Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Paint overspray removal from plastic tailight lense
Posted by: MEL ()
Date: March 05, 2006 04:55PM

Any suggessions how to safely remove paint overspray from a plastic tailight lense? the paint has been on for years ! Thanks MEL

Options: ReplyQuote
Paint overspray removal from plastic tailight lense
Posted by: Steve O ()
Date: March 05, 2006 05:19PM

Eastwood (http://www.eastwoodco.com) detailing clay for one. Possibly some very fine steel wool, though you may then be left with scratch marks that plastic polish won't even remove.

Re: Paint overspray removal from plastic tailight lense
Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: March 05, 2006 05:22PM

Don't use the steel wool.... Don't ask how I know.... 0000 btw..

A good rubbing compound, something along the line of the 3M Perfect it II or III line. Again, nothing too aggressive. Oh yea, don't forget the elbow greese. winking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 05, 2006 05:44PM

An old modelers trick. Soak it in brake fluid. No harm to the plastic and the paint will come off in as little as a few minutes to 24 hours time. The brake fluid will rinse right off with tap water.

Good luck!

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: March 05, 2006 07:04PM

I second the rubbing compound and elbow grease. As a bonus it will have those lenses looking good as new.

The brake fluid idea sounds good too. I would still probably try some rubbing compound afterwards.

1966 Corsa W/327
1961 Lakewood
An acre of parts

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: March 05, 2006 08:01PM

Meguiars PlastX worked great on cleaning the plastic headlight covers on my Miata.

[www.meguiars.com]

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Warner Robins, GA (15 miles south of Macon)

Date: March 05, 2006 09:50PM

I have the lense floating in a pool of brake fluid, I'll let you know what happens???, MEL

Posted by: J.O. ()
Date: March 05, 2006 11:55PM

Novas #2 plastic polish will remove the paint and clean up the plastic.

Date: March 06, 2006 10:19PM

Got home from work today and rushed out to garage to check my lense, washed it off with soap and water and YIKES!!!!!!!! were did all the crazing come from????And the overspray paint still hanging on!!!! WARNING I guess old plastic and brake fluid don't mix, anybody got two 1960 Monza backup light lenses? I'm in the market, MEL

Date: March 06, 2006 10:30PM

How do I attach pictures?

Posted by: BillPappy ()
Date: March 07, 2006 12:38AM

I had a bad feeling about the brake fluid thing. But I was not sure enuff to say anything. I bet you have/had primer on them lenses? Detailing clay gets it done with a littel elbow grease.

Hit the Attach button at the bottem of page. Then go browsing for your picture.

BillPappy

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: March 07, 2006 01:09AM

>>>>I had a bad feeling about the brake fluid thing. But I was not sure enuff to say anything <<<<,

Yeah, me too !

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza
Juneau. Alaska

Date: March 07, 2006 01:20AM

There is no attach button on my page?????

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 07, 2006 01:21AM

Well Mel,

Sorry to hear about that but on models it never hurt a thing. Some paint would need a lot of brushing but that was rare. Just for the heck of it I'll soak one of my old '65 lenses in the stuff to see what happens. My only defense is that I never had any problem using with styrene.

There seems to be many on ebay right now. Here's one auction for '60 taillights

[cgi.ebay.com]

Again, I'm sorry that didn't work out for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2006 01:26AM by Recycled Roadkill.

How to attach a picture??
Date: March 07, 2006 02:37AM

Mel - Sorry to hear about the lenses...

To attach a picture to a post, you must use the "attach" button. If you don't have an "attach" button on your posting screen, then that tells me that you are not a registered user and are thus not "logging in" to these Forums. Let me assure you that it is much easier to be a registered user and log in each time than to post as a non-registered user under the new spam protection procedures.

When you choose a picture to post, make sure the picture takes no more than 300kb of memory and is "sized" appropriately. 640x480 resolution for your pic is a good place to start. In any case, even if the picture is under 300kb, don't make it larger than 4"x6" in general or most people won't be able to view the pic as you intended the pic to be viewed.

Date: March 07, 2006 03:31AM

Pics are 100kb limit since the improvement !

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza
Juneau. Alaska

picture sizes
Date: March 07, 2006 04:26AM

Pics are 100kb limit since the improvement !

Kevin - thanks for the update!! I would have noticed if I had clicked the "attach" button before trying to help Mel.

On another subject, have you gotten news from Paul? I've been reading reports this week about record snowfall in Germany...causing havok to air and ground traffic.

Posted by: ubuck ()
Date: March 07, 2006 02:54PM

Here's a couple of modeler's tricks I picked up restoring old Aurora Thunder Jet slot cars:

For paint removal, soak in straight PineSol overnight. Removed alot of old oil based paints that way without damaging the plastic. Use a toothbrush to scrub. Soak again as necessary. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES and GLOVES! PineSol WILL burn if you get it in your eyes! Ask me how I know~

For chrome removal on plastic (like knobs and such), use Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Same thing-soak overnight and scrub.

Brian
63 Monza Convertibile Sprint Clone
64 Monza Coupe Sprint Clone
65 Monza Convertible
66 Corsa Convertible
69 Grand Prix Model J
2004 SSR

South Holland, IL

Corsa/CCE

"Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be." Ashleigh Brilliant

Date: March 07, 2006 05:16PM

>>>On another subject, have you gotten news from Paul? I've been reading reports this week about record snowfall in Germany...causing havok to air and ground traffic.<<<<

I think Paul is already back in the states ? and enroute. He will be here in juneau on the 20th. Here's what he wrote (edited). I'll be sure to get some pics with him. I hope the roads are cleared up by then, it snowed last night.

Kevin

I am shutting off the computer now, so I don't know when or if I will have access before landing in Juneau Alaska. We get on the ferry in Washington on 17 March 06, and arrive in Anchorage on 23 March. We will stay overnight in Juneau on 20 March. My cell phone number is (xxx) xxx-xxxx. It is Verizon, and I don't know if it will work in Alaska. I hope so, since Diane bought it to replace our Sprint phones which did not work at all in Anchorage (only two places). I hope to see you in Juneau, and your beautiful Corvair. By the way, you will laugh at my Corvair builder's newest hard luck story.
If you get a chance, call before 17 March, when I know I still have good reception. That way I will have your number, in case I have cell phone problems in AK.

Thanks for everything

Paul

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza
Juneau. Alaska

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.