Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: smileys with beerNew Corvair Hauler Build WTF Racing Teamsmileys with beer
Posted by: jigracing ()
Date: May 24, 2010 09:53PM

I am sincerely impressed!
That is dedication and thinking outside the box.

CorvairForum.com
Team Beachbody

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: May 25, 2010 12:30AM

Interesting note about the cab, Ford introduced it in 1957 and the last one was made in 1990...with hardly any changes since its introduction.

Posted by: Noah ()
Date: May 27, 2010 03:26PM

This is really cool.
Wondering how much that rig cost ya (pre-mods).

Noah
Milwaukee

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 27, 2010 03:44PM

Guys over at FastVair sure like it!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: danielmorsk ()
Date: May 27, 2010 04:12PM

Its very cool! Carpool to the races.
Imagine the fun!!!

Daniel M
65 140/4 coupe
61 Rampside 110/4
Stanwood Wa

Date: September 28, 2010 12:44AM

Updated pics from this summers convention with 3 Corvairs in tow...Now starting to plan a new bed for the truck, a wedge shape with small living quarters in the large part of the wedge. Gotta have a place to sleep during those Corvair races!

Attachments:

Date: September 28, 2010 12:58AM

Have you found a 5 speed for it yet? Or a 2 speed Browning box?

Date: September 28, 2010 01:03AM

Supposedly have a line on a 3 speed auxiliary transmission, that could be used in the drive line and left in 3rd gear, unless pulling large stumps, then use first gear! Just gotta go get it, oh yeah that guy also has 2 big aluminum round shiny fuel tanks for it too grinning smiley

Posted by: mrtrimmier ()
Date: September 28, 2010 04:03AM

So, is it legal to flat tow another car behind your trailer with a towbar?? I used to ride through Miss on the way to Ark and see the bassboat guys with a couple on the truck and 1 or 2 flat towed behind it???

Regards,
Mike T
Lady's Island S.C.

Black '65 CORSA "parts" car ("RatVair") '65 CORSA Weber/180 ("Whitey") '60 500 Sedan ("Smurf Surf Sedan")

Date: September 28, 2010 04:47AM

Mike... Ryan's not doing that.... he has a truck with one trailer....nothing more...

63GB / Allen B. towed 2 trailers home from Cedar Rapids... to Virginia.

Date: November 11, 2012 01:54PM

I thought I had better update this page to keep everybody in the loop smiling smiley Big plans for the firetruck this winter. We did not use it at all this summer because, well basically, there were no high speed Corvair events to speak of. As I had mentioned earlier, we have been planning a new body, a wedge shaped body, that will hold one car on the wedge, and have a small living quarters underneath. This does 2 things for us, 1: lets us re-title the rig as an RV, saving thousands of dollars in insurance each year, and 2: gives us a place to sleep when traveling with it.

In the '60s wedge haulers were somewhat common, but you don't see them much anymore.

Something like the picture below is what inspired us.

Attachments:
Date: November 11, 2012 01:58PM

So the planning begins, the upper 8' of the wedge will be a open-able lid to allow more living space when there is no car on the deck, and will have popup camper style canvas and screens to keep mother nature out. The model is of my racecar, with its super short autocross tires on. Very low to the ground, and difficult to load no matter what. The first pic is a simple photoshop job, the second is a crude 3D rendering, and the third is the start of the structural framing. My buddy who is an engineer is coming over to approve/disprove the drawings this afternoon.

Attachments:

Date: November 11, 2012 02:02PM

So demolition begins, yesterday we removed the flatbed, and removed the last remaining firetruck cabinet, which is built like a tank. 10 1/2" bolts holding it on!

I have purchased all the structural steel, which is 2.5 x 3.5 x .125 rectangular tubing. As soon as we get a few of these sketches worked out, its build time!

Attachments:

Date: December 16, 2012 03:41PM

I have been making some headway, the steel I bought is 2.5x3.5x.125 rect tubing, and I bought full 24 foot lengths. The main problem? I can't lift one to the saw by myself, so I am limited to working on the truck when I have help around. So progress is a little slow, but it is shaping up!

Attachments:

Posted by: GenXVairNut ()
Date: December 16, 2012 03:57PM

Corvairs with their own firetruck! Right in so many ways! Im sure your racecars will never be in need of that 1250gal/min pump you removed! Bet that thing pulls 2 vairs with ease. May all your races be close to home with that MPG!
Awesome guys!

Date: December 16, 2012 11:35PM

Ive got to go dig out the light bar, its going back on. As long as we don't turn it on while driving on public roadways, its legal thumbs up

Date: December 17, 2012 02:00AM

Got the light bar back on, but not wired yet...Need a better excuse to remove the headliner again.

After yesterdays work with a helper there were a few drops left that I could manage, so I framed the window and started the truss work.

Attachments:

Date: December 17, 2012 02:51AM

Looks like a fine winters project.
On your side and back walls when you are in RV setup. Make them out of stiff foam insulation panels with aluminum glued on the exterior and painted to match. The panels would then just push into place when the top is raised up and you'll have an insulated hard shell side for the RV area. The top section can have a nice skylight installed,
YOu can also make the back half of the ramp section movable with long hyd. jacks and make a car lift!!
The two ramp sections could slide as the lift jacks go up at an angle and lift the back of the ramps. You would be the envy of the entire pit area!!

Corvanatics
to host the 2014 CorSA Int'l Convention July 21 to 25 at LeMay "America's Car Museum" - Be There!!
Dan Davis - Seattle ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:19PM

Guys, just keep in mind your overall length and what states you are driving in! With the double trailer it looks like you are WAY over length. I got stopped once with my motorhome and trailer and measured. I was just under the limit and I knew it. If you get a cop that has an attitude and you have the long trailer you better be under 70 ft., 75 ft. in some states and 55 ft. in the NE.

Ken Hand
CORSA Central Division Director
CORSA Treasurer
248 613 8586
[www.corvairmechanic.com]
vairmech@aol.com

[s186.photobucket.com]

Photobucket
Nose art from a CH-47 in Viet Nam

Photobucket

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: December 17, 2012 03:58PM

That is a really neat hauler and it is a forward control vehicle. What better way to haul a Corvair? Wheel base is a little longer than 95 inches though. Jim

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.