Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: Kevin H ()
Date: September 07, 2021 08:20PM

Cal Clark in an interview back in 2013 guessed between 50 and 100 thousand left

[youtu.be]

Kevin in Pasadena, CA

67 Monza 110 Vert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: September 07, 2021 10:20PM

Thought some would like to know a little more about George Murphy who interviewed Cal Clark. [connectingpoint.nepm.org] sad smiley Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: September 07, 2021 10:37PM

Forgot to mention that I though he was older but he was born in 1948. Too bad. He was a local treasure for sure. I've always liked these types of shows as they are few and far between anymore. eye rolling smiley Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 08, 2021 05:02AM

I've got 11 with only two running. One of those is a racecar which I can't really take anywhere. I'm so ashamed. Boy I got a lot of plans though...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com



Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 08, 2021 02:29PM

You have a higher percent running than I do.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: September 10, 2021 03:28AM

There are several ways of looking at this subject. Consider the following:

Without an exact figure number-crunching, I'd say that GM produced about 9 coupes to every 3 4-doors and 2 convertibles. But just look around any CORSA convention and note what you see. It's because EVERYbody saves convertibles, with anything 2 door being a close second, that you'll see about 80-90% of the cars are coupes or convertibles, with the rest of the body styles splitting the remaining numbers.

A quick run-through of any Hemmings would indicate that manufacturers rarely made anything but 2 doors and convertibles. Occasionally wagons or 4 doors, but not many.

Face it. Some body styles are assumed to be more desirable and some less so, or worse. So the attrition rate varies with body style, despite what is deep down truly wanted by potential owners. Maybe it's just me, but I think that there are many well-styled 4-doors, and quite a few really ugly 2 door cars,

So I feel that too many have the wrong idea that everybody else prefers 2 door cars, when there are people like me who prefer something else. Even my own mechanic, who has known me for decades, asked me why I restored THAT particular car (my '67 Monza 4 door). Once I explained, I think he understood.

If anything, what worries me most is that there are some "year-only" items (like doors) that would be impossible to replace, should I have an accident. They only made about 6,000 '67 4 doors, and with a higher-than-normal attrition rate, I'd guestimate that there may only be about 300 or less of them around. So the odds of finding ANY (let alone not rusted away) usable parts would doom my car, because in such a case, what would normally be considered a "repairable wreck" would very likely become terminal. Now THAT is scary.

Some things to think about.

-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 10, 2021 09:22AM

Yes, but, how many Corvairs are on the road?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 10, 2021 11:44AM

Forgive me I'm off my my meds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 10, 2021 06:18PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are several ways of looking at this subject. Consider the following:
>
> Without an exact figure number-crunching, I'd say that GM produced about 9 coupes to every 3 4-doors and 2 convertibles. But just look around any CORSA convention and note what you see. It's because EVERYbody saves convertibles, with anything 2 door being a close second, that you'll see about 80-90% of the cars are coupes or convertibles, with the rest of the body styles splitting the remaining numbers.
>
> A quick run-through of any Hemmings would indicate that manufacturers rarely made anything but 2 doors and convertibles. Occasionally wagons or 4 doors, but not many.
>
> Face it. Some body styles are assumed to be more desirable and some less so, or worse. So the attrition rate varies with body style, despite what is deep down truly wanted by potential owners. Maybe it's just me, but I think that there are many well-styled 4-doors, and quite a few really ugly 2 door cars,
>
> So I feel that too many have the wrong idea that everybody else prefers 2 door cars, when there are people like me who prefer something else. Even my own mechanic, who has known me for decades, asked me why I restored THAT particular car (my '67 Monza 4 door). Once I explained, I think he understood.
>
> If anything, what worries me most is that there are some "year-only" items (like doors) that would be impossible to replace, should I have an accident. They only made about 6,000 '67 4 doors, and with a higher-than-normal attrition rate, I'd guestimate that there may only be about 300 or less of them around. So the odds of finding ANY (let alone not rusted away) usable parts would doom my car, because in such a case, what would normally be considered a "repairable wreck" would very likely become terminal. Now THAT is scary.
>
> Some things to think about.
>
> -Mark


Mark, you danced all around this topic, but I am still not quite sure just what you were trying to say.
What was your point? confused smiley

I do see one BIG HUGE GLARING ASSumption, though. hot smiley
That would be the idea that YOU know better than everyone else, just what the market desires.
The FACT is that you only know what YOU (and maybe? possibly? a few others you have talked to), want.
To say that "the attrition rate varies with body style, despite what is deep down truly wanted by potential owners." is a rather arrogant statement.
I would say that the market had dictated what is desirable, and just because there are a few outliers (such as yourself), does not indicate that the rest of us are wrong.
I believe that the market has established what is desirable, because those are what people "DEEP DOWN TRULY WANT"!
Maybe you should have said, . . . . ."So the attrition rate varies with body style, despite what is deep down truly wanted by ME, and a few other potential owners."
While you are correct, that when it come to other cars, there are some great looking four-doors, and there are some real ugly 2-doors, the Corvair is an exception.
Both the 4-door version, and the 2-door version are BOTH beautiful cars.
Corvair owners are unique people.
We love things that are different!
We are not afraid to go against the grains of so-called "Normalcy".
Corvair owners don't care if others do not go all Ga-Ga over what they are driving.
Therefore, when it comes to Corvairs, people are keeping and collecting what they want, and not what they simply "Think" the rest of the world thinks is good.
I think it is great that you decided to keep and resto-mod a '67 MoreDoor, but for all the talk about it, I either missed it, or you have only shared your "WHY" with your mechanic.
In all honesty, after reading some of your posts, I am confused as to whether you did it because you, .....
A. Really LOVE MoreDoors!
B. Wanted something no one else has.
C. Don't really have a preference, but felt it should be saved, because no one else is going to.
D. It just happened to be the only rust free body you could find.

Any of the above reasons, and many others are all great reasons, I just don't know what your Reason was.

As for the original question, I guess we need a clarification from the O.P.
Did they mean it literally?
As in, How many are RUNNING?
Or how many are operating on the road?
There are some out there that are running, but not registered for road use, therefore the two numbers will be different.
My person curiosity wants to know How many Corvairs STILL EXIST, running or not.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 10, 2021 08:10PM

It would be impossible to figure out. I have running cars that aren't tagged and tagged cars that aren't running. Here the tags are good for 5 years so if you tag one and it gets totalled the next day it stays on the books for 5 years.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: September 10, 2021 08:26PM

American Mel,

I said what I did because I have 1)talked to a lot of people who are indeed wanting a 4 door, but settled on a coupe simply because it was available, and 2)if you look at what sells on the new car market, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out why 2 door cars are losing out. Everybody simply wants 4 doors (and as many seats as possible). The 2 door coupes are in such a small demand that few are even offered, and often don't sell well when available. Based on those two points, I (should say that I) SUSPECT that there is an artificial desire to save coupes because of the impression that that is what everybody else wants, when (I suspect) there is actually a larger desire to have a 4 door, but a reluctance to admit it due to peer pressure. In other words, the demand for coupes is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As to why I restored a 4 door, obviously you have not been paying attention, or at least haven't read my article in the CC about my first Corvair. I loved that car, which was tragically lost in an accident at too young a time, and I have scoured the countryside ever since in the futile quest to find a replacement. That I explained in the article. It is why there is a '66 Monza horn button center emblem in the center of the steering wheel of my resto car. It is in loving memory of that first car. (Besides, it looks fantastic.)

As to the original question, there is really no real way of finding out. One could contact every state registrar and, depending upon state laws and the registrar's willingness, one could find out how many are registered for street use. But that would only be part of them. The others would only be at best a guess. Beyond that, there is no way of telling.

-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 11, 2021 06:46AM

Both of mine were running yesterday.
One of them is not running today.
They will both be running again tomorrow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 11, 2021 08:32AM

Quote
Steve C Goodman
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 07, 2009 10:40PM

Hello all: I recall seeing the question asked a while back. Instead of trying to find the thread I thought I would just offer the following: I found in Vol 6 No 2 of CORSA Quarterly (Nov 1976) a comment by Kai Hansen at the banquet in Philadelphia 1976 convention. He said that out of 1,710,018 Corvairs built 73,834 were still licensed. I have no idea how he derived at that figure. Their math stated that was 4%. NOTE: that was 'licensed', not undergoing restoration or being used for parts etc. as I read the article.

It was also reported that CORSA had over 6000 members and 59 chapter clubs in 1976. I hope this is of interest to someone out there in Corvair land!!

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo

So if I'm understanding that, his statistic had to do with which ones were licensed. 4% of the production total were licensed in 1976. I thought the total was over 1.8 million, but actually I think that includes cars produced in Canada, and so this statistic seems like it's just talking about the United States.

Given California's car culture and the fact that it's a much drier climate, I wouldn't be surprised if the number was actually higher today. That it was closer to the 100,000 estimate above than the 50,000.

But another thing tied to that estimate, is that in 1976 there were 6,000 members of CORSA.

There were 3500 in the year 2000. And the estimate is somewhere just above or just below 3,000 today.

So if the number of cars being restored, licensed, and driven correlates to the membership of CORSA... It could be that about half of the number from 1976 are still on the road--so like 37,000 cars.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: Eido ()
Date: September 11, 2021 10:15AM

Start a registry. We have one for the 64 Rampies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Corvairs are still running?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 11, 2021 11:40AM

There's a registry for almost every model. That doesn't take into account unregistered ones that are nevertheless on the road.

I think this is a statistic that may never be knowable. We can therefore all tell our friends whatever we like!

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.