Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 13 of 23
Re: Worlds OLDEST CORVAIR found and purchased eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileysmiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: October 30, 2010 07:45PM

I'll bet there was an engineer that earned his bonus when he redesigned from the early-early to the early-late style!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worlds OLDEST CORVAIR found and purchased eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileysmiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: pja1967 ()
Date: October 30, 2010 09:40PM

That original setup is very complex. I always wondered what the trigger handle looked like on this setup. I like the whole t-brake release idea. Very cool!!!!
Phil

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: November 01, 2010 04:16PM

The second design parking brake handle unit is identical to the Chev and GMC pickup trucks of the time. smiling smiley

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: November 01, 2010 04:22PM

The early design is neat, but it looks like the engineer forgot the KISS principle.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

<a href="[www.wunderground.com] src="[weathersticker.wunderground.com]; alt="Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast" height="90" width="160"></a>

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: November 01, 2010 04:56PM

As I remember, our 60 and 61 Biscaynes had that type of release with a ratchet pedal. So it would be a natural progression to keep the handle and make the mechanism a handle.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 01, 2010 04:57PM

The handle release emergency brake was probably done by the same bunch who came up with the foot pedal emergency brake with the a dash release handle. Very common on the 60's GM cars. The foot pedal design was kind of neat since you could pump it more than once to take up the cable slack as the brakes shoes wore down. In an emergency when the hydraulic brakes failed you could keep your hands on the wheel since the emergency brake was foot operated. I can tell you it was very effective.

That said haveing a "T" handle for a release and another handle to set the brake in the Corvair seems rather awkward.

Eventually the "T" handle/foot pedal was replace by a foot pedal you pushed to engage and pushed again to release on the full sized GM cars. It drove the dealers crazy since it looked the same and confused GM customers. "Hey I can't release the emergency brake, wheres the handle" calls were common the first year". Yep - nobody ever reads the manual.

Date: November 07, 2010 07:35AM

It appears the really early 1959/60 rear view inside mirrors are rectangular.... then they change shape slightly on the ends. Here's a few pics of the #272 rectangular RVM mirror compared to later 1960 RVM and a Monza day/night RVM mirrorsmiling smiley

Attachments:

Date: November 07, 2010 11:55AM

Original style rear GM spiral shock absorberssmiling smiley

Attachments:

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: November 07, 2010 04:20PM

Great thread, love the history, love the suspense...smiling smiley Are you taking a part off the car then taking a picture then putting it back on? Or are you completely disassembling the car?

Date: November 07, 2010 04:25PM

VairKing Wrote:
Are you taking a part off the car
> then taking a picture then putting it back on? Or
> are you completely disassembling the car?

I am just removing parts as I do cleaning and/or repairs.All the photos I have posted lately are file photos I took before car went into storage for the winter.I am trying to leave car as "factory assembled" if possible.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: November 07, 2010 05:16PM

Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I saw an ad in Hemmings quite a while ago
> about a company that rebuilt tube shocks.smiling smiley

Done quite frequently in Bolivia.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: November 12, 2010 04:40PM

Some pics of the original antenna installation, you can see in one of the pics the metal slug (looks like a flat washer) cutout sitting at the bottom of the kick panel area. The cutout would be fairly hot when it dropped down and it has melted into the body caulking a bit.smiling smiley

Attachments:

Date: November 12, 2010 04:41PM

smiling smiley

Attachments:

Posted by: BrentF ()
Date: November 12, 2010 05:16PM

I suspect that was a dealer installed antenna. A Factory antenna's mounting hole would have been created when the fender was stamped.

Date: November 12, 2010 06:30PM

Maybe all radios were installed by the dealers?confused smiley all my EM's with radios have the same "hole slug" in the kick panel area.

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: November 13, 2010 05:29AM

I guess in about a thousand years the scientists can analyze the "stuff" in the kickpanel area to determine when and where your car was! winking smiley

I am surprised you don't have lots of rust thru in that area.

Date: November 14, 2010 10:27AM

Here are some pictures of 60 air cleaner instructions, the orange silk screened instructions came on #272. The air cleaner that has a decal I think is Canadian,It was likely made by the Donaldson company in Chatham Ontario.You will note the orange silk screened instructions have a small AC logo, the white and yellow instructions have a larger AC logo.smiling smiley

Attachments:

Date: November 14, 2010 10:28AM

Canadian decal

Attachments:
Date: November 14, 2010 10:30AM

#272 instructions

Attachments:
Posted by: pja1967 ()
Date: November 14, 2010 06:25PM

I like the 272 style decal instructions. The one on my air cleaner is white. My 500 sedan was built in May of '60, so it's quite a bit later,
Phil

Current Page: 13 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.