Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: OT - What’s Going On Around The Farm..
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: June 01, 2011 03:21AM

Matt, Trans Canada has two pipe lines just before the one being repaired by a different oil company. Trans Canada made the other company build up the roadbed, like a bridge, to protect their pipes from the heavy equipment that will be going over Trans Canada’s two pipe lines while repairing their pipe.

Update:

By the end of today two of the four pipe sections that are being repaired on the property have now been covered back up. They were welding a sleeve on the one section closest to the farm house today and I guess they hope to finish it in the next few days. Then they get it inspected and cover it up. The one at the bottom of the hill had two feet of water up to the bottom of the pipe and the 4by8 sheets of plywood they use to walk on around both sides of the pipe were floating. And they still have to repair the one section or the fifth dig just west of our property where they built the second road along side our barn. I’ll take some pictures soon.

I got my step-father’s 2WD F-150 stuck half way back on the farm property today. I asked the foreman if someone could come pull me out with one of their 4x4s and he was NO help. He has never been a people person since I met him. He always wants to show that he is right. GGG

Back to the stuck F-150 to ggg – After asking you know who for help – I walked back to the farm and got the Toyota with no brakes. I placed it in what I thought was a nice spot, far from the truck, and got it stuck too. LOL
Then I pulled the electric winch out of the truck and mounted it on the front of the Toyota, because its battery would be closer to hook up to the winch, and it pulled the truck out, but the car blocked the truck from going around until the car was moved. Using the winch dug the front end of the Toyota into the mud even deeper. So I walked back to the farm and waited for our neighbor to get home from work. He came down with his 4WD truck and pulled them both out. I now owe him another dinner – that makes two. Not that he asked for this one – he is kind, we get along well, I think we will become good friends, I think it is a nice thing to do and he is by himself.

What did I learn? Don’t be stupid when it is 105 with the heat index. GGG
I learned when we first got the farm; one has to have a truck, to haul things, when you live in the country. Today I learned; if one is going to go off road you need a 4WD truck to boot. ROFLMBO ggg

BTW - I offered to help this same neighbor this past winter and again today and when things dry up some more we will dig up and replace the pipe from his house to his septic tank – so the water will not freeze next winter. It must have some way of allowing a small amount of water to settle, in the pipe going to the tank, and then it freezes up over time. I guess ( -40f ) can do that. ggg

All the Best, Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 16, 2011 04:20PM

We are steps closer to getting our property back.

They just filled in Dig Site #5 and removed the entire roadbed from where I wanted on our property to the dig site itself.

This is where they used the fill from picture above. I had them build a laneway off the west roadbed behind the barn.

This might give you an idea of how far north of the house this site is.

This is where the laneway ends. It is where I will be storing the other roadbed fill used on the east side of the property.
Lord willing this is also where I hope to build my garage and will be using the fill as a base for the concrete pad.
Just to hear those words – “my garage” is sound to my ears.
At 51 it has been a long time coming and I hope I get there soon; so I can enjoy it. GGG

This is Dig Site #4 and they were getting ready to back fill it when I took this picture.
The protective rap is to do just that; protect the pipe from rocks damaging the coating while they back fill the site.

This Picture shows how far this site is from dig site #5 shown in the first picture I posted in this post.
The truck is where I stood when taking the first picture on this post.

Thank you for reading along..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2011 04:24PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Date: June 25, 2011 04:13AM

This is where the laneway ends. It is where I will be storing the other roadbed fill used on the east side of the property.
Lord willing this is also where I hope to build my garage and will be using the fill as a base for the concrete pad.
Just to hear those words – “my garage” is sound to my ears.
At 51 it has been a long time coming and I hope I get there soon; so I can enjoy it. GGG

This is where the barn will be and it will sit just to the right of the bushes on the left.
I will try to save the large bushes on the right side and transplant them elsewhere.

This is what I have been overseeing for the past week. A total of 137 truck loads were moved from the east side roadbed to be stored here.
At 10 tons per truck load it is a lot of fill and it will remain stored here until we have the funds to dig the foundation for the concrete pad for our barn.

At first we started piling each truck load.

Driver allowed his truck to roll too far.

Sunk right to the axles.

They had to float the dozer over to this side of the property to get him out.
(If you look closely you can see Ultravan #256, aka Itchy Feet II, in the back ground.
I was airing out Itchy Feet II and using it at the same time to protect myself from the sun while I made sure they were putting the fill where I wanted it.)

After that is when we decided to start making a ramp.

Another truck rolled too far and got stuck.

Dozer had no luck pulling this one out; so he had to lift it and push it out at the same time.

Ramp taking shape.

Ramp getting bigger.

Ramp finished and all the fill is stored in place.

Kyle is 6’ 2” to give some idea of just how high this is.

Kyle stayed in place and turned around to show how far back it went.

Again this shows how high it is and that the pile is not past the power lines - which is a big no no! ggg

Back side of the pile.

Man that is a lot of fill.

My back is killing me.
We finished at 3pm today and if I still drank it would have been miller time. GGG
But it is the start of the weekend. Two days of rest and relaxation!
I do hope I'm able to finish the barn soon. I really want to be able to start many new threads of my Corvair projects. GGG

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: June 25, 2011 12:05PM

It looks like your soil has different seasons:
Summer = quicksand
Fall = semi frozen tundra
Winter = snowmobile trails
Spring = waterfilled bogs
smileys with beer

Date: June 25, 2011 12:36PM

Ed Dowds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like your soil has different seasons:
> Summer = quicksand
> Fall = semi frozen tundra
> Winter = snowmobile trails
> Spring = waterfilled bogs
> smileys with beer

Ed,

Since I moved up here, from the USA, just over 10 years ago; I have learned there is only summer and winter. ggg
Sad thing too; winter is longer and down right cold.

Date: January 07, 2012 02:18AM

Took Marie's video recorder to the farm the other day and made my first video. ggg

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 07, 2012 02:46AM

You did well!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: January 07, 2012 03:51AM

Good job, Tony!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: January 07, 2012 06:18PM

If you have been visiting this thread you have already seen the front of the property. When I first saw this place - I pictured how well it was laid out for a car show.
The lower/front fields would be ideal parking for spectators and those who come trailing their cars.
The barn would be the paying/entry area
The gate behind the barn would be where the tickets get checked to let you in to the event.
The area behind where I like to have my garage, hopefully someday soon – fingers crossed – ggg, would work great for vendors and a band.
The field just past the vendors and band which is inside the fence once I turn left, towards the yellow signs, would make a great staging area to display the cars. This should be large enough for years to come. But if it should grow into something much larger - we have more fields - See Part 2.

What do you think?

Going for a walk on the back of our farm property, come along....

I had to make sure all the gates were unlocked and opened for the snowmobile club. They changed the locks on the 2 outer gates so they can use one key on the entire trail when they need to groom it. However, we have 3 gates on the back of the property. I received a phone call asking me to please unlock the middle gate. So I thought while I was unlocking that gate and making sure all the gates where open; I would play with Marie's new video recorder and show her what it is like to walk the farm property in the back.

I used the video recorder once before and thought that video was going to be my first video. But I recorded the entire clip sideways and did not know a thing about video recording and posting and how hard it would be to rotate it. After days of asking questions and trying things out I got it worked out, facing the right way, and posted that video first - seen earlier. So this is now my second video – part 1 - even though I kept saying in it that it was my first. I might get the hang of this technology some day. GGG – LOL

Walking the Back of the Farm Part 1

Walking the Back of the Farm Part 2 coming soon.

Date: January 07, 2012 06:58PM

Part 2 I continue my walk on the back of our farm property. Come along.
Are you still with us?

This video shows what it is like from when I opened the middle gate, how much farther back the property goes and the other fields.

Once I open the gate and walk in I picture the first field to the right used for antiques/classic cars.
I don’t think there be too many, until the show grows.

The second field which is farther down and on the left would be great for RVs and those who would like to camp on the property during the event.
It is off the beaten path with lots of privacy. Would be great for camping.

If the event does end up becoming much larger; we could use the two fields mentioned above for more car displays and reduce the amount of space for camping.

What do you think?

Walking the Back of the Farm Part 2

Hope you enjoyed them. Thanks for watching.

Tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 07:02PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Date: January 07, 2012 11:07PM

Thanks Matt and Kevin

Date: March 24, 2012 06:11PM

Update

Lots of back breaking work has been going on around the farm. Thanks to my mom for lending us the funds to buy the padding – so I can finally get our flooring down.
(That padding for; 3 bedrooms, 1 office, and 2 halls cost $715ca)

I’ve been scraping up the old carpet padding, throughout the house, that was glued to the concrete floor.

Here is a before picture of bedroom 2 where I just finished removing the carpet padding and the closet.
I'm getting ready to install the new flooring Marie and I had purchased almost 2 years early back when we purchased this farm.

Here I'm standing in the hallway looking into the room after I had installed the flooring.

Here I'm near the window, like in picture No. 1, looking towards where the closet use to be.

This will be Marie’s office. To help cut down the noise, from the furnace room, I removed part of the drywall and installed that soundproofing insulation. While I had the wall open I also install some conduit to make it much easier to pull the new wires in and out of her office for the new phone line and computer hook up.

The Tower is finally going up after all this time. I was up past midnight last night working the concrete.
We finished the pour about 4:30 and it took that long and many times of working the concrete until it was dry enough to cover it and leave it alone.
I will be so happy when it is up and we have internet service at the farm.

Looking at the tower from the other side. The old carpet is to help keep the cold away from the concrete.

I also used some old cardboard to help cover the concrete in the middle of the tower.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 06:15PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: March 24, 2012 10:15PM

Tony, you've been busy!
Looks like you're finally enjoying seeing some projects near completion.
Looks great!
You were working on the tower base before winter.... what's the temperature been like lately?
Keep up the updates.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: March 24, 2012 10:21PM

About time!!

Date: March 26, 2012 05:02PM

Thanks Kevin

I finished up the racked post on the back porch in late fall. (video above)
I then moved on to the hole for the tower in winter.

I would have had the towr done a while ago if it was not for odd weather and someone messing with my work. (They zipped the left zipper all the way up and went inside and pulled all the carpets back to expose the hole I dug. With it being very cold - back then – it froze solid; about a foot of water in the bottom and the ground below.) There was no safe way to pour until it thawed out. That caused more earth to cave in and hours of more work to clean that out.

I’m just happy that part is over. ggg

I’ll also be happy when I have my garage and can start posting Corvair stuff and car projects. ggg

Date: March 26, 2012 06:23PM

Some other additions at the farm. ggg

I took the Bambinos over a week ago and this was their morning meal before I let them run loose for the first time.
Thank God they came back - before sun down - to safety on the porch for a good night sleep. I let them run free today while I'm at the other house for a while.

Bambinos on the run

Olive catching up

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: March 26, 2012 06:29PM

Looks like they had fun. Our cats are fully declawed, so indoors only for them.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Warner Robins, GA (15 miles south of Macon)

Date: March 28, 2012 09:51PM

Sad to say; I had to do the flooring in the bathroom twice.
The concrete was unlevel and when you walked on the new click-in flooring you could really feel it.

So I reworked the area and laid the floor down again.
Boy oh boy to make all those cuts for the baseboard moldings.

Now if I can only figure out how to make the last two little pieces for in front of the bathtub.

The Jack-n-Jill bathroom before.
For those who might not have seen this picture when I first started this post - take note of the carpet - in a bathroom = nasty. ggg

The Jack-n-Jill bathroom after I removed the nasty old carpet and installed the new flooring.
This flooring, in the bath room only, is temporary.
We purchased this flooring at a great price and are able to cover the entire house. We will replace the stuff in the bathroom with tiles once we have the funds.

The Jack-n-Jill bathroom picture No.2 after

Tonight I plan to start work on the small hallway just outside the Jack-n-Jill bathroom and hopefully will have it finished tomorrow. Then on to the main hallway that leads to the master bedroom.

I have another closet to also remove. It is in the master bedroom and you see it when walking down the main hall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 09:52PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Date: March 28, 2012 10:00PM

I don't envy you! I have a friend who has decided to LEVEL the floors in her home, the only New Mexico style house in Coos Bay... She's been at it 3 mths ....almost done... in tile..

Date: April 02, 2012 06:25PM

Another Update:

I would rather it be about Car stuff – like I’m sure most of you would also like it to be.
But sadly it is not – not yet.
I'm doing my best to get everything done so I can get back to our Corvairs.
Fingers crossed hopefully very soon.

I did get the flooring done in the small hall and into the third bedroom, by Friday the 30th. I also found a new friend that day. ggg

On Saturday I was able to cut a few acres of grass. I also moved the portable car cover from over the internet tower out to the driveway. I have a video, I will post later, of some of that fun. ggg

This picture I'm standing in the second bedroom looking down the hall into the third bedroom.

This picture I'm standing in the third bedroom looking down the hall into the second bedroom.

Here are some pictures of my new friend. ggg
(BTW - No you cannot hunt on our property. lol)

Thanks for viewing - even though it is not about Corvair stuff - yet. smiling smiley

Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.