Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
"Complex" crank seal
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 15, 2010 06:34PM

On the flywheel end, what is meant by the original "complex" seal design? Is it superior to the other designs? I have some made like every other lip seal you see and some made with what looks like rings of sheet metal crimped and folded around the rubber. If you had a choice, which is best and why.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Complex" crank seal
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 15, 2010 06:36PM

the one were the sping is enclosed in the seal is the best. the others - the spring can come out & really mess up the engine.

-Scott V.

Posted by: Bob Helt ()
Date: February 16, 2010 07:57AM

Got to admit that this is rather a vague remembrance, meaning a speculation to some extent....but I thought that the difference also was that the complex seal included two lips while the other on had just one lip to contact the hub.
Regards,
Bob Helt

Posted by: garydup ()
Date: February 16, 2010 11:21AM

hi guys,the one with out the cover for the spring does not work good by itself,but if it is installed on the 60-61 motor with the flinger on the crank it works very well,remember oil is very busy in this area,with the bleed off of the main bearing and the splash from the cam and crank gears the seal has to work hard at keeping the oil back without any assistance.the flinger workes great at flinging the oil away from the seal at right angles to the crank.

unfortunately they did away with the flinger i think from 62 or 63 onwards,hence the seal with the cover on the front.this seal seams to do the job with the cover deflecting alot of the oil away from the seal even though it stands still with the seal

on the early motors if you are stuck with a late seal you can either remove the flinger,[wear gloves as you will cut your self,this thing is very sharp on the edge] or you can bend the fingers that crimp the cover up and remove the cover.this works either way.hope this sheds some light on which seal to use.

thanks gary

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: February 16, 2010 11:58AM

Crankshaft seal comparison:

Attachments:

Posted by: LeeS ()
Date: February 16, 2010 08:07PM

What would be the adverse consequences of installing the seal backwards? Other than the fact that the spring couldn't pop off and into the crankshaft?

Posted by: ccvair ()
Date: February 16, 2010 08:35PM

If its installed backwards the seal will leak due the fact it does use engine crankcase pressure to help seal it against the crank.And if its backwards the lip closed and is facing in toward the engine and oil will pump right on past it.

Posted by: LeeS ()
Date: February 17, 2010 08:20AM

Really? I wouldn't think that the vented crankcase would build up enough pressure to affect the seals.

As for lip "directionality", the lip would need to point in for pressure to assist the sealing.

Oh well, never mind. It's only important to DO it right, not to understand the reasons.

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: February 17, 2010 08:49AM

I have seen the seals installed wrong. The result was that the flywheel rubbed on the seal housing. (std shift) Don't know what would happen if an Automatic. At any rate it wasn't leaking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.