/garage sort of L-shaped? Will
> be sweet!

By George I tihnk he has it. ggg

Yep, that way when visitors park in front of the garage they can walk to the right of the garage - entering the breezeway - which will take them to the front door as it raps around the garage and house. It will be the ONLY enternceway they see.

Plus with the lento style look of the breezeway on the right side of the garage - it will help me incroperate the work space, benches and storage area as the roof line will continue up to meet the side wall of the garage there will be about another 6 feet of space along that entire wall inside the garage. I'm doing this so it will not take up any valuable floor space, for cars and lifts, in the garage to be used for benches and whatnot.

In my head it sounds good - but lots of stuff in my head sounds good!! ROFLMBO...
I hear voices......

Date: June 18, 2010 01:32PM

I feel like a kid in a candy store; knowing I will soon be able to have the garage I have always wanted.
I went looking at barn pictures last night. It took three to give an idea of what I like our garage to look like.

More than likely I will have to do a lot of this in stages.
My mom always told me "I have champagne taste on a beer pocketbook." LOL

This over-all look with 2/3s of the lento closed in for shop space and the other 1/3 to the far right left open for the breezeway leading to the front door. NOTE: However, the garage walls will be at least 12 to 14 feet high for a car lift nad I would like stone rapped around the front and right lower area of the barn about knee high. The stone knee high wall would continue on the house, throughout the breezeway, leading all the way up to the front door. (see last picture)

I will have two garage doors like in this picture. Having two doors will let less heat out when I need to get a car in or out during the winter and I love the look. I also want to make them look like they swing open just like the ones someone did in a thread on here.

This picture shows how I would like the stone to be below the board and batten. Not sure what color and type of stone yet. Also note the thick board running across the front of the garage above the doors. I like this look too - it helps break up the massive look of a tall wall with all the board and batten running in the same direction.

Date: June 19, 2010 03:14AM

I forgot to mention - Our local building center put a flyer out a few weeks ago that has differnet style garage kits.

The Gambrel barn style garage like the picture above in the middle, is close to what I want, but only in a 24by32 with metal sides and roof and cost $18,100 for the complete kit less the concrete pad.

I'm hoping I can get at least a 30 wide and 40 long with metal roof and board and batten siding for around $22,000 to $25,000 and the rest in concrete work.

The biggest cost will be the concrete pad and the next one will be the floor joist for the second floor, becasue I want an open span in the garage area. My silly design and size ideas I think will add another 5k to the price of the building kit just for the floor joist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 03:22AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: chris ()
Date: June 19, 2010 04:00AM

Looks pretty cool. I'm jealous of all the room you will have!

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Date: June 19, 2010 11:53AM

Thanks!!

I'm jealous too... (Like a kid in a candy store - grinning from ear to ear)

I'm 50 and it only took me 30 years to get one - and I don't have it yet.
I still need the funds and time to build it. GGG

Posted by: eds ()
Date: June 19, 2010 01:21PM

Man, aren't you worried that such a fine looking barn/garage is going to make your house look tired? ggg
Really looks awesome, and the planning must be fun. I turn 50 this fall, and am likely to be moving houses within the year. Maybe it is something about the half century mark...

Date: June 19, 2010 01:47PM

Yep - Moving is no fun at any age! But it sure is harder on us older guys.. ggg

I told the MRS "Boss" this is my last move - you are either putting me in a nursing home of 6 feet under - but I'm not moving again... LOL

As for the garage looking better than the house; it will for some time. However, I have plans to blend/marry the two together so it does not look as if they were built at different times. The spring/summer time will give me time to work on our place and the fall/winter will give me time to work in the garage.

That way I can enjoy the fruits of my labor with each season. ggg

In the spring/summer I can enjoy taking out the car projects that I worked on in the winter.

And in the winter I can sit back in a nice looking WARM home and enjoy what I did during the spring/summer.. GG

Sound good in my mind - but where the energy is coming from I'm not sure - ROFLMBO

Good luck with what is going on with you,

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

(1) Marie's 1962 Convertible and our 1966 Ultravan #248 (aka Itchy Feet - Long Restoration)
(2) Our 1963 Rampside (Sold 2014) and 1967 Ultravan #256 at Upper Canada Valley car show in 2009.
(UV256 aak Itchy Feet II - corvair power plant came out 2012 - plans with donor for a GM 3.8L FWD conversion, as a gas pusher, in the back of UV256)
(3 & 4) Are some of our 11 Corvair parts cars - to help keep our stuff on the road - hopefully as long as we live. ;-)
(5) Is one of our Wayne 100 boats (Corvair powered)
(6) Nov 14, 2012 Ultravans #362 and #512 arrived. We are getting closer to our goal of having an Ultravan museum.
We now own; UV248, UV256, UV362, UV512, and UV520 will hopefully be here July 2013.
(7) I saved Ultravan #231 from the scarp yard this year. It arrived May 9, 2013 and I plan to flip this one with a mid-engine Subaru power plant.

Date: June 19, 2010 05:36PM

Thought this might be helpful too.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: June 19, 2010 05:59PM

Tony,
What will you use your "shop area" for? From the floor plan, it doesn't look very wide. Is it open to the "breezeway", or is there a wall of separation between them?

When I built my barn, one thing I did right was to make the concrete floor a nominal 6" thick with steel mesh reinforcement and vapor barrier. Most good lifts require the 6" depth.

Looks like you're putting a lot of time and effort in the planning. Good job!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: June 19, 2010 09:13PM

Thanks Kevin

It's been in the works for the past couple years. I studied drafting in highschool and AutoCad in college. I'm Not that good at it. I know just enough to get me in trouble. ggg

The shop area will be closed in from the breezeway. It will be about 40 feet long and hopefully 8 feet wide. There will be no windows. This will help with heating cost and break ins. Plus no one will be able to see when I'm up late working.

I will have benches in the shop area and it will also be where people can walk through without getting close to the cars. I also have all the space under the stairs at the back of the garage for storage too. And don't forget I have the large barn as well.

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

(1) Marie's 1962 Convertible and our 1966 Ultravan #248 (aka Itchy Feet - Long Restoration)
(2) Our 1963 Rampside (Sold 2014) and 1967 Ultravan #256 at Upper Canada Valley car show in 2009.
(UV256 aak Itchy Feet II - corvair power plant came out 2012 - plans with donor for a GM 3.8L FWD conversion, as a gas pusher, in the back of UV256)
(3 & 4) Are some of our 11 Corvair parts cars - to help keep our stuff on the road - hopefully as long as we live. ;-)
(5) Is one of our Wayne 100 boats (Corvair powered)
(6) Nov 14, 2012 Ultravans #362 and #512 arrived. We are getting closer to our goal of having an Ultravan museum.
We now own; UV248, UV256, UV362, UV512, and UV520 will hopefully be here July 2013.
(7) I saved Ultravan #231 from the scarp yard this year. It arrived May 9, 2013 and I plan to flip this one with a mid-engine Subaru power plant.

Date: June 25, 2010 12:12AM

Bump - Update....

Tomorrow is a big day - scary too!! Sign papers. grinning smiley

If all goes well we get the keys on Monday.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 25, 2010 12:31AM

Good luck and enjoy!

Now to get your boats there before winter!!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: owen ()
Date: June 25, 2010 12:38AM

Good luck Tony!!

Date: June 25, 2010 12:44AM

MattNall Wrote:
> Good luck and enjoy!
>
> Now to get your boats there before winter!!

Matt, Do I hear an offer in your wording.. GGG

Date: June 25, 2010 12:44AM

Thank you Owen

Date: June 25, 2010 01:18AM

Matt, speaking of boats; has the new owner of your boat hooked up to it yet?

I want a picture of how it looks. ggg

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 25, 2010 01:30AM

Sure has.. it's here at the Convention grounds....

Boat looks just like it did in the older pictures..

Only tragedy of the haul was the top ripped at a seam...after the cover vaporized after 1500 miles..

Allen's been enjoying all the attention I'm sure...

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: June 25, 2010 01:35AM

MattNall Wrote:
> Sure has.. it's here at the Convention
> grounds....
>
> Boat looks just like it did in the older
> pictures..
>
>
> Only tragedy of the haul was the top ripped at a
> seam...after the cover vaporized after 1500
> miles..
>
> Allen's been enjoying all the attention I'm
> sure...

Someone PLEASE get a picture of the two hooked together.

Thanks

Date: June 26, 2010 11:36AM

Here is a picture of the carpet that HAS to come out!!

Maybe someone wants it for their house or if you buy that custom 70's looking Corvair van you can use it as replacement, updated, carpet. ggg

But is it really an update to what is already there? LOL

Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.