Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 19 of 21
Re: Worlds OLDEST CORVAIR found and purchased eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileysmiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: March 17, 2012 03:38PM

vairchet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, generator cast iron end frames were
> available on heavy duty units (FC and AC equipped)
> until '64. They used 6302 ball bearings on aft end
> instead of bronze bushings. In fact, the armature
> was designed for ball bearings at both ends.

Now that's interesting! I'm going to have to go though my generators and see if there's a ball bearing unit among them. My Rampside would rather have a cool generator than a generic generator or alternator. winking smiley Thanks for sharing Chet!

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)

19 Tons of parts in boxes

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worlds OLDEST CORVAIR found and purchased eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileysmiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: Ray W ()
Date: March 17, 2012 04:30PM

If you can't find a suitable replacement for the foam filter element, you can make your own. What you need is 60 pore per inch reticulated (open cell) polyeurethane foam. I make filters for my motorcycle by cutting a strip of the right dimensions and sewing the ends together. Airtex 86000 foam is available at at the local A-1 Foam store in various thicknesses. If you can't find it through a store, I would think it can be found on line.

Ray W

Minneapolis

66 500 Coupe 95/4spd

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: March 17, 2012 04:31PM

vairchet Wrote:
> Actually, generator cast iron end frames were
> available on heavy duty units (FC and AC equipped)
> until '64. They used 6302 ball bearings on aft end
> instead of bronze bushings. In fact, the armature
> was designed for ball bearings at both ends.

confused smiley Are you sure Chet? the "rear frame" of generator pictured in my previous post uses a bronze bushing ..... ball bearing in front frame confused smiley Do you have a picture of the heavy duty FC & AC cast iron generators?smiling smiley

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: March 17, 2012 04:47PM

Large HD generator with ball bearings at both ends.

Date: March 17, 2012 04:51PM

thumbs upThats what I needed to see, thanks thumbs up but I see it uses a bearing in the rear frameeye popping smiley I still think the generator my friend found is a prehistoric version of the FC & AC iron generators, using a bronze rear bearing.Melsmiling smiley

Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:05PM

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: March 20, 2012 05:02AM

Here's an example of a double ball bearing generator:

Attachments:

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: March 20, 2012 05:07AM

....And here's the difference of generator end frames/covers:

Attachments:

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: March 20, 2012 06:24AM

By any chance was the heavy-duty generator with ball bearings the same one used on all the larger GM cars? It would make sense to me. The larger cars GM made in the early-mid 60s had much heavier duty parts on them than the smaller cars did. My 60 Olds Dynamic 88 had huge brakes and finned drums. Once, while changing a tire, the bumper jack let loose, and the car landed on the brake drum (on concrete), with no damage whatsoever.

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Date: June 24, 2012 01:26PM

I found a SUPER RARE new old stock eye popping smiley notchless headlight bezel on ebay and I just recieved it in the mailsmiling bouncing smiley.I had to pay LARGE for itsad smiley sharp seller knew it was a first design bezel.

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Attachments:

Date: September 11, 2012 10:18PM

Cross section of original 1961 Corvair whitewall tiresmiling smiley, you can see the large amount of unexposed whitewall rubber in the sidewalleye popping smiley more of the white rubber was exposed in the very wide 1960 whitewallsthumbs up.

Attachments:

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: September 12, 2012 03:36AM

Mel my Dad has what I think are some early short generator parts. He has a NOS set of fields and a NOS armature. Send me a PM if they are something you might be interested in and I will put you guys in touch. Both numbers come up as 60 Corvair only.

Sam Russell
Chapel Hill NC
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: September 12, 2012 03:42AM

Love that tire, one of my Dads friend has the rig for cutting the tire side walls and for painting them if necessary. I saw them widen whitewalls and add a redline to a tire that never had one.

Sam Russell
Chapel Hill NC
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 12, 2012 11:19PM

Mel Wrote:
> Cross section of original 1961 Corvair whitewall
> tiresmiling smiley, you can see the large amount of unexposed
> whitewall rubber in the sidewalleye popping smiley more of the
> white rubber was exposed in the very wide 1960
> whitewallsthumbs up.

The design of ALL whitewall tires is that way - current ones too, though the white strip is probably not 2" wide, it is wider than the exposed stripe. Just rub the curb a while - you'll see! Same story goes for white letter -its a whole white strip.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: September 13, 2012 12:12AM

2" GGGG eye rolling smiley that white section is just shy of 3" wideeye popping smiley that a pretty large band of white rubber on a dinky 13" tiredrinking smiley

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: September 13, 2012 02:33AM

Love it!

Posted by: handswheels ()
Date: September 13, 2012 10:31PM

Back to the generator subject for a second. I was just watching a Mecom auction on Velocity Channel, they were showing a 57 BelAir stock 283 V8, the power steering pump was attached and driven on the back of the generator! That could be a reason why some early gens had such a beefy bearing on the back. Carry over from the full size generator (sans the PS pump on the Vair).

Handswheels
Millennium Park, Chicago
1965 Monza 110 PG Coupe - Orsen

Posted by: rjennings ()
Date: October 30, 2012 12:55AM

Mel,
My name is Robert Jennings and I am the admistrator of the CORSA special interest chapter 003, CAVEMAN CORVAIRS, THE 1960 GROUP. We have a Facebook Page; [www.facebook.com] , and a Facebook Group; [www.facebook.com] and I invite you to join the group and like the page.

Robert Jennings
Morenci, MI
517-458-1586
rjennings@cass.net

1960 700 CLUB COUPE
1960 MONZA

VICE PRESIDENT - DACC
PRESIDENT - IRISH HILLS REGION, AACA
ADMINISTRATOR - "1960 CAVEMAN CORVAIR" Facebook group
ADMINISTRATOR - "CAVEMAN CORVAIRS, THE 1960 GROUP" CORSA special interest chapter 003

Date: October 30, 2012 02:10AM

Will do thumbs upsmiling smiley

Date: January 19, 2013 02:39PM

I just puchased a nice (NOS GM ?) gasoline heater exhaust pipe to keep in stock for #272smiling bouncing smiley. Got it from Jasvairthumbs up on ebay, Clarks sells a repro exhaust pipe but likey not a nice as this original example.Very rare piece.

Attachments:

Current Page: 19 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.