home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Can anyone tell me if this is a factory Fitch Sprint?
Posted by: 65sprint ()
Date: October 07, 2009 07:35PM

Hi everybody,
I'm a newbie here, although I've owned (and still own) a 1965 Monza 110 convertible for 3 years (and love it!). Well my question is: I just bought a 1965 Fitch Sprint, but i wanted to know if anyone can tell me by looking at the three pictures if it's either 1) a "factory" Fitch sprint, or 2) a customer purchased car that was driven (or delivered new) to Fitch and modified or 3) a Chevy dealer modified Fitch sprint or 4) a regular Corsa that someone put mail order Fitch sprint parts on. It doesn't have the ventop but does have the 4 single carbs with 4 air cleaners as well as a sticker on the trunk lid that says that it's got 155hp.

Also, does anyone know how many actual "factory" Fitch sprints were made? i saw one on Ebay about 3 1/2 years ago that was an authentic factory Fitch because the title actually said "Fitch Sprint" on it.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can anyone tell me if this is a factory Fitch Sprint?
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 07, 2009 07:49PM

Here are some telltale Fitch optons:
Vent-top (which isn't on your car)
Individual air cleaners
Modified carburetor linkage (maybe 66+ only)
Steering dampener
Aeon rubber spring inside the coil springs
Lucas Flamethrower headlights (not on your car that I can tell)
Flash to pass (your car has a hole in the dash that might have been for it)
Headlight stone guards
Distintive striping.
Hands wheels (not on your car)

My GUESS is that your's is not a factory car but Fitch would do just about anything to the car and call it a Sprint. Rich Loving (RAL1963 on this list) is our resident Fitch expert.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: October 07, 2009 08:34PM

>>>>>as well as a sticker on the trunk lid that says that it's got 155hp.<<<

Please post close-up pic of 155 hp sticker. I have never seen or heard of one.

>>>Also, does anyone know how many actual "factory" Fitch sprints were made? i saw one on Ebay about 3 1/2 years ago that was an authentic factory Fitch because the title actually said "Fitch Sprint" on it.<<<

There is no such thing as a factory Sprint and they were never titled as anything but a Corvair.

No way to tell how many were made either. Some people merely bought the emblems thru the mail for a dollar each and stuck them on themself.

If one on ebay was somehow titled as a Fitch Sprint it was likey a a salvage type title for a car with a lost title or ??????.

Chrome air cleaners hardly make it distictive as far as being a Sprint because even JC whitney sold air cleaners.

If you really need to know if your car was ever in Fitch's shop the only way to tell will be with a paper trail.

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza
Juneau. Alaska

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 08:37PM by "UNSAFE".

Attachments:

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: October 07, 2009 09:30PM

If you're needing a real Fitch ventop, I have one in my excess inventory.

bob thomas
68 Monza

Date: October 08, 2009 02:31PM

Hi Everybody,
I was researching the Fitch Sprints and found this post by another corvair owner posted in 2004:

The Fitch Corvairs are collectable mainly to the Corvair die hards. One thing that increases there value is if the title says Fitch Corvair on it, because that means the car came from Fitch's shop and is not a Corvair that someone either brought to his shop and had pieces added or one that just had a few mail ordered bits that were added by the owner.

I've seen one that had a gold plate on the dash that said
"Fitch Corvair made for XXXX" XXXX being the guys name who ordered it from Fitch.

Date: October 08, 2009 02:46PM

>>>>The Fitch Corvairs are collectable mainly to the Corvair die hards. One thing that increases there value is if the title says Fitch Corvair on it, because that means the car came from Fitch's shop and is not a Corvair that someone either brought to his shop and had pieces added or one that just had a few mail ordered bits that were added by the owner.<<<<

That info is incorrect -- Sorry !

>>>>>I've seen one that had a gold plate on the dash that said
"Fitch Corvair made for XXXX" XXXX being the guys name who ordered it from Fitch.<<<<

Anyone can have a gold dash plaque made up. Our local trophy shop will put whatever I want on a plaque.

Here's a few pics of one of the most documented late model Sprints that I know of.

The car got the full sprint treatment at the Fitch shop within two weeks of being delivered. Tons and tons of receipts and documents.

The title said Corvair . Someone would have to pull some strings to get the title to read anything otherwise.

There were also no plaques marketed by Fitch. If you wanted a plaque he would likely send a shop boy somewhere to get you one. He'd likely do anything you wanted for a buck. This was a small 3 bay garage and nothing like a factory.

I'd still like to see a closeup of the 155 hp decal- I'm guessing it's off some other type of car and not a Fitch item.

Not trying to be hard on you - just giving you the facts.

Rick Loving may step in and add some info.

My old Sprint is now owned by the CORSA prez.

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza
Juneau. Alaska

Attachments:

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: October 08, 2009 03:02PM

Decals can also easily be made. Titles must read as the manufacturer Chevrolet,Model Corvair or they might not even have Corvair on it. I don't Know any aftermarket supplier would want to accept
full product liability of the entire car.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: October 08, 2009 04:15PM

Can you provide the link for the post you quote?

I find it curious that a post like that would not be corrected by someone.

The more "accurate" statement "should" read...

The Fitch Corvairs are collectable mainly to the Corvair die hards. One thing that increases there value is if the ORIGINAL SALES PAPERWORK FOR THE ACCESSORY CONVERSION FROM JOHN FITCH's SHOP IS INCLUDED, because that means the car came from Fitch's shop and is not a Corvair that someone either brought to his shop and had pieces added or one that just had a few mail ordered bits that were added by the owner.

No Corvair was ever "correctly" titled as a Fitch Sprint. The Sprint package was an accessory package offered by John Fitch for the Chevrolet Corvair. It was not a make, model, or trim line. John Fitch did not sell re-made cars, he just ran a repair and sales shop.

I have nearly every peice of literature and original sales brouchures. At this time I have never seen the 155hp decal you are referring too.

John did advertise that he brought the factory 140 hp motor to 155hp with his mod's, but this was as advertised in his brouchures and magazine ads.

Please post pictures of the engine and of the decal...and any other Sprint items that are on the car.

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Rides
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Date: October 08, 2009 06:31PM

Well I'm getting a bad vibe from you Corvair guys, you sure aren't friendly like the members of the national Saleen club that I'm a member of. I'll do some research of my own and am restoring it just as is, paperwork, dash badge and all. Thanks for all your input, it will be in shows next summer.

--Mike

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: October 08, 2009 06:49PM

I didn't see any unfriendly replies, just good information. When I ordered my new Corvair back in the '60s, I considered having it "Fitched". You never could buy a new car from Fitch, but you could order one and have it dropped shipped from the factory. It was titled to you as a Chevrolet and Fitch never took ownership. You could also buy the Fitch stuff as individual pieces and I took that route instead of taking/sending the car to him for modification.

Hopefully this doesn't label me as "unfriendly", but all 140hp cars had four carbs from the factory.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 08, 2009 06:57PM

It's hard to beat a Red/Red Corsa (top of the line in '65). I had a 66 Corsa/Sprint way back in 1970. Like yours, mine was red with black rear cove. It also had black-out headlight bezels (except for the 1/2" perimeter which was bright aluminum). My car also had black paint under the rocker panel moldings and on the lower 1/3 of the rear fenders. I wonder how many late Fitch cars got the black-out paint treatment?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: October 08, 2009 07:04PM

You're trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear. These guys are just giving you the real facts. If you bought into a slightly exagerated sales pitch, you should have ask these guys first.
That extra set of lights on the back should have been enough to tell you that one of the previous owners shopped at Kmart or JCWhitney and liked to add crap.

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: October 08, 2009 07:08PM

Richard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're trying to make a silk purse from a sows
> ear. These guys are just giving you the real
> facts. If you bought into a slightly exagerated
> sales pitch, you should have ask these guys
> first.
> That extra set of lights on the back should have
> been enough to tell you that one of the previous
> owners shopped at Kmart or JCWhitney and liked to
> add crap.

Exactly.

Don't get upset about the truth. The people here know Corvairs. They are not trying to misslead you. I would say someone else outside of here is misleading you. I wish you the best in which ever way you go with the car. All I ask is that you don't advertise it as a Fitch if it isn't.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: October 08, 2009 07:17PM

Doesn't look to me that he had any set paint scheme. These almost look like they were shown to give you an idea of the cost and you could go from there.

Attachments:

Posted by: Thekingoflit ()
Date: October 08, 2009 07:20PM

Unfriendly....wow I thought this was A VERY informative thread

Date: October 08, 2009 07:22PM

I think I'll get a 'stang and slap some Saleen stickers on it and ask on the Saleen forum how real it is because someone told me it was???? GGG!!!!!

It's all good 65Sprint. Lots of good info. here. smiling smiley

Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net

Note From Moderator
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 08, 2009 08:02PM

Shame on you guys for being so BLUNT... cold hearted..... harsh....

in dealing with this person...

No wonder no one ever buys a Corvair now!!!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 08, 2009 08:13PM

65 Sprint: A customer at my shop owned a 65 Corsa coupe with the Fitch wood wheel and center and a 'sprint' emblem on the rear lid. He also bought the small air cleaners and the wedge to move the spare tire up a bit as well as the small tip dual exhaust. He removed the exhaust when it broke loose and replaced with the stock dual exhaust system, the other pieces were still on the car when he moved away. This is the typical history of a Fitch Sprint.

On the other hand, there is a 1962 Sprint that the history is so complete, the owner even has the train ticket purchased to ride back to Falls Village to collect the car in 1962 from the Fitch works. The 62 was drop shipped to Conn for the conversion. The title says CORVAIR however, nothing mentions Sprint.

None of these replies have been harsh on you as I see it, only all of us trying to help you sort out what kind of car you are working on. Numerous of the posters including myself have owned Sprint models, we are only trying to help.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Re: Note From Moderator
Date: October 08, 2009 08:22PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shame on you guys for being so BLUNT... cold
> hearted..... harsh....
>
> in dealing with this person...
>
> No wonder no one ever buys a Corvair now!!!
>
> GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
> GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
> G

You hadn't posted, we all tried to make up for you! GGG

65sprint, it looks like you have a great project car no matter a fitch or not. Hang around and keep us updated on the car. smiling smiley

Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net

Date: October 08, 2009 08:40PM

Maybe it's a Bob Baily Sprint ??

This may hurt but a Sprint is just a Corvair with a few add on accessories !

Ronnie - --- you gave me an idea.

I'm gonna have the only Saleen Corvette in the world and I'm gonna get rich when I sell it on Ebay.

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza
Juneau. Alaska

Attachments:

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.