Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 18 of 23
Re: Worlds OLDEST CORVAIR found and purchased eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileysmiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: gwydionjhr ()
Date: August 15, 2011 06:48PM

WAIT! There is beer involved?!?

I take that back! My answer was first! Ignore all that stuff I said about Eric's post.

Regards,
Joel Rushworth
1961 Rampside w/Deluxe Scamper Camper
1966 Corsized Cdn Monza Coupe
1967 UV #292
"Kick the Hell out of the Status Quo" - Ed Cole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worlds OLDEST CORVAIR found and purchased eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileysmiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: Mel ()
Date: August 15, 2011 06:48PM

OK OK .....three cases of beer are in the mail smileys with beer LOL

Posted by: ubuck ()
Date: October 24, 2011 04:27PM

I found 9776 in a bone yard in Indiana this weekend. No horn slots, FYI. Automatic, Tasco Turquoise (weren't they all!?) sedan. With complete belt line molding and the rest of the trim present. It's salvagable but not for sale. Couldn't get a reason why. sad smiley

Not really rare, but unbelievably, it hasn't been turned into a washer or dryer by now!

Brian
63 Monza Convertibile Sprint Clone
64 Monza Coupe Sprint Clone
65 Monza Convertible
66 Corsa Convertible
69 Grand Prix Model J
2004 SSR

South Holland, IL

Corsa/CCE

"Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be." Ashleigh Brilliant

Date: December 03, 2011 07:37AM

I knew the very very early Cavemans used a oil- wetted polyurethane air cleaning element but information and pictures are hard to come bysad smiley I finally found some pics and info.......the metal screen that holds the foam element is 3" tall and about 6 1/2" in diameter. I'm still looking for an original foam element.smiling smiley

Attachments:

Date: December 03, 2011 07:39AM

smiling smiley

Attachments:

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: December 03, 2011 07:47AM

I had 10 of those in the original packaging Mel,,I opened every one of them up one day and they turned to powder in my hands,,when I say powder I mean when you touched the foam it just turned to dust! Might be kinda hard to find a Good original filter these day I think? confused smiley

Date: December 03, 2011 07:58AM

Interesting Dave,,,,I wonder what the part number was?? I haven't found that out yetsad smiley

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: December 03, 2011 08:04AM

I had original Turbo foam filters also and they turned to dust as well,,Kinda hard to store foam and rubber stuff here in the dry desert summer heat,,but no rust! so ts a good trade off IMO.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: December 03, 2011 08:08AM

Foam does that. I have a pare of Sony noise cancelling headphones where the foam turned to dust at 14 months or so. Of course Sony will sell you a new set of foam for $20 plus shipping, duties, etc.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: SSpeed66 ()
Date: December 03, 2011 11:40AM

Just a sidenote Mel, dirtbikes/ATVs use that same style of foamthumbs up element if you cannot find a GM replacement

Al Macaulay - Okanagan Valley, BC
Western Canada Corsa

Link to my Corsa build- [corvaircenter.com]
Link to my Cobra boat Project- [www.sidewinder-boats.com]

66 Corsa 140 HT - 402BBC/Turbo 425, 66 CDN Corsa 'Vert 140, 79 Cobra 16SS/Merc 1500, 69 Triumph Trident Chopper, 67 BSA Lightning Custom
Cobra Custom Metal Design/ God Bless Canada

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: December 03, 2011 12:01PM

Mel, the part number of the filter is silkscreened on the housing. 99 comes to mind. I have bought some of the NOS turbo filters like this and they do crumble and what is worse is that if you try to use them the crumblies get sucked in and foul your sparkplugs. So, don't use an NOS one for anything but a model for getting a repro made.
Crawford

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: December 03, 2011 12:53PM

Mel,

Will this help?

Upper photo is U.S. version, lower photo is Canadian:

Attachments:

Date: December 03, 2011 01:05PM

Thanks Vairchet, thumbs up

Date: December 03, 2011 01:14PM

Perhaps this could be of use for a replacement foam filter element: [www.unifilter.com]

Date: February 18, 2012 04:58PM

The replacement generator on the WOC was a bit too new (June 24/1959)to have been originally installed at the factory so I have been looking for a generator that would be old enough to be proper. A friend of mine found another short Corvair 9" generator at a swap meet in the USA and he gave it to mesmiling bouncing smiley.It doesn't have the regular red & silver tag riveted to the main housingsad smiley but has the date and model number stamped directly into the housing insteadeye popping smileyI think this generator might be proper for a very very early production Corvair because the end bearing plates are made of cast iron instead of aluminumeye popping smiley I have never seen any other Corvair generators that uses cast iron.confused smileyHere are some pictures to compare the cast iron and aluminum end plates.The cast iron plates are 3x's the weight sad smileyof the alum plates.

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 18, 2012 05:06PM

Details!! Details!! gg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: February 18, 2012 07:26PM

What is the date of the engine build? My car which is 103 units up the line from yours had a May '59 built engine and a May '59 date on the generator. I may check tomorrow out in the garage to verify the dates, but I remember them both to be in the May timeframe. Remember that both of our cars were built on the 2nd day of production - July 10, 1959 (a Friday?). - Caveman Pete

Date: March 17, 2012 05:19AM

I found some more pictures of the early oil wetted air cleanersmiling bouncing smiley, I had to enlarge the picssad smiley but they turned out OKsmiling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Attachments:

Date: March 17, 2012 06:58AM

Great thread, amazing how much the car progressed from 60 to 69...I understand the Caveman reference now!

Date: March 17, 2012 08:00AM

Actually, generator cast iron end frames were available on heavy duty units (FC and AC equipped) until '64. They used 6302 ball bearings on aft end instead of bronze bushings. In fact, the armature was designed for ball bearings at both ends.

Current Page: 18 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.