Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Installation of LM coupe headliner
Posted by: jimc ()
Date: April 03, 2010 01:28PM

Any suggestions on installation of a new headliner in a LM Corvair Coupe.
A search provided reference info only, I am looking for more details on the actual installation since I have never attempted this.

Any suggestions, videos, or books.

Thanks in advance.

jimc
1965 Corsa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installation of LM coupe headliner
Posted by: jrdriver8 ()
Date: April 03, 2010 02:56PM

Hi, It is not hard. Make sure the car is in the sun and the new headliner is warm. If yours has the metal rods in it cool, if not you can use the old ones abd insert them into the material. They should slide into the sewn channles running along the seams. You should begin in the middle. insert the center bow first then move along towards the back of the car then repeat to the front. You will have to cut the hole for the dome liamp and the coat hooks as well as the sun visors. If you have the old one, you can use it as a pattern, although it may be shrunken from age so measure carefully. You may also have to trim some around the edges when the moldings go back in place. It really is not that hard, so the big key is patience. Good luck.

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: April 03, 2010 03:46PM

i tried doing the headliner on my ancient, vw type 1 (bug)...after wrestling with it all weekend i drove it to a specailist who fixed my mistakes and installed in correctly.

hoping LM's are easier than v-dubs? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Jedd H ()
Date: April 03, 2010 05:19PM

I am not an expert by any measure but I have done mine and a friends Coupes (66' and a 67'). All of the above is correct...but I would suggest using a good "upholstery glue"..you can buy it in a spray can at your FLAPS. Use it for the edge around the front windshield and the back glass. Don't need it everywhere but good for the last few edges. Also....I would highly recommend using black binder clips (small and medium) to hold everythinbg in place...especially if you use the glue. Take your time and keep pulling and stretching the headliner (gently) and it will look great.

Lastly... a cold six pack of Sam Adams or Blue Moon Ale will help you get it in placesmiling smiley

Good luck...

Jedd H

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: April 03, 2010 05:28PM

If its a light color....make sure you keep your hands clean!winking smiley

Dave

Re: Installation of LM coupe headliner from Don B.
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 27, 2010 07:24PM

Pictures of original Headliner... backside

LATE CORVAIR HEADLINER REPLACEMENT
Disclaimer: This is in no way a step by step method of installing a Headliner and receiving professional results. I do not consider myself as a professional trim expert with all the answers. The following are simply guidelines and things to consider before attempting this type of job. For professional looking installs, seek a professional.
1. Before starting the project take a look at the old headliner and mounting locations, I.E. mirror, dome light, coat hooks, windless, sun visors, front and rear plastic filler pieces etc. a digital picture maybe helpful.
2. This project is more than a one day operation since much time is spent buffing, sanding, cleaning and painting various items. So give yourself some extra time and if possible find another set of bows and prepare them ahead of time. This will aid in speeding up the process.
3. Items required: In-addition to a New Headliner, Check the Front and Rear Top strips, Rear Window Trim Strips, & Plastic Windshield Pillar trim. These items are usually deteriorated and need replacement. Used pieces can be repaired and painted as needed. Check the condition of the chrome plastic dome light base and lens and Rear Coat hooks and get new and don’t forget some 3M trim adhesive. Spray glue is too messy for me.
4. . May want to order them as well. Also primer, Paint and Vinyl spray paint should be on hand. Maybe some new Windless for the sides since it does fade over time. Disconnect the Negative battery cable.
5. Remove the rear seat???? Maybe... If you need the room..
6. Remove the right and left Sun Visors, bag and tag the screws. Another thought might be to place the screws back in their respective holes to aid in finding them later on.
7. Remove the Rear View Mirror, if it needs replacement now’s the time. Bag & tag the mirror and the screws.
8. Remove the Left and Right Windshield Plastic Pillar trim, check for cracks, Fill, repair, and paint as needed. Bag and tag screws. Or replace with new or reconditioned trim.
9. Remove the Front and Rear Top strips. The (plastic piece) along the front pinch weld. Clean and paint with vinyl spray paint.
10. Remove center brackets & plastic filler surround on rear window (backlite). Clean and paint the surround and brkts if needed. Again, use vinyl paint, color of choice.
11. Remove both the left and right side Pinchweld Windless. Windless helps hold the headliner in place on the sides.
12. Remove both Rear Side Coat Hooks. Tear open the old material and replace the screw, this will help finding the mounting hole when new headliner is installed.
13. Remove the Dome light lens, remove the attaching screws. Tear open the old material a bit and replace the screws. Again, to help finding the mounting holes when new headliner is installed.
14. Remove the dome light connector clips from the dome light, remove the dome light.
15. Remove the screws at the ends of the headliner bows on the left side. Bag and Tag. Disconnect the bow end from the holes, noting the location they are removed from on both ends. Note: In some cases there may be as many as three holes for the bow ends to enter on a given side, so mark which holes that were used.
16. Remove the old headliner and Bows.
17. Clean old adhesive from the front, rear and sides of the metal roof along the edges.
18. Note: The dome light is attached to a center metal brace that goes from one side of the top to the other. On the back side of that brace is a length of straight round rod rapped with paper. Metal teeth are holding it in place as well as the center section of the headliner. Bend the teeth out a bit so as to give enough space to remove this Bow. This straight piece of rod or bow does not have to be cleaned and painted. The paper aids in not transferring rust to the pillow openings sown into the top.
19. With the straight Bow removed, remove all other Bows. Keep in mind that each has a curvature to each. Usually starting with the most pronounced at the rear and moving forward.
20. Buff, sand or both the rust from the curved Bows. Clean, Prime and Paint each bow.
21. Lay the New headliner finished side down. Find center at the Front and Back and draw a line connecting the front and rear dots. Or fold the new headliner in half and make a mark at the front and rear. Either way it’s center.
22. Measure up from the end of each pillow case two or three inches and make a cut in the tunnel of material, that’s where the bows will exit. The pillow case as I call it, are the gathered and sown long tunnels of material that the bows go into. These tunnels are too long for the bows to exit properly. Hence, the measuring and cutting into the tunnels to create and exit point…. Don’t cut the finished Headliner material.
23. Install the dry freshly painted bows into the tunnels remembering the proper order they go in.
24. Gather up the Headliner and bows and that them to the car.
25. Start by installing the long rod with the paper around it. Using the center line that was drawn in step 20, locate a half moon cutout in the metal just behind where the Dome light was removed (at least on a 1966, no sure on the others). This a half moon cutout is the center of the roof, there’s also a half moon cut out at the front and rear of the metal top). Install the rod and headliner tunnels of material back into where it came and bend the metal tangs or teeth down onto the rod. The teeth will bite into the material as well and hold it in place. Make curtain the material it’s pulled Farley tight to remove any wrinkles…. Before pushing the metal teeth down.

26. With the bows in place, the most difficult part by tucking material into the open end at the front by the windshield. A tucking tool is used to push headliner material onto the slot with sharp barbs along the front and of course keeping the wrinkles out or at lease to a minimum. You will get tired of the word wrinkles before you’re though with this project.

27. Note: For some reason I could not get the material onto the sharp barbs. My method was to use a generous amount of trim cement, pull it tight enough to remove wrinkles and install a new piece of windless across the front section. It Looks and work for me.

28. Note: Use Trim cement along the front strip across the bottom. When the old material was removed it’s easy to see where glue was used on the front rear and sides.

29. Work your way back and across the new headliner, by pulling every direction possible to remove wrinkles and keeping it tight front and back.

30. Like the front, the rear edge also has a slot with the metal barbs, so use your tucking tool to push the material all along the edge. With a bit of luck, the material will find its self attached to the barbs. If not, use trim cement and cap off with some windless to hold it down.

31. Cut and fit the bottom edge of the headliner to the rear pillar area and use some 3M trim cement to hold it.

Happy headliner installing

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2013 07:51PM by MattNall.

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: April 28, 2010 10:48AM

Thanks Matt for the instructions,I need a headliner in my coupe but I have been thinking about having the upholstery shop do it.Anybody know how much a shop charges? I guess I would get the material from Clarks or some other vendor.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Posted by: 63RedBrier ()
Date: April 28, 2010 11:05AM

JimC: Definitely follow Matt's advice on step #20, especially if you are installing a white or light colored headliner! A friend of mine neglected to do this step (removing the rust and sealing/painting the bows) to a white headliner, and now rust is starting to bleed through, now requiring to do the entire job over again (time), plus the cost of another headliner ($$$)! Also, if the windshield and backlight are out to paint the car, don't put them back in until the headliner is done! It makes it tremendously easier! Any minor wrinkles when you get through will iron themselves out after a few days in the hot sun. Good luck! Greg in Alexandria VA

Re: Installation of LM coupe headliner NO NALL
Date: April 28, 2010 11:47AM

Wow now I'm a headliner Expert!! ggg

Don Broadhead supplied the document... I posted it for him.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: volleybob ()
Date: April 28, 2010 12:24PM

Headliner installation is not a piece of cake. You never did it before?
Buy the material from Clarks and have a pro do it. You will save a LOT of time and a LOT of frustration and get a perfect fit with no mess. It is not a costly project at the upholstery shop.
Bob Bacchi - SDCC

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: April 30, 2010 07:58PM

Thanks Matt for the detailed notes on the headliner install. My front and rear windows are out and I will be repainting the glass channel areas, before the headliner install.

I must admit that I have not given thought to the surface condition of the bows, this is probably the best advice as I do not want to do this twice. I better repaint the windlace trim now before I get started.

I will have to check local auto paint supply houses for the vinyl paint, since Clark's does not sell vinyl spray paint these days.

A follow up question. This is my first late model coupe, do the rear quarter windows roll down completely? Mine are up about an inch when rolled down, seems curious that they would not roll completely down, but I have not looked further into the issue.

Thanks again for your comments.

jimc

Posted by: Lynchmob ()
Date: May 02, 2010 06:01AM

I had someone do my headliner about 3 yrs ago for $100. It turned out perfect, and then the car got wrecked.

And yes, the rear quarter windows roll down flush or just below the tops of the fuzzies. I'm not sure why yours wouldn't. Maybe something stuck in the channel or a glitch in the regulator? You'll probably find out when you pop the panel off and look.

Dave Lynch
67 Monza 110/PG
Tucson Corvair Assoc.
www.corvairs.org

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 07, 2019 02:55PM

Following.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 07, 2019 07:32PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Following.

It might be a while before you see any changes in this thread.
Last post prior to yours, was . . . .
2010 ! ! !
eye popping smiley sad smiley eye popping smiley sad smiley eye popping smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: February 08, 2019 11:52AM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Following.
Thanks for finding this thread for me! Lol!
I'm just starting this process, or will be when it starts getting a little warmer in the garage. I looked but couldn't seem to find it. Lots of great info here!!cool smiley

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project

Date: February 08, 2019 12:20PM

Will and others.... It's in our FAQ's under "interior"

Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: February 08, 2019 12:21PM

Thanks!

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project

Date: February 08, 2019 02:11PM

Yeah. I "follow" interesting threads just so I can have them on my list to easily refer to. Also reminds me of just what I was interested in. smiling smiley

Posted by: ken ()
Date: February 09, 2019 07:36AM

Don't use Gorilla glue . It is stated on their can that they don't recommend it for headliners .

Date: February 09, 2019 08:00AM

So I assume that also goes for The Kragle?

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.