Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Powerglide rebuild kit
Posted by: hysteria411 ()
Date: April 13, 2010 09:46PM

I recently picked up a 66 corvair with a powerglide trans and it's looking like it needs a rebuild. The car was sitting for who knows how long at a junkyard, and after getting it to run I found that the transmission doesn't move the car at all. It's got the right amount of fluid in it so I'm assuming the internal seals are just shot from sitting for so long. I was looking on clarks corvair parts and saw a kit (part number C186C), but wasn't sure if this was what I needed, as this is my first corvair. Any help from one of you experts would be greatly appreciated here, I can't wait to go cruising in this bad boy smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Powerglide rebuild kit
Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: April 13, 2010 10:36PM

I'm sure the real experts on PG automatics will chime in shorty, but in the meantime... Powerglides have a reputation for being "bulletproof".
Yes, they do occasionally fail, but before rebuilding, I'd check the following:

1. Verify that the shift linkage is connected at both ends. If stuck in neutral, they car won't move!

2. Is the Vacuum Modulator (right front side of transmission) connected to the vacuum balance tube, and is the vacuum balance tube connected to the engine?

3. Is the Governor (left rear of transmission) working?
No idea how to check this or if it can cause trans not to work at all.

If all of the above check out, I'd get a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix and see if that fixes the problem before tearing into it. It's worked on two out of two transmissions I've used it on. If that does not fix...

4. Torque converter may not have fluid in it or be broken.
Not sure how you "break" a torque converter, but I had one stop working after I removed an engine without first removing the torque converter bolts (stupid, stupid, stupid!). This was a Mopar 318 V-8 and 727 tranny, not Corvair.

HTH!

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Date: April 14, 2010 02:05AM

Hmmm from what I've read the vacuum modulator wouldn't keep it from moving, but I'll check out the shifter cable tomorrow. I was assuming because I could feel the shift lever engage in the different positions that the cable was fine, but I just read on here that the lever itself gives that feedback, not the transmission. That would mean that the cable could be broken and it would still feel like it was going into gear. Whatever the case may be, I appreciate your help.

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: April 14, 2010 02:20AM

Even if the ball was broken on the cable, the shifter still push into reverse?

Did you check the trans fluid level with the car not running and again with the engine running? If the fluid level dose not drop, you have no front pump.
either pump shaft is not engaged in the covnerter, it got shoved back through the pump and disengaged the 3 tab washer, broken tabs, striped shaft, stripped spilnes on washer.

Pick upscreen installed?

Do you get any recaction when you move the shfiter? There is a "plunger" that sits under the modulator. if it is missing, there will be a larger internal pressure leak and the trans will not drive. Actullay if you rev up the motor to about 2500, it will just barely crawl, but you will burn up the clutches very qucikly.

Marco Padilla - Realtor BRE#01944189

Century 21 Crest
1501 West Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91506
213-272-3239 Cell

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 14, 2010 02:43AM

here's a list of items

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Attachments:
Posted by: C. Alan ()
Date: April 14, 2010 03:20AM

The shift cable is pretty easy to remove and check. It is only held in by one bolt, and you just have to remove the left rear tire to get to it. Im not sure about a '66, but in my '61, I had to disconnect the throttle rods at the transmission. Then you rotate the throttle linkage on the transmission as far counter-clockwise as it will go, then you can pop out the transmission linkage. Have some one work the gear shifter in the car, and you should clearly be able see the ball end of the linkage move back and forth.

I have been told by certain wise old corvair guys that the PG transmission is pretty tough, and because for the most part they are sealed, they hold up pretty well to long term storage. I'd do the tear down and re-sealing as a last resort.

I just went through a no-moving transmission problem on my '61 wagon, and in my case it did turn out to be the front pump drive, as Marco described above. You can pretty easily rule out a bad pump with the fluid level test.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 03:22AM by C. Alan.

Date: April 14, 2010 10:37PM

looks like it is the pump.. worth rebuilding or should i swap in a used tranny? i don't know what part availability is like on these cars

Re: Powerglide front Pump repair
Date: April 14, 2010 10:45PM

Hyster... you've got to get a "non Defeatist Attitude" !!!

We're your 441 call center now! No need for emotions to overcome you! LOL!!

C.Alan just had the same problem... He and others can walk you thru the simple / external [ almost] repair! CA dropped his complete engine/transaxle to do it..

But it can be done in the car just as easy.

Parts are plentiful! only a few parts are hard to find...

Used parts abound around the country! Your local Flaps has most all consumables.

Hook up with any or all of the Vendors that sponsor this site... they can handle anything... upper lefy of the message list page.

Date: April 14, 2010 10:46PM

The pump is pretty easy, You can get to it by simply lowering the front of the drive train while it is still in the car, but if you go this far, it is not that much more work to just remove the drive train entirely. The pump is behind the front plate on the transmission. More than likely, the tabs on the drive washer have sheared off. I priced out the parts for this repair last week, and it came to about $30 from Clark's. At least around here, it is cheaper than a used transmission.

Take a look at the second page of this post , and there is a good picture of the drive washer, and the pump assembly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 10:52PM by C. Alan.

Date: April 14, 2010 10:58PM

haha i'm not feeling defeated, just wondering if it was worth the trouble after this talk of stripped pump shafts and such. after looking at the slightly crusty condition of all the fasteners on the drivetrain i'm a little annoyed, but it's already on a 2 post lift so dropping the trans wouldn't be a big deal. if it's as simple as a drive washer i'll be pleased, i'm used to working on hondas and we don't open auto transmissions, just swap in a good used one. you have no idea how much i appreciate all this help by the way, this site is an amazing resource when you don't know jack about these cars.

Date: April 17, 2010 02:57AM

i removed the crossmember at the front of the trans, popped that cover off, and found that one of the c clips on the drive washer had popped out of place. one new clip later and the pump is working again. thank you guys so much for your help, you turned what probably would have been an all day ordeal into about an hour of work smiling smiley

Date: April 17, 2010 03:00AM

We told ya!! gggg

Always love a quick / easy / cheap fix!

You owe us pictures!!

Date: April 17, 2010 03:15PM

Sweet... I'm glad you are back on the road.

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 07:42PM

You have to be the luckiest man on earth!I never would have been that lucky.Glad it worked out for you.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Date: April 18, 2010 02:34AM

that's the only picture i have, it's from when i picked it up a couple weeks ago. tomorrow i'm supposed to meet with one of my grandmother's friends who is a big corvair guy to get my carbs straightened out, he had something like 17 corvairs before one of his neighbors complained to the city and he had to sell them. the chokes aren't working properly on either carb and the floats are collapsed on one side, so it's running a little rough right now. didn't keep me from cruising around the block once though grinning smiley

also, what does "gggg" mean? i've seen it on here several times and can't figure it out confused smiley

Re: ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg's????
Date: April 18, 2010 02:48AM

You are "GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGing" in your picture.

There are several sites / wiki is one... that list all the Internet acronyms..

Posted by: Leon Renaud ()
Date: April 18, 2010 12:05PM

Mattnalls posts always contain 2 things "search" and GGGGGGGGGGGGGG !spinning smiley sticking its tongue outand Matt is always one of the first guys to jump in and help out us "New Guys"!the GGGGG just means "With a grin" or "Happy"Matt hasn't gotten me to figure out the search thing but he has taught me something GGGGGGGGGGG!Welcome to the group spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Leon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.