Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 14 of 23
Re: Worlds OLDEST CORVAIR found and purchased eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileysmiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: Mel ()
Date: November 20, 2010 04:38PM

Here is a little feature some may or may not have noticed on the underside of EM engine covers, a semicircular indentation for clearance for the 1960 air cleaner.This indentation remained until the 1964 even though it is not needed.smiling smiley

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worlds OLDEST CORVAIR found and purchased eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileysmiling bouncing smiley
Date: November 25, 2010 04:06PM

Neatothumbs up, Ooopsconfused smiley I mean "SWEET" tissue dispensereye popping smiley, I don't think it's factory but it's cool (SWEET) just the samesmoking smiley now I have to find a tissue box that will fit, I think tissue boxes are now metric? I hate metricangry smiley

Attachments:

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: November 25, 2010 05:20PM

I love the tissue box MEL...Very cool accessory.

In regards to the antenna hole...this has me thinking. I don't see Fisher Body having two different stampings for a fender. This would not be cost effective. It is much more likely that the antenna hole was created at Fisher prior to body painting or just drilled at the plant on the line.

I would love to see all the hole "knock-outs" to see if they had paint on them or not.....

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Date: November 27, 2010 01:35PM

I just noticed today the original glove box cardboard (which was in the trunk with a bunch of other parts),has a nifty owners manual holdereye popping smiley,.....at least I guess thats what it's forconfused smiley I've never seen another glove box like it.smiling smileySometime in the cars history a cheap reproduction glove box cardboard has been installed.The original is pretty dried out and has a hole in it but I am going to try to reinstall it in the spring.smiling smiley

Attachments:

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: November 27, 2010 01:41PM

I guess the beancounters deleted that neat little feature. Cool.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: November 27, 2010 02:06PM

Date: December 12, 2010 03:09PM

Some radio details, smiling smiley

Attachments:

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: December 12, 2010 03:40PM

I like the simplicity of the old radio controls:
left/right and treble/bass. I do appreciate pushbuttons, however!

I notice the order of the fan/def/heat controls. Are all EM's like this?
Seems like LM's have the def on the far right side (can't remember now and it's too blizzardy to go out and check...).

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: BrentF ()
Date: December 12, 2010 03:43PM

Interesting about the glove box. That's one of my pet peeves about GM products even to this day....the owners manual isn't designed to fit in the glove box or vice versa without getting "dog eared"....at least that's been the case for my last 3 GM products.

GM's downfall was the result of being ruled by bean counters and not the car designers.

Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: December 12, 2010 03:45PM

flamingchariots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the simplicity of the old radio controls:
> left/right and treble/bass. I do appreciate
> pushbuttons, however!
>
> I notice the order of the fan/def/heat controls.
> Are all EM's like this?
> Seems like LM's have the def on the far right side
> (can't remember now and it's too blizzardy to go
> out and check...).

My 64 has controls under the ignition. Heat, air, def, left to right. Never noticed 60s were under radio

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Vert running 80 hp heads and carbs
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Date: December 12, 2010 03:55PM

Gasoline heater controls, note the chrome housingeye popping smiley

Attachments:

Posted by: SSpeed66 ()
Date: December 12, 2010 06:34PM

That heater control housing looks familiar, maybe 58 Chevy fullsizeconfused smiley, or...

Al Macaulay - Okanagan Valley, BC
Western Canada Corsa

Link to my Corsa build- [corvaircenter.com]
Link to my Cobra boat Project- [www.sidewinder-boats.com]

66 Corsa 140 HT - 402BBC/Turbo 425, 66 CDN Corsa 'Vert 140, 79 Cobra 16SS/Merc 1500, 69 Triumph Trident Chopper, 67 BSA Lightning Custom
Cobra Custom Metal Design/ God Bless Canada

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: December 12, 2010 07:54PM

How is the gas heater in 272? Toasty?

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Spyder coupe

Date: December 12, 2010 07:58PM

SpyderMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How is the gas heater in 272? Toasty?

I may try to start it up in the springeye rolling smiley, everything looks intact and servicable

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: December 13, 2010 04:33AM

Mel My 60 glove box is like yours. I hope to reinstall it when I get the car done and painted inside.

GWLee

Date: December 19, 2010 09:19AM

Bare bones horn cap, paintedsmiling smiley

Attachments:
Posted by: BrentF ()
Date: December 19, 2010 10:22AM

As an example of graphic arts, that early model Corvair logo has got to be one of the best examples of bad taste, IMHO

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: December 19, 2010 10:32AM

Mel, check out the air cleaner snorkel.

Check out the rest here.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Spyder coupe

Date: December 19, 2010 01:29PM

I think only in 1960 the word CHEVROLET appeared on a early model Corvair,I'm not sure about the LM Corvairs and trucksconfused smiley

Attachments:
Posted by: gwydionjhr ()
Date: December 19, 2010 07:21PM

'63/4 FC's have the words "By Chevrolet" underneath the script emblem on the front doors.

I've always thought that the lack of strong Chevy badging and what was really a complete line of cars and trucks by '61 (with the exception of a convertible) was a sign that GM initially thought of the Corvair as almost it's own brand.

Regards,
Joel Rushworth
1961 Rampside w/Deluxe Scamper Camper
1966 Corsized Cdn Monza Coupe
1967 UV #292
"Kick the Hell out of the Status Quo" - Ed Cole

Current Page: 14 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.