Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Garage floor covering...
Posted by: Anton ()
Date: December 22, 2009 04:22PM

Hello Everyone,

What is the best to put on the concreete floor under the car for the winter ???
I been using cardboard but heared carpet is better...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Garage floor covering...
Posted by: wcelliot ()
Date: December 22, 2009 04:31PM

I think the best way to work on a car on a concrete floor in the winter is to first place the concrete floor somewhere like Florida.

Otherwise, I like to use a roller when I can and cardboard (or an old blanket) when I can't.

Cardboard can be thrown away and blankets washed (when the wife is out of course... also the best time to use the dishwasher and oven for other automotive needs).

I dislike carpet because it gets dirty, greasy and smelly...

Posted by: gabbagabbawill ()
Date: December 22, 2009 04:34PM

something like this comes to mind... [www.northerntool.com]

There's also more permanent solutions like the kind of underlayment heaters that are installed in bathrooms and kitchens underneath the tile... it serves a dual purpose, as it also heats the garage.

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: December 22, 2009 04:51PM

My read of the original post is that he is asking about what to put down for winter storage of the car, not working on it. Is that correct? If so, I put down a sheet of plastic under mine. Serves to keep moisture for rising and any fluids from leaking on the concrete (not that vairs ever leak...winking smiley).

Dave

Posted by: gabbagabbawill ()
Date: December 22, 2009 05:01PM

I guess I was assuming the only reason it was going in a garage was to work on it... not for winter storage. cool smiley

Posted by: nnsquared ()
Date: December 22, 2009 05:04PM

Wish I could go back ten years and put that radiant heat in the floor.

Regards,
Kerwin,
Valley Forge, PA
65 Monza 110 PG, Stinger wannabe SW 001

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: December 22, 2009 06:33PM

bought1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My read of the original post is that he is asking
> about what to put down for winter storage of the
> car, not working on it. Is that correct? If so, I
> put down a sheet of plastic under mine. Serves to
> keep moisture for rising and any fluids from
> leaking on the concrete
(not that vairs ever
> leak...winking smiley).

Vairs are similar to Harleys - They never leak! They merely mark their territory... gggg

Posted by: Anton ()
Date: December 22, 2009 07:39PM

Hi ,

Yes , I was wondering what to put down to stop the mosture from the concreete floor...

Posted by: corvrman ()
Date: December 22, 2009 08:22PM

That's not an oil leak, it's sweat from all that horsepower

CORVAIRENGINE.COM

Posted by: friedfish80 ()
Date: December 22, 2009 09:17PM

anyone ever try useing jackstands to store the car. the tires arent on the ground so not much to worry about there,

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: December 22, 2009 09:21PM

I would think that letting your suspension droop is probably not good for the shocks in the long term.

Dave

Posted by: 65_Turbo ()
Date: December 22, 2009 09:23PM

There are several companies that sell garage floor paint. However, the ones I have used that you can buy at the local hardware store scratch easily. They also sell oil resistant floor tile that interlocks in place. the tile is expensive, but easy to clean.

For me, I bought the EXCarlift, so moving around on a creeper is much easier. I use kitty litter to soak up the oil stains, and Dawn dish soap to clean the oil spots afterwords. Dawn works great on parts cleaning as well as washing your hands after working on the car.

Bruce
65 Corsa Vert first car
65 Corsa Turbo Vert current car
65 Monza Sedan "Airvair"
Bolingbrook, Il
Corvair Society of America
Chicago Corvair Enthusiasts
Frankfort Car Club

Posted by: Andrew ()
Date: December 22, 2009 09:48PM

When your garage floor gets wet in the wintertime, some of the moisture is coming up thru the concrete, assuming you don't have a vapor barrier under the slab. The rest (most) of the moisture is coming from the air. A cool unheated garage will hold moisture in the air during the day and later when the temperature drops it falls from the air as dew. Next day it warms back up and evaporates back in to the air. Carpet will only hold the moisture longer and make things worse. This is even more common when you heat the space by burning portable propane or kerosene. One of the combustion byproducts is H20 and that gets released into the heated space.

Having the car in the air may let more air circulate underneath and minimize surface rusting from floor moisture.

Best plan is a full time heated garage with a vapor barrier under the slab....A guy can dream.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: December 23, 2009 12:37AM

Real men don't care what their garage floor looks like. cool smiley

Real men don't care what they roll around in on their garage floor. cool smiley

Real men don't need any padding on their garage floor. cool smiley

Real men don't need to paint their garage floor. cool smiley

Paso Robles CA and Palmtuckey CA-Unsafe At Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (est 1938) CORSA Member-Corsa West-High Desert Corvairs Corvanatic-Ventura County Corvair-Central Coast Corsa-Angel Fan Since 1978...HALO POWER!! So Cal Gas Since 1974 (retired) L/M Landspeed 3L/915 T04B methanol Coupe-65 Corsa-62 Rampside-B&M Blown Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-Next Build L/M ADE/BBC/PG/QC Street Racer-Diesel Streamliner 7.3IDI/C6/GV/9" Dream-1939 Lincoln Zephyr V12-Vehicles in My Possession...10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 12:38AM by Phil Dally.

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: December 23, 2009 12:49AM

I have the U-Coat it on my floor and so far it has been nice. we will see how it looks after this winter.

Sam Russell
Chapel Hill NC
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: macavs ()
Date: December 23, 2009 01:19AM

I have 2" 250psi Insulating foam with a vapor barrier above and radiant heat, 4 inches of concrete, topped off with U-coat-it. Save yourself a lot of money and use Visqueeen (plastic sheeting). I think carpet on top of the visqueen would add some insulating value.

Mike C ........... Northern Indiana

1965 Corsa In my family for 47 years

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: December 23, 2009 01:52AM

Floor jacks for winter storage is a great idea, but just as important is where you place them.

Getting the tires off the ground without a load, prevents flat spots, yes even new tires will flat spot, though it may not be permanent.

A previous response concerning the shocks being extended and possible damage is a legitimate concern. The shocks being fully suspended for a long period can be tough on the shocks.

The solution for both issues, place the floor jacks under the appropriate Corvair suspension member; front (A-Arm) or rear Torque arm, that way the tires are off the ground and the shocks are not extended, you might want to put a wood block between the suspension member and jack head to prevent damage to a fresh suspension paint job.

Jimc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.