Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Uneven front end after lowering 2x *pics*
Posted by: brocklanders ()
Date: April 03, 2010 09:19PM

So this is kind of a continuation of Oh oh....I think I cut my springs too short! : Springs too short

In which I thought the front end after installing new shocks and cutting 1.25 coils sat uneven by about 1". Well today I decided I was going to figure out why it sat off kilter, then decide how to go about lowering it a bit more EVENLY to match the rear. I found that the lower side had some spring issues:

Higher or "Good" side

Lower, "sagging" side

As you can see the bottom of the spring seems to have too much sag, or bent or whatever. I pulled both sides completely apart and when un-compressed they are equal length. And since the first time the fronts were lowered last year we cut from the top (I know...wrong side, I had no idea) I figured why not take out the remaining .75 of the coil from the bottom which the one side has the sag, and maybe get it equal at least to start. {For those counting that will be 2 complete coils on all 4 corners}

To my dismay it essentially did nothing. Both sides side at near the same level, are unequal but the spring looks to have lost it's sag in the bottom (which I cut off) So, now what? Do I trim MORE to even them out? Seems like a bad idea, but they still sit far too high for my liking.

Maybe new springs are in order to start fresh? I hate spending money I don't have to winking smiley

1968 500 coupe 110 pg
1967 Fitch Sprint 4 door
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Uneven front end after lowering 2x *pics*
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 03, 2010 09:33PM

Is the one corner too low? add a rubber pad on top.

Otherwise cut the high side some more.

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: April 03, 2010 09:35PM

To level it out you would cut on the side thats higher. If you do that and don't touch the other side it should theoretically level it out. But then again, something always goes wrong. angry smiley

Chandler
Roswell, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Date: April 03, 2010 09:49PM

Both front sides IMO could do with an additional drop. Not much on the lower side, about 1" on the higher side.

1968 500 coupe 110 pg
1967 Fitch Sprint 4 door

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: April 03, 2010 10:38PM

Date: April 04, 2010 12:05AM

"high" Side

Low side

Heh, no thanks. I'll have enough trouble as it is. I'm mostly just trying to straighten everything out. As usual a small job turns in to a big, complicated one. I was fine with the heights before hand, I just figured I'd "do a quick job" with the rear springs while changing out the shocks...little did I know smiling smiley

1968 500 coupe 110 pg
1967 Fitch Sprint 4 door

Posted by: 4 carbs ()
Date: April 04, 2010 04:06AM

Murphy's LAW

John Booth Rosell, IL

Date: April 04, 2010 05:45AM

Ain't that the truth

1968 500 coupe 110 pg
1967 Fitch Sprint 4 door

Posted by: VairyScary ()
Date: May 03, 2010 11:38PM

So what is the best way to go about lowering a Corvair? I've also been thinking about cutting coil's, but maybe not so much now, lol. I really want to set mine down a couple of inches, I think I'm going to go for a Rat-Rod look.

Photobucket

Photobucket

My 68 Corvair 500, 110 HP, 3 Spd. A work in progress!

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: May 04, 2010 01:00AM

Did you tighten the control arm bolts with the full weight on the suspension? The control arm bushings can hold the suspension differently, if they are tightened while the suspension is hanging down, depending on the condition of the rubber in the bushing. Also, the rear can affect the way the front leans and vice versa.

The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers
Don
NTCA....DFW,TEXAS
66 Monza 1 owner

Date: May 04, 2010 01:27AM

Yeah since my inner lower a-arms are seized solid...that may be an issue. I'm dealing with the rear end currently, front end next.

1968 500 coupe 110 pg
1967 Fitch Sprint 4 door

Date: May 11, 2010 12:20AM

Well lets call this debacle done.

I swapped in new HD springs at all fours and loosened the upper A arms up front. The lowers were so rusted I thought I'd leave them for now.
I installed the rear springs, C4 strut rods and adjusted the Camber to -1. front springs got swapped and re-tightened the upper A's under load.

Other than a few creaks and groans from everything settling on the first few drives, and having to adjust the strut rods ad nauseum to get the camber just right, I LOVE the way it drives with HD springs and Gabriels on 'stiffest' setting.
The uneven front seems to be gone as well, either from messed up rear camber issues, or front a-arms...either way it's done. I think I'll leave the cutting of the springs for another day, maybe winter!

1968 500 coupe 110 pg
1967 Fitch Sprint 4 door

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 11, 2010 12:37AM

Looking much better!

The "slammer" ride height is really only for cruisers or all out street racers..

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: Gary Hoffman ()
Date: May 11, 2010 01:47AM

Looks great! Glad it worked out well.

If those are brand new HD springs, I like your idea of driving it for awhile; I have heard that brand new springs will settle a little over time; it may end up being just to your liking without your having to cut anything....

Gary

Date: May 11, 2010 02:12AM

Make no mistake, I LOVE a nicely lowered car, and plan to get this car a nice stance when/if I'm able. My lack of expertise got me in this mess, but with lots of help I got it rectified. For the time being, the car will stay as-is and hopefully driven much more than last year.

P.S: Anyone feeling the rims without the "chrome" trim rings? They were removed for the camber adjustment, and I actually like the look and matches my original plan of blue/black only. the only question is, do I leave them off, or paint the trim rings?

Thanks again to everyone who lent their advice. I figure, in about 5 years as I systematically completely screw-up, then correctly fix (through the CC's help) I might actually know what I'm doing! winking smiley

1968 500 coupe 110 pg
1967 Fitch Sprint 4 door

Posted by: tboltkc ()
Date: May 11, 2010 03:16AM

I like it with the trim rings myself. I saw those pics and thought it looked different but couldn't place it.

Glad you got the height worked out. I need to figure out why my left rear sits lower. I have new springs that'll go in soon.

-Travis

'65 Corsa 180/4; '63 Convertible 102/PG; '62 Deluxe Station Wagon; '65 Monza 4DR 110/4; RUPP Chevy Jr.; Red HUFFY Corvair Bike

Heart of America Corvair Owners Assocation (Kansas City, MO)

"Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer."
-Maureen Ogle, beer historian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2010 03:17AM by tboltkc.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: May 11, 2010 03:21AM

I agree - put the trim rings back on, and don't paint them!

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts / Corvair Minnesota
66 Monza Vert ,61 Rampy, 65 Sedan, Spatz Corvair Buggy, Rupp Chevy Jr.

Posted by: ron L ()
Date: May 11, 2010 04:35AM

Please explain to the noob what wheels these are?

I like them plain black BTW, and it's nice you can pull off two different great looks just by the trim rings.

Date: May 11, 2010 09:40PM

Ron these are 1970-1981 Camaro rally wheels. They're an odd wheel as they're almost a rim within a rim giving it a dual lip. The trim ring covers this, but the trim ring sticks out much farther than the lip of the rim itself. Which I don't find too appealing. Although the rim without the trim ring looks off as well.

I like the blacked out look, but just not with these wheels.

1968 500 coupe 110 pg
1967 Fitch Sprint 4 door

Posted by: ron L ()
Date: May 11, 2010 10:40PM

Ah I see what you mean by the double-lip. Not easy to see since they're black but I can see how they're distracting if you're looking close. Maybe you can put a red stripe in there heh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.