Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Ed Roth's "Road Agent" sold for $187,000
Posted by: AProsise ()
Date: December 16, 2009 02:24AM

Well the "Road Agent" just sold at a rod and custom auction recently...As seen in Hot Rod magazine. For those of you who dont know, It featured a Corvair engine with a flipped upside-down transmission...$187,000

Current: 1969 500 auto
Past vairs: '64 110hp 4 sp.
Davenport, Ia

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ed Roth's "Road Agent" sold for $187,000
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:29AM

A buddy invited to go to a model show and sale. I stopped making models when I was old enough to get a real car, but I couldn't resist buying this Revell model of the Road Agent.

The last time I saw Big Daddy was up at the Moon Eyes and Rat Rod get together in L.A. the year before he died. The crowd was about ten times bigger than what was expected and and one heck of a line of younger folks waiting to talk to him and get his autograph.

Attachments:
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:44AM

I got his autograph at a World of Wheels show once - he was signing just about anything you handed him.

I have a bunch of pictures of the Road Agent, after restoration (As shown above) somewhere.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: RAV_AIR ()
Date: December 16, 2009 01:02PM

I really like the Big Daddy Roth customs, but the road agent in my opinion is REALLY ugly. I wonder if he got the top from Darryl Starbird?

"So where do they put the engines in these things?"
"They put em where they belong....in the rear."
No More Vair :-(
Topeka, KS

Posted by: swi66 ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:21PM

Roth was great.
He came to a toy show/ Car cruise out my way, and would sign anything.

I kept getting back in line as I had several bags of collectibles, from modern roth toys, to original kit boxes. He was very gracious to his fans..........

Posted by: gabbagabbawill ()
Date: December 16, 2009 05:46PM

COOL!

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: December 16, 2009 08:18PM

For those of you that do not read HotRod magazine the pictures above are from an auction conducted by RM Auctions and was held at HotRod's Peterson Museum in Los Angeles. Tickets for the auction were $80 for two and included a 280 page, limited Edition program. It was a single seller auction that was part of a 210 car collection he had amassed over the last four years. Many of the cars had been sold over the last year at other auctions and private sales. 83 cars and 70 lots of memorabilia and vintage speed equipment auctioned here, were the last and netted $6.9M

I don't know if this story is sad or just crazy.

Buying that many cars over such a short period of time meant he paid well above the current market value at the time. Many of them were historically significant cars that were not for sale and he threw enough money at people to pry them loose.
The overpriced Chevelle in the first picture caused a ripple effect that jacked the price of every Chevelle in the country to twice its previous value.
The article was vague, but he apparently went into seven figures on scores of his purchases. His spending spree jacked the prices of all collector cars.
He even spent a ton of money on a team of restorers bringing many of them back to life.
It is sad that this guy lost untold millions for his foolishness, but he also did a lot of damage to the hobby for the average Joe.

I could be wrong, but is that gold thing in the bottom picture a Dodge A100 Forward control pickup?

Attachments:
Posted by: monza67 ()
Date: December 17, 2009 02:07AM

I saw the Road Agent at a show in Davenport, Iowa probably 8-10 years ago. It was owned by a guy from Minnesota and he was the one that restored it. He was a big Ed Roth fan and was actually building a street legal car in the Ed Roth style. After the frame was built, Roth packed the frame with paper machee (sp?) and formed it to the general shape. He then hand laid the fiberglas. The Road Agent wasn't street legal or practical. I did see the guy driving it at the show and he said he had to drive with the bubble slightly lifted to allow for some ventilation. By the way, the bubble was created by Ed Roth in a pizza oven and was blown with compressed air.
Chuck Prosise

Posted by: Impala Guy ()
Date: December 17, 2009 03:47AM

Off Topic;
I'm glad to see there are other faithful Hot Rod magazine readers on this board. Anybody else going on the Power Tour this year?

'65 Corsa Turbo
'65 Greenbrier Deluxe
'65 Impala SS Ragtop
'95 Impala SS Sedan
'04 Pontiac GTO

Capital City Corvairs
Raleigh, NC

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: December 17, 2009 04:42AM

I've only known one guy that went on the Power Tour and he dropped out after a couple of days and returned home.
He said it was just too much work to be fun. He had to drive all day at above posted speed limits in order to get to the next stop. It was expected that they arrive there in time to totally clean, detail the car. He felt the scheduled demands for the participants took all the fun out of it.

Posted by: SSpeed66 ()
Date: December 17, 2009 08:33AM

That "Gold Thing" is the Deora ! VERY Famous Hot Wheel from '68 ! Yes it is a Dodge

Al Macaulay - Okanagan Valley, BC
Western Canada Corsa

Link to my Corsa build- [corvaircenter.com]
Link to my Cobra boat Project- [www.sidewinder-boats.com]

66 Corsa 140 HT - 402BBC/Turbo 425, 66 CDN Corsa 'Vert 140, 79 Cobra 16SS/Merc 1500, 69 Triumph Trident Chopper, 67 BSA Lightning Custom
Cobra Custom Metal Design/ God Bless Canada

Posted by: jmbyard ()
Date: December 18, 2009 01:57AM

When I was consulting and could afford such things, I ran the east coast leg of the Power Tour two years in a row. This was '98 and '99 and I'm sure it has changed, but in those days it was pretty low pressure. Except for the 8:00 (?) AM driver's meetings, nothing was scheduled. It was usually about 400 miles a day, pretty much just driving from one car show to the next.

If you wanted to make the magazine, you really had to have brought something special, but for us regular guys, it was pretty much a rolling car-oriented party.

If I had the wheels for it, (and the Y2K panic made a comeback) I would do it again in a heartbeat. Wonder how the '66 would look with a 471 sticking through the hood...

Johnny B
Greenville, SC
1966 Monza Coupe
1968 BSA Victor
1982 CB900F Super Sport

Posted by: Impala Guy ()
Date: December 18, 2009 03:50AM

The '99 East tour was my first time. This year will be my 10th "Long Haul". I aim to take one of my 'Vairs this year. There have been precious few Corvairs on the tour. The only one I remeber from last year was a neat '69 ragtop with a V8. If anyone else is going either post or PM.

'65 Corsa Turbo
'65 Greenbrier Deluxe
'65 Impala SS Ragtop
'95 Impala SS Sedan
'04 Pontiac GTO

Capital City Corvairs
Raleigh, NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.