Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
OT - What’s Going On Around The Farm..
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: June 15, 2010 03:01PM

Hello Everyone,

Some may already know - we go to closing in two weeks from yesterday.

I'll get to enjoy having this to store my parts cars.

Our new Barn

What I'll have to clean out before I can start using it for storage

More of what I'll have to clean out before I can start using it for storage

IF and when we have the funds I plan on removing the second floor and all the post holding it up. The engineer says I will only have to put in four large post and four new footings to hold up the entire roof system.

Then I'll hopefully be able to store our Ultravans too... ggg

Everyone is invited and I hope you will come - IF we end up having a car show every couple of years or so. smileys with beer

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

(1) Marie's 1962 Convertible and our 1966 Ultravan #248 (aka Itchy Feet - Long Restoration)
(2) Our 1963 Rampside (Sold 2014) and 1967 Ultravan #256 at Upper Canada Valley car show in 2009.
(UV256 aak Itchy Feet II - corvair power plant came out 2012 - plans with donor for a GM 3.8L FWD conversion, as a gas pusher, in the back of UV256)
(3 & 4) Are some of our 11 Corvair parts cars - to help keep our stuff on the road - hopefully as long as we live. ;-)
(5) Is one of our Wayne 100 boats (Corvair powered)
(6) Nov 14, 2012 Ultravans #362 and #512 arrived. We are getting closer to our goal of having an Ultravan museum.
We now own; UV248, UV256, UV362, UV512, and UV520 will hopefully be here July 2013.
(7) I saved Ultravan #231 from the scarp yard this year. It arrived May 9, 2013 and I plan to flip this one with a mid-engine Subaru power plant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 03:09PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - I'll get to enjoy having this in two weeks from yesterday...
Posted by: eds ()
Date: June 15, 2010 03:09PM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> IF and when we have the funds I plan on removing
> the second floor and all the post holding it up.

Looks so fun! Did you say it sits on 50+ acres? Would love to see more pics. Maybe dole them out slowly like Mel is doing, just to drive some folks crazy... ggg

If you pull those posts, beams and such, make sure you recycle the lumber. I'll bet you have a bunch of old growth heartwood, the likes of which you can't find these days. Maybe get it planed into fooring or panelling you can use elsewhere on you property.

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: June 15, 2010 03:25PM

Looks great!That will make one hell of a garage when done. I just dont like shoveling snow.gggg.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Date: June 15, 2010 04:13PM

Eds it sits on 154 acres - of peace and quiet. It is land locked and no real nieghbors.

Setterz - Me too... ggg
Even tho the turn-around is on our property the township clears the driveway every winter and levels it every spring. thumbs up Got to love that = less work for me.... LOL

Date: June 15, 2010 05:54PM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> Eds it sits on 154 acres - of peace and quiet. It
> is land locked and no real nieghbors.
>

Wow - I envy you. Well except for the whole "further north than I already am in Chicago" part. I have no doubt my neighbors would appreciate a 154 acre buffer from me! ggg

Date: June 15, 2010 07:05PM

Thanks Eds and Yep to "some" nieghbors. Our next door neighbor at our current place turned me into the by-law officer of this township, almost two years ago now, for my Corvairs sitting along the wood line in the forth pic at bottom of page. One of the reasons we are moving and moving out of this township too.

Why spend 30 to 40k building a garge/storage building in a township that treats you like drit, without hearing your side of things before they mail a nasty letter telling you; you have only 21 days to clean the place up or they will come on your property and do it and bill your tax record until you pay it. And only when you call - asking questions - do they say - we want to work with you. But then again they will not put a thing in writing saying you complied. Why give them any more Taxes for improvements to our property.

The other reason we are moving is to down size.

People who know us and our current property LAUGH at this one....
Current place = 11 acres
New place = 154 acres LOL

Now that you too may of had a good laugh.. gg
The down size is:
a) 4,000sf house on four levels to 1,800sf house all on one level = for those of us "ME" who are getting older.
b) reducing our debt, by tens of thousands, before building my new garge.

We are like most people, throughout the USA and Canada, living day by day with nothing in the bank and nothing for retirement. So down sizing or reducing debt is the only way we can keep a float or stay ahead of the game now a days. We want a simpler life style and to enjoy what we have. Not to have to work so much, until we are in the grave, just to pay for things.

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

(1) Marie's 1962 Convertible and our 1966 Ultravan #248 (aka Itchy Feet - Long Restoration)
(2) Our 1963 Rampside (Sold 2014) and 1967 Ultravan #256 at Upper Canada Valley car show in 2009.
(UV256 aak Itchy Feet II - corvair power plant came out 2012 - plans with donor for a GM 3.8L FWD conversion, as a gas pusher, in the back of UV256)
(3 & 4) Are some of our 11 Corvair parts cars - to help keep our stuff on the road - hopefully as long as we live. ;-)
(6) Nov 14, 2012 Ultravans #362 and #512 arrived. We are getting closer to our goal of having an Ultravan museum.
We now own; UV248, UV256, UV362, UV512, and UV520 will hopefully be here July 2013.
(7) I saved Ultravan #231 from the scarp yard this year. It arrived May 9, 2013 and I plan to flip this one with a mid-engine Subaru power plant.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2010 07:09PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: brocklanders ()
Date: June 15, 2010 11:48PM

You're making the right decisions, nice place too!!

One day when I get the Corvair running right, I need to make the couple hour trip to see your property and cars!

1968 500 coupe 110 pg
1967 Fitch Sprint 4 door
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

Date: June 16, 2010 11:37AM

Brocklanders, Your welcome to come up after we are settled...

BTW - If you want you can come up to either help me

1) clean out the barn or

2) help me put up the new garage. LOL gg

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

Date: June 16, 2010 12:05PM

Just for Eds. A little teaser... ggg

Don't you just love all that snow - yuckoooo LOL

Front view of house in winter

Date: June 16, 2010 01:45PM

Don't look now, but there's a DEER on your front lawn! ggg

Any chance you'd be willing to post an approx location so I can look it up on Goole Maps and drool while I'm trying to avoid work here?

Date: June 16, 2010 01:55PM

Eds, there is not one, but two deer. ggg

Sent you a PM

Posted by: freeulster ()
Date: June 16, 2010 03:19PM

Tony, about your remarks on living day to day and downsizing, all I can say is Amen brother.

Kent Donnelly
Living in sunny Brigantine Beach NJ
64 Vert
Philadelphia Corvair Assoc and CORSA
"EM's are faster than LM's because we don't have all those extra lug nuts weighting us down"

Posted by: dan giannotti ()
Date: June 16, 2010 04:10PM

Smart man, making all the right moves....

Date: June 16, 2010 08:09PM

dan giannotti Wrote:
> Smart man, making all the right moves....

NO!!

Great woman - Willing to go through it all with me. thumbs up

Date: June 17, 2010 02:39AM

Okay - I hope I can do this justice - I'm bad at putting my thoughts in writing.

Picture if you will where the brick siding meets the white siding on the back side of the house.
At that corner walk 8 to 10 feet out from the brick side towards the first tree, closest to the house, that is along side of the path made in the snow by us going to the back door. That will be the breezeway, right where those two trees are. The breezeway will force people who are visiting to come to our front door. There will be no way for them to see, or get to, the back door once all this is completed.

To the left of the breezeway will be the storage area as part of the new garage. From the front view of the garage the storage area will be part of the breezeway and look like a lento attached to the right side of the garage. The new garage will be a gambrel barn style garage – I love the look. The garage part it self, without the storage area, It will be 30 to 34 feet wide and 40 to 42 feet long. Once the new garage is built I will have 48 to 52 feet less snow to remove each snow fall. GG

BTW - I love the look and hope to copy what someone on here did with their garage doors. Sorry, I'm bad with names and my memory over-all is bad due to my two major head injuries. The look however, was so cool and goes well with the country style look I'm after - I just have to copy it.

There will be a second story for storage in the front half and a guest room on the back half. (I might have to store used oil and nasty/smelly stuff in the back side of the second floor to keep visitors from wanting to stay to long. gg ROFLMBO)

I’m hoping to build this for $30,000 or less. Fingers crossed! gg But no more than 40k.
On the brick side where the two large windows flank the fireplace will also be part of the new breezeway. It will attach to the current breezeway at the front part of the house, to the far right, see picture above "Front View." It might cost me 5 to 8k above the 30k for the garage. However, I’m hoping to do most of the work myself to help cut cost.

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: June 17, 2010 04:30AM

Nice barn, congrats! Hope you have lots of cats to keep the rats from eating the stuffing out of the seats in your cars--they love that stuff!

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Date: June 17, 2010 12:37PM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> Okay - I hope I can do this justice - I'm bad at
> putting my thoughts in writing.

I nominate this for the understatement of the year! ggg

MAN, I gots a headache from trying to follow that. If it is all right for you, I'll wait for "in progress" pics. Planning on starting this spring? Most of your snow should be gone by August!

Sounds like a fun project.

Posted by: wagbear ()
Date: June 17, 2010 01:24PM

Is that place haunted ?

Date: June 17, 2010 02:03PM

NO we just hide dead bodies - unwanted visitors GG

Come visit - but don't call first LOL

Date: June 17, 2010 02:41PM

Ed, Sorry about the headache. ggg
Maybe this might help some - until I have drawings/pictures...

Picture if you will where the brick siding meets the white siding (Corner I'm talking about) on the back side of the house.

At that corner walk 8 to 10 feet out from the brick side towards the (First Tree) closest to the house, that is along side of the (Path made in the snow) by us going to the (Back Door). That will be the breezeway, right where those two trees are. The breezeway will force people who are visiting to come to our front door. There will be no way for them to see, or get to, the back door once all this is completed.

To the left of the breezeway will be the storage area as part of the new garage. From the front view of the garage the storage area will be part of the breezeway and look like a lento attached to the right side of the garage. The new garage will be a gambrel barn style garage – I love the look. The garage part it self, without the storage area, It will be 30 to 34 feet wide and 40 to 42 feet long. Once the new garage is built I will have 48 to 52 feet less snow to remove each snow fall. GG

Note: In the picture where it says: Corner I'm talking about - should be where the front of the garage will be. The garage will go back toward that corner and stop about 8 to 10 feet away. The back of the garage will have its own breezeway to the back of the house. This breezeway will have 4 feet high walls with screens above to help keep snow from blowing on the walkway to the back door, while still allowing air to flow - hleping to keep nasty smells from entering the house. The Boss aporves of this. gg

There will be a second story for storage in the front half and a guest room on the back half.

I’m hoping to build this for $30,000 or less. Fingers crossed! gg But no more than 40k.
On the brick side where the two large windows flank the (Fireplace) will also be part of the new breezeway. It will attach to the current breezeway at the front part of the house, to the far right, see picture above "Front View." It might cost me 5 to 8k above the 30k for the garage. However, I’m hoping to do most of the work myself to help cut cost.

Pages: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.