Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Corvair --> VW swap
Posted by: Craig Chatterton ()
Date: April 22, 2006 11:35PM

I was going to put a Corvair 110 or 95 motor into a VW camper van but after emialing to Clark's - they no longer apparenlty make or supply this kit. Is there any one else out in the corvair comunity that sells these?

Just so you know, I am a corvair guy too - I have a 64 convert. Just thought it would be nice to have a little more umph in the Westy.

Craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair --> VW swap
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 22, 2006 11:39PM

Look on ebay.... they're called TransVair kits.... for using the Vair transaxle

to use the V W trans...just an old adapter.....lots around....or buy new from \

www.kennedyeng.com

Posted by: wcelliot ()
Date: April 23, 2006 03:18AM

They have some of the necessary bits, just not the whole kit. Several of us have these and can assist some... and bits show up regularly on Ebay. Really only a couple of items are critical... most else you can make yourself.

The "big" parts are the axle adapters, the bottom brace (which attaches to the stock VW engine mounts using the stock VW rubber mounts) and the front tranmission brace which attaches at the rear suspension torque tubes (this last bit you could easily have made)

[fnader.com]

You want the Transvair conversion; using the VW transaxle is much more difficult and not as practical.

Bill

Posted by: Greg Hanlin ()
Date: April 24, 2006 12:43PM

Where are you located? I have most of the parts for a transvair swap and would like to move it. I can send pictures - the kit is used, has surface rust, etc. I'm in Dayton OH

Greg

Posted by: craig ()
Date: April 24, 2006 01:23PM

I live in WA state - Vancouver 98685 is the zip if you want to check on shipping.

I understand that there is a different kit for the 4-spd vs the powerglide? If that is the case, which kit do you have?

Craig

Date: April 24, 2006 01:58PM

The only difference in the two kits would be the forward mounting brace and the addtional bits necessary to work out a clutch pedal and gear shifter for the manual (neither of which whould be very difficult).

My PG install is very simple... uses a floor mounted shifter (allowing for the use of a stock shifter cable).

Bill

Posted by: Andy ()
Date: December 18, 2007 05:53AM

Is the Transviar kit still avalible?
Andy

Posted by: corvairbusguy ()
Date: December 18, 2007 08:40AM

I drive one too. I was collecting the parts piece by piece and then I bought one already running so I sold off my spares. See my ad on the Samba it shows parts you need, also an ad of a guy in SF with parts to sell. Bill is right, go with the 2spd PG combo.

[www.thesamba.com]

[www.thesamba.com]

You can have the best of both worlds! TransVair

Greg, do you have an inventory of your parts? Someone in the bus club may be interested in those. - pj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2007 08:44AM by corvairbusguy.

Posted by: Gary M. ()
Date: January 16, 2008 05:06PM

Hi Greg, Do you still have the Transvair Swap parts? If so, I am very interested in them. I too reside in the Dayton Ohio area, but at present, I am overseas and will return in April. This would add extra "umph" to my 78 Westy. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Gary

Posted by: ubuck ()
Date: January 16, 2008 08:23PM

Starr Cooke has one up on Ebay right now:

[cgi.ebay.com]

Brian
63 Monza Convertibile Sprint Clone
64 Monza Coupe Sprint Clone
65 Monza Convertible
66 Corsa Convertible
69 Grand Prix Model J
2004 SSR

South Holland, IL

Corsa/CCE

"Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be." Ashleigh Brilliant

Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: January 17, 2008 02:58AM

Hello Matt: Greg Hanlin suggested he had parts for a TRANSVAIR, I think ubuck is trying to buy those. The subject line got switched a bit, a fairly common happening but it is human nature (or at least with this human, I do it myself once in a while). gggggggggggg

Best, Steve

Posted by: ubuck ()
Date: January 17, 2008 05:59PM

No...I'm not trying to buy them.

My apologies to Mr. Nall. Oh, wait...maybe my apology should go in the NON CORVAIR section.

Thank you, Mr. Goodman.

Brian
63 Monza Convertibile Sprint Clone
64 Monza Coupe Sprint Clone
65 Monza Convertible
66 Corsa Convertible
69 Grand Prix Model J
2004 SSR

South Holland, IL

Corsa/CCE

"Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be." Ashleigh Brilliant

Re: Corvair --> VW swap / ubuck
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 17, 2008 06:04PM

No appologies.. Craig changed his name in mid thread...and so I thought he was out of it...

PS no more Non Vair....ggggg

Posted by: Kevin ()
Date: June 03, 2008 07:11PM

Looking for a complete kit or parts. Kmfear@aol.com or (315) 415 0261. Can this be done on a 1972 VW Bus?

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: June 03, 2008 07:25PM

Yes !

transvair and also Crown shown below.

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza
Juneau. Alaska

Attachments:

Date: June 03, 2008 07:28PM

It's a tad more work to fit into a Type IV engined bus than a Type I, but still very doable.

Call Clarks... they may have more bits in stock than you might think.

Bill

Posted by: corvairbusguy ()
Date: June 03, 2008 08:02PM

Read over this thread from the samba, [www.thesamba.com]

I will help all I can. email me at navypo1@hotmail.com

There is a conversion is Florida for sale too [www.thesamba.com]

good luck

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: June 03, 2008 08:17PM

Check out [www.shoptalkforums.com] scroll down & click onto the 'conversions perversions forum' a site dealing exclusively in crazy swaps into VW's , search for all the Corvair into VW swaps, there are quite a few , though it is an unpopular swap today, as there are plenty of better , lower cost alternatives in 2008 that work well. The Vair swap works well, but it hasn't been popular since 1975 or so, just too many superior alternatives, .... the Vair swap is considered "Old, OLD SCHOOL, as in fossilized, stone aged, though it works great. Also a lot of those VW people have the old Trans Vair parts/adaptors sitting in their shops and back lots gathering dust. Tim @ Bell Automotive in North Augusta SC probably knows who has one thats a member of the All things VW Club, [www.atvw.com]

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: June 03, 2008 08:17PM

I will look when I am at the lake house tomorrow night. I may still have a lot of copies from when dad sold OTTO PARTS to Clark's of the Transvair kit. I can't remember what all is there for it and the Crown Corv-8 conversions. I will take a look.

I seem to remember parts lists and drawings.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: jeff ballard ()
Date: June 05, 2008 10:16PM

hi,
i have 2 new clark's version of the vw cv to corvair ujoint adaptor i would sell
contact offline
jeff ballard
805 320-9032
jbscyenko@aol.com

ys-077

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.