Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
starter drags............
Posted by: bubba ()
Date: January 16, 2010 10:54PM

.....what causes that. the one that started this thing, had a new solinoid put on last summer. in the past month it started doing this (dragging). so today, i put another starter on it, it does the same thing. WAAAAAAAAAA!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: starter drags............
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 16, 2010 11:04PM

low voltage!! bad ground / dirty / loose connections

Bad Cables..

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: January 16, 2010 11:07PM

By dragging I assume you mean it cranks slow, or cranks over in "jerks"? Its much more likely you have a bad battery or a bad connection.Just because a connection's tight does not mean its good!

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: January 17, 2010 02:39AM

I'd take a hard look at the electrical grounding of the engine.
Ken
66 Monza 110/PG
Ex Navy electrician who lost mega-sleep over this type of problem...

Date: January 17, 2010 03:23AM

kenzen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd take a hard look at the electrical grounding
> of the engine.
> Ken
> 66 Monza 110/PG
> Ex Navy electrician who lost mega-sleep over this
> type of problem...

oooooo, you have to be talking about the ground straps, no? of which there aint none. cool, tomorrow there will be, though. gggggggg thank you. ken, i bet you watch NCIS. my brother was on a repair ship in the navy....he watches it.

Date: January 17, 2010 02:02PM

TV? When I can be beating on my vair? Actually, the only thing I think that captures the reality of it all is "Das Boot" (I was in subs). Back to the problem at hand, I had a saab 900t that the ground strap "rotted away", and the starting current was actually going thru the greasy shift linkage. Big picture is that the + cable is run right to the starter thru a thick cable for good reason. You need a comparable current path in the ground circuit. The little ground straps on the engine (bridging the engine shround seal) are really to reduce ignition electrical noise to the radio - there needs to be a thick one bolted to the block back to the battery. I beleive its bolted by the alternator - I dont' know what is original since my only vair is a basket case, and I haven't decoded what is "right" yet. Anyone have a picture of the battery cable routing in the engine compt?

Ken
66 Monza 110/PG

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 17, 2010 04:52PM

See diagram for 66 car showing ground cable to alternator.
The starter uses a LOT of current. Sometimes a battery cable will be rotten inside the insulation at terminals. Especially if a lot of battery acid got to them.

I assume you mean the starter is turning slowly when you say "drags".

Some mechanics use the term to mean the starter doesn't disengage from the flywheel when the key is released.

Attachments:
Date: January 18, 2010 03:39AM

That diagram appears to bolt the + lead to the chassis...what does "special bolt" (part #4) look like? There must be an insulator block or terminal in there. My car came with a ball of tape around an electrical nut holding the + wires together... smoking smiley

Ken
66 Monza PG/110

Date: January 18, 2010 03:57AM

kenzen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That diagram appears to bolt the + lead to the
> chassis...what does "special bolt" (part #4) look
> like? There must be an insulator block or
> terminal in there. My car came with a ball of
> tape around an electrical nut holding the + wires
> together... smoking smiley
>
> Ken
> 66 Monza PG/110
hi ken. that #4, on the outside of the frame rail (battery side)) there is a hard hooshmo in the frame that a little bolt goes in to the hold the wires together that go from the starter to the battery......but then, you knew that already.ggggg i THINK its something to help ground the wires cause they ARE going from starter to pos. side of the battery. ok? good, i quit!. gggg

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 18, 2010 03:58AM

Bat POS is the post at the front...going through the grommet to the starter solinoid

You need a "F" battery 24F

Date: January 18, 2010 04:11AM

hi matt, you contraversal old coot. how are ya? i dont need a batt. i need some ground straps.....and this damn snow to stop before it starts. thier saying up to 10 ft. in the higher hills. shades of 92-93.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 18, 2010 04:13AM

Ken
The #4 bolt is actually a small terminal isolated in a plastic insulator from the frame. It allows the POS small wire from the battery to connect to the wiring harness wire that takes the power to the fuse box. As Matt pointed out the NEG cable is the rear one and it does attach to the engine block via the alternator bracket.

Date: January 18, 2010 09:16AM

Guess that's another part I need to hunt down since it's MIA on my car. thanks!
Ken

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.