Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Cushenberry's 1964 Corvair-Powered Silhouette II
Posted by: ccpinc ()
Date: September 24, 2009 07:00PM

I've been involved with the restoration of the well-known custom car builder Bill Cushenberry's all-aluminum, bubble top Corvair-powered Silhouette II custom car since 2007. It is quite an exciting project and the car itself is really cool. Designed and started in 1964 but never finished, the car was located after three decades and the project to perform a period restroation began. Originally it was equipped with a 1961 Powerglide drivetrain. We built a custom 140 HP engine with lots of chrome and gold powdercoated carburetors. We also finished a completely rebuilt front suspension and rear suspension with lots of chrome and powdercoating as well. In the meantime, the car has vanished from the shop where the body work was being done. Barry Gremillion, the fellow who has financed the entire project has been left with only the components we rebuilt and the drivetrain we did. The car has been stolen. I'm alerting the Corvair community here on the Corvair Center in hopes that someone out there may hear or see something that can help Barry get his car back. There is reason to believe the car may be in Kansas but it could be anywhere. I'm including a YouTube link that will show everyone what this is all about.[www.youtube.com]

Jeff Williams

CALIFORNIA CORVAIR PARTS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cushenberry's 1964 Corvair-Powered Silhouette II
Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: September 24, 2009 07:30PM

Good luck, it's probably on it's way overseas.

Posted by: slickcar ()
Date: September 24, 2009 08:17PM

oh man that sucks, if it finds it way to Utah I'll let you knowspinning smiley sticking its tongue out but i doubt it!eye rolling smiley

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 24, 2009 11:31PM

Sounds just like the Texas Airplane Factories build of 5 ME-262s, needed$$$ and ended up getting screwed..

Here's another vidoeo.... Jeff, any more?

note: Good to see Gene Winfield is still kicking..

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: September 25, 2009 12:47AM

I'd check with the Mattel toy company. While you're at it, look around for the original Silhouette that was stolen in 1983. After all, Mattel did make a Hot Wheels model of the Silhouette (I had a green one). ;-}

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: RAV_AIR ()
Date: September 25, 2009 01:19AM

hmm.

You say He's from Riley Kansas? Not far from me.

Has every police and investigation man on earth been notified? I'd call people until I physically couldn't talk anymore.

"So where do they put the engines in these things?"
"They put em where they belong....in the rear."
No More Vair :-(
Topeka, KS

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: September 25, 2009 01:35AM

There are usually three sides to every story.

Do a search on this Barry Gremillion individual. He is a piece of work in his own right.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 25, 2009 01:41AM

Richard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are usually three sides to every story.
>
> Do a search on this Barry Gremillion individual.
> He is a piece of work in his own right.
=====================================================

AHH, the plot Thickens.. ggg

Looks like Jeff got paid by Barry though..

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: September 25, 2009 02:46AM

One more pice of info.
I am pretty sure that is the same Curt Hamilton, whose shop is on Stagg St. in Van Nuy's. I have been in his shop, but it has been many, many years. A friend of mine had a business across the street from him at the time and they were friendly as they were both gearheads.
Hamilton has been in that same location since the late 60s so why would this Barry Gremillion be paying the rent as he claimed?

Posted by: tkalp ()
Date: September 25, 2009 03:36AM

Hmmm vairy interesting.

Bill Cushenberry got his start Customizing in Wichita, KS before he moved out to California. Photos of this car showed up a couple of years ago in coverage of an event at the Starbird Hall of fame musueum. I also have vague memories of it being in an e-bay auction and it going for much more than I could pay. Don't think the connection to Cushenberry had been made at that time.

tkalp
wichita, ks

Posted by: tkalp ()
Date: September 25, 2009 03:58AM

Photos from the 2003 event at the Starbird Hall of fame museum

If these links don't work I will add the photos as attachments.

tkalp
wichita, ks

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: September 26, 2009 04:36AM

I think I bid on this a few years ago on ebay the guy was looking for $20,000 but did not have the bubble..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.