Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 15 of 23
Re: Worlds OLDEST CORVAIR found and purchased eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileysmiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: Mel ()
Date: February 12, 2011 01:50PM

Here's are some pics of the PULLEY UNIT,conversion,w/belt,(Check out that priceeye popping smiley) I think this is the upgrade kit that has a deeper pulley to retain the drive belt better. The aluminum bracket has been changed as well having a bit more material added to the outside of the adjustment slot.smiling smiley Original GM belt is shown part number 3780981

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worlds OLDEST CORVAIR found and purchased eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileysmiling bouncing smiley
Date: February 12, 2011 01:51PM

smiling smiley Strengthened bracket pics

Attachments:

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: February 12, 2011 01:56PM

Was the belt colored yellow out of the box or did you do that to read the number?

Very Interesting.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Spyder coupe

Date: February 12, 2011 02:04PM

SpyderMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was the belt colored yellow out of the box or did
> you do that to read the number?
>
It has a small square yellow mark painted on the belt to the right of the part number(the small yellow square is factory) ...... I used yellow tire crayon to make part # etc number more visable in photo.smiling smiley

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: February 12, 2011 03:22PM

Thanks for posting all the photos Mel!

It's a real treat to see the history unfold.

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Date: February 20, 2011 01:59PM

Here's some pictures of the early deep dish hubcaps compared to the later shallow hubcaps. I think the problem with the early deep dish caps was they were prone to getting clobbered by curbs etcsad smiley. smiling smiley

Attachments:

Posted by: 65 Crown Corsa ()
Date: February 20, 2011 02:05PM

Wow was this car packed in boxes when you got it, because most every pic is something NOS~!

Ed
65 Crown/Wills Corsa
WPB Florida

Date: February 20, 2011 02:09PM

A few items where in the trunk..... but most of the NOS items pictured are from my 1960 Corvair NOS parts collection.smiling smiley

Posted by: danyarger ()
Date: February 20, 2011 10:37PM

Please show a picture of the whole car

Posted by: shortstrokevair ()
Date: February 20, 2011 10:46PM

Hub caps, early to late? wtf? Dude, the two different caps are 60 and 61. 1960 uses the deeper style, and 61 uses the shallower style. These are not both 60 caps..

Vair Rides:
1960 Corvair 700 Coupe, 140 H.P Head, 170Cu-In w/disc brakes, 3.2 1st-gear 4-speed, 3.55 Posi, Daliy Driver
1961 Corvair 700 Coupe, 140 H.P Head, 147Cu-In w/4-speed, currently collecting parts and "in-progress"
Non Vair Rides:
1963 Dodge 330 2/door sedan, 361cu-in, 4-speed, 4.10 Sure Grip (Race/Street car)
1963 Valiant V200 4 door, slant six auto (every one has to own one four door)
1965 Dodge Dart 170 2/door sedan, 225 Slant six, 4-speed, 3.23 Sure Grip. Secondary Daliy Driver to 60'Vair
1966 Dodge Dart 170 2/door sedan, 340 cu-in, crashbox 4-speed, 4.56 Spool (Race/Street/First car)

Date: February 21, 2011 06:13AM

shortstrokevair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hub caps, early to late? wtf? Dude, the two
> different caps are 60 and 61. 1960 uses the deeper
> style, and 61 uses the shallower style. These are
> not both 60 caps..

I never said both styles were used in 1960confused smiley, I was just showing an interesting change,.............thanks for your comment dudegrinning smiley

Posted by: upnorth1 ()
Date: February 21, 2011 06:52AM

still looking good with all the extra info!

THANKS!!!

Chaplain Bob
135 miles from Canada

AT THE TIP OF LAKE SUPERIOR
1961 Loadside 95hp. 30 over bored and stroked. 145 block, 165 heads 4 speed
1966 Corsa clone 140 4 speed, 30 over.
1966 4 door 110 pg soon to return to factory 140 PG

DON'T mess with Old Men, we didn't get old by being, STUPID!!!

\/ this is a half mile from my house... \/

Click for Hermantown, Minnesota Forecast

Date: February 21, 2011 10:56AM

More international hubcap historysmiling smiley......Some if not all of the Canadian 1960 hubcaps were made of brass and then chrome plated, unlike the USA hubcaps that were made from polished stainless steel.In one of the pictures you can see a trace of the brass color on the backside of the Canadian hubcap. The chrome plated brass caps are quite a bit more shiney compared to the stainless steel versions.smiling smiley

Attachments:

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: February 21, 2011 02:10PM

You're absolutely correct, Mel.

GR: 1.060 PN: 3779945 is a conversion/upgrade kit as listed in the April 1st 1960 P & A 34 catalog. Canadian catalog has no equivalent, just separate part numbers.

It's interesting that you figured out the difference between hub caps. Part number on box that contains hub caps is Canadian, but U.S. catalog displays a completely different number.

Upper photo is Canadian catalog and lower photo is U.S. version:

Attachments:

Posted by: Mct66 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 07:50AM

Attached is a Dealer file warranty copy for a 1960 4 door, I believe.
The serial # is not very low, but the the 10-3-59 delivery date must be one of the first delivered in Kansas. Any got this car?

Mike Tuttle
Omaha, Ne
64 500
64 Monza
66 Monza Convert
00 C-5
06 HHR

Attachments:

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 22, 2011 08:01AM

This stuff is so interesting! I'm glad you got this car because all of these little early/Canadian details wouldn't be noticed by 99% of us. It's a great education for all. Bravo!

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Mct66 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 08:17AM

I wish I did own 00769W118684. I just happened to find the warranty card in
a 1961 Chevy shop manual. I wondered if anyone still owns this car or if it even
exists.
Mike Tuttle

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: February 22, 2011 09:42AM

Now with all the talk about Canadian car differences I'll have to go to my storage area and check out my Canadian 60. It's body number 236 built 2nd week of January 1960.

Posted by: SSpeed66 ()
Date: February 25, 2011 02:40PM

Hi Mel, could you please someday post a pic of your headlights. I was just wondering which type of T3's they are, as there was a change in the 59-60 lights

Al Macaulay - Okanagan Valley, BC
Western Canada Corsa

Link to my Corsa build- [corvaircenter.com]
Link to my Cobra boat Project- [www.sidewinder-boats.com]

66 Corsa 140 HT - 402BBC/Turbo 425, 66 CDN Corsa 'Vert 140, 79 Cobra 16SS/Merc 1500, 69 Triumph Trident Chopper, 67 BSA Lightning Custom
Cobra Custom Metal Design/ God Bless Canada

Date: February 25, 2011 03:54PM

Almost impossible to get a good picture of the T3 logosad smiley,at least with my camera....... the triangle is plain (no frosting) and the letter T and the number 3 are plain also. Here's some pictures....... but they are not very goodsad smiley thanks for askingsmiling smiley Mel

Attachments:

Current Page: 15 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.