Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Muffler help
Posted by: Mason H ()
Date: December 10, 2009 04:06AM

I have been looking at things on Clark's for a Christmas list and i remembered i need a new muffler since mine is rusted out, which is weird because there isn't really a lot of other rust on the car. But anyways, i found the welded dual muffler on Clark's and it says for all engines for 60-69 except 140's and turbos. i have a 110, but mine is only a single muffler how hard is it to use the dual? or is there really no work needed to make it work?
Thanks in advance, Mason

65 Monza 110. Arizona.

"This Corvair isn't Jesus, but it will walk on water"

"I have to go in the garage and flip mine over at least once a week cause it rolls over so easily" -davhamm

The above is a picture of what i used to own, i am no longer a vair owner. Just someone who comes to pass a few minutes and pass on what knowledge i do have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2009 04:10AM by Mason H.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Muffler help
Posted by: mikemike ()
Date: December 10, 2009 04:19AM

Clark's made it pretty easy for ya.

Unbolt your factory "Y" pipe at the exhaust manifolds.
Unbolt your muffler strap.
Remove your old exhaust system.

Now...
Bolt the first muffler onto one of the exhaust manifolds.
Bolt up the muffler strap.
Repeat on the other side.

I think the only modification you might have to do is to drill a hole for the muffler strap on the drivers side of the car. (Installation of all exhaust doughnuts is implied) ggg.

'64 Monza Coupe (Sold)
'65 Corsa Coupe (Sold)
'61 Lakewood (Sold)
[Next Corvair Here] :-)

Date: December 10, 2009 04:26AM

is everything that is needed for install in the package?

65 Monza 110. Arizona.

"I have to go in the garage and flip mine over at least once a week cause it rolls over so easily" -davhamm

The above is a picture of what i used to own, i am no longer a vair owner. Just someone who comes to pass a few minutes and pass on what knowledge i do have.

Re: Muffler help / warning
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 10, 2009 04:42AM

Is your car a PG? if so you don't want duals.. unless you add a large balance pipe.

Re: Muffler help / warning
Date: December 10, 2009 04:45AM

yea its a PG. so i should just go with single?

65 Monza 110. Arizona.

Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: December 10, 2009 05:00AM

they say with the crossover you have more bottom end torque, or at least thats what ive always heard.

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
Mine-66 monza vert 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa factory turbo coupe fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
66 Corsa 140 coupe 95% rust free car, build or sell
Corvair sand rail bought for motor. FOR SALE without motor
My dads's vairs-
66 Corsa crown V8 350/4spd coupe-100% home built by father and son
66 monza vert-weber'd 140 race motor/95hp driver motor/4 spd- YENKO clone project in the works
65 monza vert toronado 455 FOR SALE

Posted by: Rafman ()
Date: December 10, 2009 06:14AM

You heard, you heardeye rolling smiley ! I run duals in my 64 PG, way better than a single stock crappy muffler , it's the way to go, man , best affordable upgrade you can do to your Powerglide or 4-speed !Right away, I noticed the performance .Myself, I don't even run stock ones, they are too heavy,and there's a lot of restriction. I run some aftermarket ones, pretty quiet with a nice rumble, you can adapt some cool chrome tips.have fun installing your dual system, stock or aftermarket, and keep it rolling, peace out !
Rafee Corvair , parts and service in the Heartland of the USA
www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice
e-mail: rafee@rafeecorvair.com

Attachments:

Date: December 10, 2009 06:35AM

Mason, do you just need a muffler? or is the crossover pipe rotted as well?

If only a muffler.. find a Flowtech Raptor.... many local FLAPS carry them, or Summit / Jegs do...

Get a 2" and have a shop make a swedge / adapter...

nice sound on a single and way less restriction than a stocker! As the Rafman sez!

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: December 10, 2009 10:32PM

Posted by: wcelliot ()
Date: December 10, 2009 11:20PM

IME, duals with open mufflers really sap low end torque and tend to sound "ratty" in a PG. I much much prefer a modern turbo muffler on the stock crossover.

Gives you much better peak power without hurting the low end... and it sounds great, too.

Date: December 11, 2009 05:02AM

Matt- i only need the muffler, thats the only part rotted through. and waht dies this swedge/adapter look like? i do welding at school a lot and could maybe fab one after school one day, if its that kind of thing.

I think i'm just going to go with that Flowtech, i just googled it and they are incredibly cheap, well compared to the one at Clark's that was like $120

65 Monza 110. Arizona.

Date: December 11, 2009 05:08AM

You are getting smart!! Dummies call us Cheap! LOL!

Most flaps will have several sizes..but you need 1-7/8" OD up to 2" ID

Date: December 11, 2009 05:13AM

ok so if i make one of those, looks easy enough. the outlet diameter, from where it attaches to the y-pipe right?, needs to be 1- 7/8" then the inlet where it should attach to the muffler needs to be a little bigger than the end on the muffle so it fits right, but ideally i want a muffler with a 2 inch inlet?

65 Monza 110. Arizona.

Date: December 11, 2009 05:15AM

YUP!! but measure what YOU have before making / buying it..

50 years.. lots of aftermarket pipes out there.

Date: December 11, 2009 05:18AM

thats a good idea. after i get a new muffler, which is a lot cheaper than i (well my dad) had thought, ill measure the inlet then go to the shop early or stay after and make it real fast. shouldn't be too hard. thanks for the help.

so this one should be an ok one to getFLAPS muffler?

65 Monza 110. Arizona.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2009 05:19AM by Mason H.

Date: December 11, 2009 05:25AM

$22 on Amazon right now

Attachments:
Date: December 11, 2009 05:28AM

damn, too bad i don't have any money due to a lack of a job because i'm not old enough to get a real job, damn those laws haha. i'm am mostly getting money for Christmas so i can buy a bunch of parts and stuff, should be fun fun fun

65 Monza 110. Arizona.

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: December 11, 2009 07:55AM

Mason H Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matt- i only need the muffler, thats the only part
> rotted through. and waht dies this swedge/adapter
> look like? i do welding at school a lot and could
> maybe fab one after school one day, if its that
> kind of thing.
>
> I think i'm just going to go with that Flowtech, i
> just googled it and they are incredibly cheap,
> well compared to the one at Clark's that was like
> $120

Mason,

not sure where you're getting your prices from but a single stock replacement muffler is only $65 bucks from Clark's. Yeah it's still more than the FLAPS muffler but it ain't no $120 bucks.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Date: December 12, 2009 12:39AM

yea i was looking at the welded dual muffler, so i am assuming that one is more than just a replacement stock one

65 Monza 110. Arizona.

Posted by: karlrj ()
Date: September 16, 2010 12:20AM

Will the Flowtech Raptor mount to the stock muffler mount?

Randy Karl
68 Monza 110 PG
Colorado Springs

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.