Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
putting a corvair motor in to a 77 vw bug
Posted by: chevwagon ()
Date: October 22, 2009 02:03AM

Hi
i was wondring how easy it might be to put a corvair motor and trans in to a vw bug and what i might have to do to make it all work

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: putting a corvair motor in to a 77 vw bug
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: October 22, 2009 03:12AM

Its easier to get the adapter and use the VW transaxle. To do this you need to convertor to reverse rotation. To do a Corvair transaxle would require some custom axles since the 77 bug has CV joints. Along with the shift linkage and clutch cable. Basically a lot more work involved to do the Corvair trans.

Posted by: 1bad67 ()
Date: October 22, 2009 03:17AM

Can't you flip the ring gear instead of reversing the rotation of the motor?

Eric
Portland Oregon

Pics of my '65 Corvair
Pics of the Convertible

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 22, 2009 03:24AM

1bad67 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't you flip the ring gear instead of reversing
> the rotation of the motor?

Steve adds: Most of the IRS transaxles don't take to flipping the ring gear however even if it did you have the following issues:

Poor starter adapter instead of using stock VW starter
Poor life in the gearbox since it is still being turned backwards. The thrust washers and synchros are positioned wrong PLUS the ring/pinion are being turned backward thus spreading the gears apart during accel instead of pulling the gears together.

Reverse turning the engine accomplishes something else too. In the old days of flipping the ring gears in the swing axle cars the cheapest engine was sourced from a wrecking yard and stuck into the bug. In most cases it didn't run well, leaked a ton and ran poorly. The owner would get so disgusted that he never wanted to hear the word "Corvair" again. When adding the reverse rotation cam it means the engine is rebuilt and will be a great running/no leaking engine for a long time. IOW, a positive mark for the Corvair.

Sincere regards, Steve

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1967 monza 110/4
1968 monza 110/4 1971 amante gt 110/4

Golden, Colo. CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: 1bad67 ()
Date: October 22, 2009 03:27AM

Thanks. I knew it sounded too easy, just didn't know why

Eric

Eric
Portland Oregon

Pics of my '65 Corvair
Pics of the Convertible

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: October 22, 2009 06:28AM

Putting a Corvair engine in a '77 bug with its 3.88 to 1 Ring & Pinion and the fact 4th gear is overdrive in bug tranny, you will have significant top end capability (much more than "aerodynamics" of bug will permit!) Just realize that with Wind and speeds approaching 90mph & beyond ... A Ghia, Squareback, Fastback, will be better at extreme speed. Anyway it should be fun! The bug gear ratios from 1st thru 4th should be great with the Corvair engine, especially the late bug tranny---extremely durable--and smooth shifting . FINAL DRIVE RATIO 3.88 : 1 4th gear 0.93 3rd 1.26 2nd 2.06 1st 3.78 (late bugs/SuperBeetles '73 -'79 had those ratios I believe--Supers had MacPherson strut front approx 1 inch longer wheelbase, spare tire lays down round trunk bottom '73-'79 Supers had curved windshield) Dual port/doghouse era 1971 & 1972 bugs/Supers had 4:12 Ring & Pinion FINAL DRIVE 4.12 : 1 4th gear 0.89 3rd 1.26 2nd 2.06 1st 3.80 Super Beetle came out as 1971 model, strut front, approx 1 inch longer WB Supers had FLAT Windshields in 1971 & 1972 HERE are 1965 CORVAIR 4 SPEED ratios from specifications sec of 1965 Shop Manual 4th gear 1.00 3rd 1.44 2nd 2.19 1st 3.20 HERE ARE 1966 CORVAIR 4 SPEED ratios from spec sect of 1966 SHOP MANUAL SUPP. 4th gear 1.00 3rd 1.47 2nd 2.20 1st 3.11 YOU ALL KNOW THIS BUT , ALL IRS BUG TRAN 1969models thru 1979 can interchange with IRS tran (there are slight mount diffs to put say a '71 into a '69) 1968 Bug was swingaxle EXCEPT the AUTOSTIK had IRS in 1968. IRS from 1969 onwards for German bugs. All Mexican bugs thru the end , 2003 were Swingaxle. All Brazilian bugs were Swingaxle. Essentially Mexican & Brazilian bugs were like 1968 bugs (68 was 1st modern look bug with, fuel door, modern bumpers etc) Also 1977 was the Final year of the BUG from Germany as 1978 & 1979 only SuperBeetle Convertibles were produced in Germany! Check out these old shoptalk Conversion Perversions Forum Threads About How To Do A Corvair Engine into A Volkswagen [www.shoptalkforums.com] [www.shoptalkforums.com] [www.shoptalkforums.com] [www.shoptalkfprums.com] [www.shoptalkforums.com] [www.shoptalkforums.com] [www.shoptalkforums.com] I hope that the links are all properly typed so they work and I hope the information is useful. Please remember these links are from a VW forum so they may not have all the Corvair knowledge that the mighty MacGyvers of Corvair Center have. Certainly you might want to post any relevant corrections, improvements, Clarks parts #'s, and availability, and/or your own Corvair into Volkswagen (Bug, Bus, Buggy, Sandrail whatever) over there on shoptalforums 'Conversion Perversion Forum'. You can post link to your own site or just post all there. Good way to let VW crowd know that its a conversion thats still doable and give them tips on parts avail & how best to obtain the parts---Perhaps you got conversion adapt stuff layin about in your garage or vice versa, lot of VW guys have old TransVair conversion stuff for Bay Window ('68 - '79 Bus) laying around as quite a bit more alternatives since the 1970's (no one is doing the old school Corvair into VW Bus anymore---not necessarily bad, just not popular since Nixon/Ford/Carter era but hey there are still a few fans of Disco, Vegas, Pacers, & Pintos too...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 22, 2009 01:58PM

Unless you like the look of an engine hanging out the back of your Bug don't do it, it won't fit without a lot of sheetmetal cutting. A bus is different though, I like that conversion. Why not do a Type 4 conversion instead? Those make a ton more torque than a Type 1 engine.

Posted by: philoucas ()
Date: November 30, 2009 10:22AM

I'm putting a Corvair engine with it's powerglide into my vw notchback...

See here :

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 30, 2009 03:46PM

Right the Karman Ghias and T3's are good as well! Only the beetle doesn't have enough body...

But then you could go mid engined!

Date: November 30, 2009 06:49PM

Too much hacking. We've been over this a zillion times on The Samba (been a member for years), and I still have yet to see someone do this. People also ask about putting in 5-speeds all the time, and I've only seen maybe 2-3 of those done with any attention to detail.

Posted by: Vanman ()
Date: December 02, 2009 12:14AM

Realy only ideal with a transvair on a baja, also using a bus trans. I have a rotary adaptor though if your interested, at least you dont have to worry about reverse rotation. There are a few conversion forums out there to do research on also, I dont know of any names off hand though.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kevin
Plainfield, IL
'63 2dr Biscayne
'63 VW Custom bug project
Former Corvan owner

Just hangin round to shoot the schtik

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 02, 2009 02:45AM

We are currently in the middle of installing a built turbo Corvair engine and transaxle into a Transporter. Next project will be a built Corvair engine and transaxle into a Karman Ghia.
Stock for stock. An average 164 cube Vair engine will have almost 100 lb/ft of torque and 50+ horses (if using a 110) over a VW Type 1 engine. Plus the Vair transaxle is stronger and easier to build and get parts for.
The Vair engine is about 80 lbs heavier than the VW Type 1, but close in weight to the Type 4.

Posted by: nnsquared ()
Date: December 02, 2009 04:09AM

Again, I have corvair=to=VW, 4" to small, metal heater adapters, with an open/shut flapper. Free to whoever needs them. Came with my RR engine years ago.

Regards,
Kerwin,
Valley Forge, PA
65 Monza 110 PG, Stinger wannabe SW 001

Posted by: CMD ()
Date: December 03, 2009 05:44AM

miniman82 Wrote:
> Too much hacking. We've been over this a zillion
> times on The Samba (been a member for years), and
> I still have yet to see someone do this. People
> also ask about putting in 5-speeds all the time,
> and I've only seen maybe 2-3 of those done with
> any attention to detail.

I've done several of these, over the years. The IRS pan is easiest and the Powerglide even simpler. Anyone with basic fabrication skills and equipment can do this with few after market parts.smiling smiley

CMD
Photobucket

Date: December 03, 2009 06:22AM

I hope that wasnt a real split window. sad smiley

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kevin
Plainfield, IL
'63 2dr Biscayne
Former Corvan owner

Date: December 03, 2009 06:57AM

Yes, it is.

I hacked the package tray out of my '58 to make room for the turbo system, so what? Lots of people 'ruin' good old cars, it's about what the owner wants, not what the purists want.

Here's a Subie in an Oval.

This car makes 300+hp at the wheels, I doubt anyone cares he hacked his split. grinning smiley

Here's his thread: [shoptalkforums.com]

Posted by: CMD ()
Date: December 03, 2009 09:26AM

miniman82 Wrote:
> Yes, it is.
>
> I hacked the package tray out of my '58 to make
> room for the turbo system, so what? Lots of
> people 'ruin' good old cars, it's about what the
> owner wants, not what the purists want.
>
>
> Here's a Subie in an Oval.
> [i28.photobucket.com]
> /classic%20weekend%2008/classicweekend08373.jpg
>
>
> This car makes 300+hp at the wheels, I doubt
> anyone cares he hacked his split. grinning smiley
> [images.thesamba.com]
> pg
>
> [images.thesamba.com]
> pg
>
>
> Here's his thread:
> [shoptalkforums.com]
> 72&start=0

OH! You wanted HORSEPOWER?grinning smiley

CMD

[photobucket.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2009 09:28AM by CMD.

Posted by: nnsquared ()
Date: December 03, 2009 04:04PM

Heater connectors have been spoken for.

Regards,
Kerwin,
Valley Forge, PA
65 Monza 110 PG, Stinger wannabe SW 001

Date: December 04, 2009 02:59AM

Miniman, to each's own. I dont think I would cut up a split like that, but thats me. I get crap about hacking a '63 bug so I know what your saying. Im a hot rodder at heart, and cant leave anything stock, but I prefer full bodied,dropped bugs. Once again all about ones taste.

Kevin
Plainfield, IL
'63 2dr Biscayne
Former Corvan owner

Date: December 04, 2009 03:28AM

Who gets bent out of shape at a '63? That's not the one year Bug, is it? I can never remember.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.