Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
clutch adjustment for dummies, pls?
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: May 25, 2010 01:13PM

i'm wondering if the clutch let out point on my '66 monza 4 speed can be adjusted?

it lets out right at the end of the pedal travel, at the top of the pedal.

i've read thru the adjustment procedure in the shop manual; it's like reading offical government documents to me!

could someone please list how to adjust it, using words of one or two syllables?

thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: clutch adjustment for dummies, pls?
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 25, 2010 02:11PM

Usually, a high release is an indication of a worn-out clutch however you can change it's release point a little by adjusting the threaded swivel on the clutch rod.

The rod runs along the right side of the transaxle and is located below the right rear axle. The swivel is at the front of the rod. Remove the cotter pin that holds the swivel in the cross shaft. The cotter pin is a little difficult to see and access. The car will have to be on jackstands or a lift.

Once the cotter pin is out, turn the swivel to make the swivel move forward on the rod (the rod and swivel are threaded like a bolt and nut). Try about three turns and see how you like it. Of course you have to reinstall the cotter pin to complete the job.

Unless you have had recent service and the clutch was recently adjusted incorrectly it more likely that the clutch is nearly worn out. Adjustment will buy you some time.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)
64 GB -CrUnChEd (donor)

20 Tons of parts in boxes

Date: May 25, 2010 03:05PM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...Unless you have had recent service and the clutch
> was recently adjusted incorrectly it more likely
> that the clutch is nearly worn out. Adjustment
> will buy you some time.

i suspect this clutch was never, ever adjusted. it lets out smoothly, with no chatter or grabbing.

hoping an adjustment will make it more "driveable". my other daily driver, with a hydraulic clutch, lets out closer to the floor/about half way; so when i drive the vair the difference is quite noticeable...makes me drive like a novice until i get used to it all over again!

Date: May 25, 2010 03:37PM

oh yes, forgot to post..thanks for the info, cnicol!

Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: May 26, 2010 02:01AM

the location of the "swivel"

Attachments:

Date: November 01, 2010 12:41AM

in order to lower the pedal engagement point (or whatever the heck you would call it!) should i twirl the swivel to the front or rear of the car?

Date: November 01, 2010 05:07PM

i finally crawled below it today and spun the clutch linkage "swivel" about an inch and a quarter towards the front of the car.

now the clutch lets out just below half way out, just as my daily driver PT cruiser does. no more lurching from car to car, getting used to each engagement point all over again!

the payback is that the freepplay travel at the top of the clutch pedal is more than i would like to have.

ah well...........life IS a compromise!

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 01, 2010 05:50PM

rnch - most modern cars have self adjusting clutch linkage. The old cars do not.

The old cars tend to use most of the pedal travel to keep the pedal pressure low. Usually no more than an inch of free travel at the pedal when it's all the way up. If it's more than that you run the risk of the clutch not disengaging completely when you depress the pedal and that is hard on the tranny synchros.

The reason the shop manual is so complicated is there are actually two adjustments. The rod from the clutch pedal to the swivel arm and the rod from the swivel arm to the bellhousing lever. It's possible to adjust things so the swivel arm hits the body or crossmember. If that happens you adjust both to center the swivel arm so it doesn't hit anything. Usually once its set at the factory you don't have to worry to make a minor adjustment (as Cody showed). But if you put a new clutch and resurface the flywheel you may have to do both adjustments.

As you said - it's a compromise.

Date: December 22, 2010 02:01PM

UPDATE: after several attempts at minute, "twirl a fe threads at a time" adjusting of all the swivels; i've got the "let out point" at slighly above half the pedal travel, and the freeplay at the top of the pedal is now within what i consider as acceptable.

tinker, tinker, boil, boil, toil & trouble....hahahha

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: December 22, 2010 08:19PM

Life is good!

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.