Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 1 of 14
427 BBC v8 Corvair, because I have too much time on my hands
Posted by: Vairefast ()
Date: May 31, 2010 05:37AM

I posted a topic on front disc brakes for the lm corvair a while back. I talked a little bit about looking into rear disc brakes.... On my never ending quest to over engineer everything corvair. I started to work on a rear disc swap that would not cost a fortune, but would stop a v8 corvair and match the front disc brakes I already have.

So a couple of calls to baer racing and things start rolling. After deciding to swap out the old drums for c5 corvette rear brakes I made a few calls to get a used set sent over form the junk yard. All was going well with project until I made a trip to a friends house (who has a kellmark v8) to help him with his car.

After a long day of moving old corvairs around he asked if he could take a friend for a ride in my crown v8. I said sure threw him the keys and just ask him not to dump the clutch (rev it up and let the clutch out to fast). 20mins later I'm getting worried. They finally get back and he says there is a clicking noise..!!! Who can guess what happened? He got scared at a 4-way stop, took off in 3rd gear, revved it up to take off and his foot slipped off the clutch pedal.
Insta-death to the spider gears.

So a few hours later we throw in a spare v8 diff I had on the shelf (luckily @ his house). The problem was I bought it 15+years ago and never checked it out. So off the rack and in into the street. Sounds good.. Rolls nice.. I better get on it a little to see if this thing can get my home. Needless to say I caught a ride with his friend in a wrx. sad smiley

So I get the car back a few days later on the trailer. Put another spare 4-spider set in the diff and I'm rolling again, but now I'm always worried about the diff. I don't enjoy driving the car as much, not sure if I'm gonna be walking after the next hard start.

Back on the phone. I'll find better spider gears.... no luck. I'll get a locker made for it..... good luck. I'll check out every web page I can find with a v8 corvair to see what they have done to fix this problem.
1 guy totally fixed the problem. Arch Evans. Not really what I had in mind and I like to shift my cars.... More poking around and I found some pictures of a gentleman (forgot his name) working on a adapter to mount a big car Saginaw to a c5 corvette diff.cool smiley Couldn't find to much info. So I started looking around some more when another corvair buddy of mine stop by to talk corvair stuff and we got on the topic of transmissions.

We discussed that after I figure out a way to adapt Saginaw trans to the C5 diff that it will be the next thing to break. I have a BBC 427 in the car. So we put our thinking caps on and went to work.

So to get to the point. Since I already bought most of the C5 corvette rear suspension for the brake parts I needed, I went out and got a C5 diff to see what I could do with it. Here is what I'm working on.

C5 corvette diff 3:42
Complete C5 rear suspension with brakes
Ford Top-loader overdrive Transmission

Hope you enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 07:38PM by MattNall.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: O.T. v8 Corvair to much time on my hands
Posted by: lostbooger ()
Date: May 31, 2010 08:57AM

My experience with highly powered cars (v8 240Z) is automatics are less stress on the drivetrain and the driver lol. Keeping both hands on the wheel, softer shifts and all that. However I definetly understand the appeal of a manual.
That setup is going to be awesome. I will definetly look forward to more pics!

Damian

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: May 31, 2010 10:33AM

..what 'Ford" top-loader iron case 'OD' trans is that out of??

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: May 31, 2010 01:38PM

The most common overdrive Top Loader would be the aluminum case SROD. These were most commonly found on the 79-83 Mustang and Capri 5.0's.
There is a super rare iron case Top loader with over drive that still had the external shift linkage that was made in 77-78. It was commonly found in Granadas and Monarchs.
Ratios are usually 3.07 1st, 1.72 2nd, 1.00 3rd and .70 4th.
Mustang guys practically give them away as they are rather fragile. Well, they are probably atleast as strong as a Saginaw 4 speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2010 01:39PM by gnvair.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 31, 2010 02:58PM

Wow! you dismantled a running car just to swap rear suspensions?

Post some pics of the old build so we can see the differences!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: Jim ()
Date: May 31, 2010 04:10PM

QC are cool, but why is on one looking at Jag? Chevy rims and drive shaft bolts and inbound disc? have 4 Koni's and adjustable ride....

Had one under my 57 Nomad in 74 an was a nice driver...

Date: May 31, 2010 06:28PM

The trans is out of a mid 70's ford truck or van. It is an iron case with the shifter rails on the side of the case. It is more or less exactly the same as a ford top loader as in size, shape, and rebuild parts. I would say that is extremely strong with the exception of possible the 4th(o.d.) gear. I just need fourth gear for the freeway so I'm not worried about it.

I will try to pin point the exact trans I have.

Here are the possible ratios that are available:
Ratio #1: 3.01 1st, 1.78 2nd, 1.00 3rd, 0.79 4th and 3.01 Rev.
Ratio #2: 3.25 1st, 1.92 2nd, 1.00 3rd, 0.78 4th and 3.25 Rev.
Don't forget that my diff is 3:42
Tires are 26" tall
So with any luck and some math, I should be able to rocket out of the hole then cruise 70-75 on the freeway.

I'll take some more pictures today when head in to work on the car.

Oh and I haven't taken my V8 car apart yet. I have my other project vair on the rotisserie so I have been using it for a jig to make the rear bolt-in sub-frame.

The motor is a 427 with 572 valve covers. I have solid roller cam in it so I am trying to keep the noise down.

Attachments:

Date: May 31, 2010 06:37PM

Here are a few more random pics.
BTW. The C5 top-loader is about 1" longer than the stock vair set-up. If you notice I have moved the wheel back 1/2" and will move the diff back to make up for the rest of the difference in overall length.

Attachments:

Date: May 31, 2010 07:16PM

OK!! I thought I'd met you at the Toss last Fall.!

Date: May 31, 2010 09:52PM

Shorten the car down. Make a real two seater Roadster that should take some time? Be the first one to try to pull it off on a LM Covertible.

You have my vote on it.

Attachments:

Posted by: macavs ()
Date: June 01, 2010 12:11AM

Iv'e got to admire that kind of dedication! Don't understand it, but I REALLY do admire it!!

Mike C ........... Northern Indiana

1965 Corsa In my family for 45 years

Date: June 01, 2010 01:00AM

More stuff that got done today.

Frame is 1.5' emt conduit atm. Using it for getting patterns.

Finished frame will be 1.5" .120 wall DOM tubing.

Attachments:

Date: June 01, 2010 01:12AM

Looks nice I like what your doing just wish some one can make a LM roadster.

Good job.

Date: June 01, 2010 01:22AM

more stuff

Attachments:

Date: June 03, 2010 02:34AM

still working on notching some tubing and making tabs for arms to mount to. Had to work a lot the last couple days so I haven't got a whole lot done on the car. Maybe next week will be better for hobbying.

I need to get my axles shortened. I hear moser's name come up alot. Does anyone else respline axles on the west coast.

Date: June 03, 2010 02:35AM

Just look for a machine shop with EDM capabilites

They do not have to be un-hardened!

Date: June 09, 2010 04:38AM

well I had a few mins to check out the new bellhousing and Hyd throwout bearing. Sad both won't work. Bellhousing fits trans but won't fit the block and the throwout bearing is made for a different style trans. Would have been nice to save some cash.

Date: June 09, 2010 05:02AM

Bummer.. but keep searchin'!!

Posted by: Mike J ()
Date: June 09, 2010 02:11PM

Wow, that is some fantastic fab. work you have going on there. That will be one awesome ride when you get it done. Keep us posted.

Mike J
Northern Calif
Rescue, CA

65 Corsa ~ Sold !!
www.fquick.com/MikesGarage

Posted by: jimish ()
Date: June 09, 2010 04:15PM

I had my halfshafts shortened at "The Driveshaft Shop", down south, i think north or south Carolina.

Jimish
Yonkers, N.Y.
69 Monza cpe
65 Monza vert.
66 Corsa (V8 in progress)

Current Page: 1 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.