Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Windshield for A/C cars: Did 'tinted' windshields ever have a blue tint band, too?
Posted by: MrChips ()
Date: January 18, 2010 08:21PM

Picked up a windshield the other week, and noticed it had a tint band across the top.

Yesterday, as I was razoring some paint overspray, I finally saw the PPG text on the cracked windshield in the car:

PPG

SUNSHADE
SOLEX
DUPLATE
LAMINATED
SAFETY-FLOAT

ASI M53 2592
DOT 18
W659

I don't recall seeing any text on the replacement windshield, but I want to make sure the glass is fully tinted, not just a small tint band at the top (pretty, but lets in too much heat not being fully tinted!).

Anyone have a clue? Getting to the now stored windshield will be a pain.... and every time I handle it, I'm nervous - one bump and I get some pretty little pieces to clean up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 08:21PM by MrChips.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Windshield for A/C cars: Did 'tinted' windshields ever have a blue tint band, too?
Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: January 18, 2010 08:58PM

There are three common types of windshields, clear, tinted, and shaded. The difference between tinted and shaded is that shaded also has the darker band on top, the rest of the glass has the same tint.

Your PPG glass is shaded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 09:06PM by NMCarNut.

Re: Windshield for A/C cars: Did 'tinted' windshields ever have a blue tint band, too?
Posted by: Curtis ()
Date: January 18, 2010 09:03PM

Mine is facotry tint all windows. The windshield is tinted, and has the darker and accross the top.

Milwaukee, Wi

CORSA Webmaster: About | Chapters | Vendors | Events | Ads | Registry | Store
CCCC Webmaster
MCC Newsletter Editor - Now on Facebook!

Date: January 18, 2010 09:29PM

OK, so any glass that has a blue tint-band across the top is also a fully-tinted window, then?

I was worrying I'd have to exchange it, and I want to handle it as little a possible before installing it in the car.

Posted by: Curtis ()
Date: January 19, 2010 01:11AM

The "Soft Ray" glass that came from the factory is green actually. I believe the blue ones were replacements/repros. Can someone confirm this please?

Milwaukee, Wi

CORSA Webmaster: About | Chapters | Vendors | Events | Ads | Registry | Store
CCCC Webmaster
MCC Newsletter Editor - Now on Facebook!

Date: January 19, 2010 06:33PM

Both windshields have a 'greenish' color to them - had my pal stand with a white T-shirt on and took photos through each of 'em... but forgot to turn off auto white balance. DOH!

I'll look at the replacement this weekend and see. If I still have my small solar cell soldered to a meter movement, I can check how much light passes through each one, but I have NO idea where I left it years ago. Thanks, Radio Shack 200-in-one electronics experiment lab!

Posted by: gabbagabbawill ()
Date: January 19, 2010 06:44PM

Most glass has a green tint to it. It's because of iron oxide impurities. Are you saying that some windscreens were made with "extra" tinting other than the shade gradient at the top of the glass?

Date: January 19, 2010 08:02PM

Yup.

A/C cars had fully-tinted chunks-o-melted sand to keep some of the head out.

Posted by: VairNut ()
Date: January 19, 2010 09:31PM

My latest acquisition. AC and green glass AND windshield strip.

John

Posted by: tokmik ()
Date: February 10, 2010 12:18PM

Almost all auto glass is tinted with a specific color, which is typically blue, green or brown. To determine which color is in your vehicle, simply hold a piece of white paper behind your glass. Tinted windshield replacement vent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.