Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: hurst shifter for corvair any photos
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 03, 2015 04:20PM

I have one of the original Ansen kits, complete in the box, that I intend to donate to the museum. It was made to fit only an EM, and I redesigned it to fit both EM and LM, plus other features that differ in design and intent from what Ansen originally built.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 03, 2015 05:25PM

You can make a B&M T5 shifter work in a Corvair too.

This was in my Vairy V8...the shifter part works the same.

The female part is the knuckle from inside a T5 five speed.

Paso Robles CA-Unsafe at Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (SCTA Charter Member 1934)-CORSA Member-Central Coast Corsa-Ventura County Corvair-V8 Registry-Corvanatics-California Angels Fan Since 1978...World Series Champions 2002 & 9 AL West Division Titles-So Cal Gas Since 1974 (Now Retired Again) Rehired as Contractor Seasonally-Baddest Street Legal Corvair on the Planet is SuperVair (AKA Vairy V8) ADE 506 Cube BBC/PG/QC L/M Coupe-1963 Deluxe Rampside (AKA PhilSide2)-148.253 MPH Landspeed F/BGALT Late Model Coupe-B&M Blown Methanol 3.1L Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-1965 Ugly Duck 110/PG Monza Coupe Parts Car-2013 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Four Door Crew Cab Short Bed 6.7 Powerstroke-Grand Design Momuntum 350M Luxury Toy Hauler-When I Grow Up I'm Selling Everything and Buying a Vintage Triple Weber 911S Because I'll Never be Able to Afford the Miura!!!

Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: August 04, 2015 05:53AM

Hurst shifters move separate solid rods to the transmission levers. Corvairs have a tubular shift rod that pushes, pulls and twists the single shift shaft. Not even close to making it work.

Clark Hartzel, Fraser, MI
1965 Monza coupe

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: December 14, 2017 07:25AM

CKD Wrote:
> Home made HURST shifter for Corvair Corsa. Have
> not seen one,So I made my own. Nice tight shifts.

Was doing a google search for "Corsa shifter" base and of course this came up. Had to comment on how well done this shifter is! Custom made red rubber flap that ties to the red thread in the coco mats, crinkle black paint that ties to the dash (presumably), little Hurst logo bonded on. Heck, this has more aesthetic consideration than some entire cars!

Anyway, if the author is still around, I'd like to know how this modification actually improves the shifting action. I am visualizing a Hurst lever welded to stock Corvair mechanicals underneath...

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 14, 2017 08:02AM

Go on Ebay. Look for a Hurst 4 speed shift lever/stick of your choice. Take a stock Corvair shifter and cut off the lever/stick and weld the Hurst stick on. I did that to my first Corvair when I was 16 years old and it looked very trick.
If you want to go all out you can do what Phil Dally posted and use one of the many after market shifters out there for 83-up Mustang T5/T45 or 83-up Camaro T5.
These typically are made of billet aluminum and have adjustable positive stops for fore and aft movement. They also have a nice machined stub to bolt the stick on.
This has been a project that I would like to tackle at some point as I still have Mustang T5 shifters floating around.
The best on the market IMHO are the Pro 5.0 brand

Lee J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 08:05AM by gnvair.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.