home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 4 of 12
Re: Monza SS Clone smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: Mel Francis ()
Date: October 03, 2011 08:35PM

Thanks Brock,

This car is somewhat of a tribute to the design work of Larry Shinoda and the vision of Bill Mitchell. It's rumored that Mitchell wanted to put the Monza SS into production. And if he had gotten his way, we would have probably seen a Corvair SS sports car based on production suspension components and it would have been almost as wide as a regular Corvair. This design is inspired by the original SS, but its slightly larger size makes it more comparable to a mid-year Corvette. Larry's original body lines are smoother than the way the '68 Corvette actually turned out, with the extra flares around the wheels. This body has always seemed cleaner, not needing flares! I have a friend who has a nice '66 Roadster and I'll see if he can bring it by for some interesting side-by-side pics. This windshield really completes the smoothness of the design and is from an Opel GT, but with a flush fit around the perimeter. It's no accident that a GT windshield would suit this car, since the same design team that handled the Monza SS pre-production design study, were sent to Germany to assist in the development of the new Opel sports car. This was the production windshield that the team designed, so I felt it was all still in the family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 08:39PM by Mel Francis.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 03, 2011 08:51PM

Here's an interesting shot, which shows how easily you can do deep work on the car, just by removing the rear clip, which is attached to the frame with easy-access bolts and wiring plugs. The front clip removes as easily, for full access to the front suspension. All the body panels are painted off the chassis.

Attachments:
Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: October 03, 2011 09:35PM

Keep the photos coming Mel, looks great!

Rocco

Date: October 04, 2011 11:11AM

Well, for real shock value, here's the '65 Monza Convertible that we began with. Fairly well 'singed' on the top and the windshield was burn-damaged, but it still ran, and came with a good, free title, so I hauled it home, just like we all have. My wife wondered what was the point?, but I just got it out of sight under a tarp, long enough to recall my youthful Monza SS aspirations and started whittling the body panels with a sawzall, eliminating everything that was in the way of the future SS body contours.

Attachments:
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: October 04, 2011 11:15AM

Again – Great job! smileys with beer
Fantastic project and car!!!!! thumbs up

Posted by: SSpeed66 ()
Date: October 04, 2011 02:29PM

Mel, your SS has to be the coolest Corvair based build ever !!thumbs up
Even more so that there are kit car plans in the works !!!cool smiley

Al Macaulay - Okanagan Valley, BC
Western Canada Corsa

Link to my Corsa build- [corvaircenter.com]
Link to my Cobra boat Project- [www.sidewinder-boats.com]

66 Corsa 140 HT - 402BBC/Turbo 425, 66 CDN Corsa 'Vert 140, 79 Cobra 16SS/Merc 1500, 69 Triumph Trident Chopper, 67 BSA Lightning Custom
Cobra Custom Metal Design/ God Bless Canada

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: October 04, 2011 02:47PM

Someone might have already aksed it and I missed it.

Does the donor car have to be a convertible?

I believe the floor pans and such were made stiffer on convertibles.

But can one use a coupe and make it stiffer to work for this future kit?

Date: October 04, 2011 03:58PM

The amount of cutting and welding that we went through on this prototype is the type of fabrication that usually stalls out most kit car builds and you find the jumbled remains for sale 15 years later. Cutting up Corvairs is not the way to build these cars. Only the sills are stronger on convertibles and the floors are just as prone to rust as the coupes, perhaps even more, with leaks coming from the rear of the top. The floor in this car is 2" lower than the original floor was, to get the driver's height where it needs to be.

The next cars will be made with a full spaceframe only and anyone who buys the kit will only have to bolt on parts; no cutting or welding will be necessary. The spaceframes will all have their own sequence-number plates, just like a Yenko Stinger does.

Date: October 04, 2011 04:05PM

Time to SStart my SSavingSS account.
I have to say, Mel, I like your modern version better than the original in several ways.
Since I'm a tall guy, I like the larger size, too!!

Sure be nice to see a video or three....

Oh, a question based on another ongoing thread - What do you have for a fire suppression system??

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 04:08PM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Posted by: dan giannotti ()
Date: October 04, 2011 06:00PM

In all my years being involved with Corvairs have I ever seen a
more impressive accomplishment creating the most awesome Corvair
Project ever seen within our Ranks..

Mel and Dick deserve a special Award...

Posted by: john.weissjr ()
Date: October 04, 2011 06:23PM

Corvair? Corvette? Opel GT? to me it lost the appeal of the flat wide look! IMO!!! I have owned an Opel (GT German build) very fast for a 4 banger! Looks like this vair SS thingy! You know sometimes I believe in just leaving well enough alone! The one thing about all Corvairs EM's LM's that you really don't have to ask what kind of car it is after all!

Question; has anyone went with a wider vair design? I would like to see one maybe 2 to 4 inches wider with a side pipe design or the exhaust coming out either before or after the rear wheel well.

John
1966 110/500 Sedan
1980 Corvette

Date: October 04, 2011 07:53PM

Here's a nice side view taken outside the GM Heritage Center, just after the Detroit Homecoming tour of the facility. I finally got to see the original SS, since it had been out on loan during the 2007 Detroit Convention, my last visit there. As we were leaving, I parked our car up on the display circle for just a moment, and James Rice snapped the shot.

Attachments:
Posted by: SSpeed66 ()
Date: October 05, 2011 01:11AM

That last pic is (almost) like pure sex ! I REALLY dig it !!eye popping smiley

Al Macaulay - Okanagan Valley, BC
Western Canada Corsa

Link to my Corsa build- [corvaircenter.com]
Link to my Cobra boat Project- [www.sidewinder-boats.com]

66 Corsa 140 HT - 402BBC/Turbo 425, 66 CDN Corsa 'Vert 140, 79 Cobra 16SS/Merc 1500, 69 Triumph Trident Chopper, 67 BSA Lightning Custom
Cobra Custom Metal Design/ God Bless Canada

Posted by: 52bagman ()
Date: October 05, 2011 04:05AM

BAD ASS SS!!!!!!!

Sam C. Saunders,Pt. Pleasant WV
68 500 cp 95 pg ash gold
66 Monza cp 110 4spd black
68 500 cp 95 3spd blue "DAIRY QUEEN CAR"

1 link2 linkPhotobucket

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: October 05, 2011 12:10PM

Finally got my Communique this morning and the cover shot of Mel's SS is awesome.Had to wipe drool off the cover several times.This guys skill and talent blows me away.Truly fantastic job Mel!!

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: October 05, 2011 01:37PM

Although the pictures look great, you really need to see this car up close. I'd say the body is flawless. Might go visit Mel this weekend.

Rocco

Date: October 05, 2011 05:12PM

Here's a shot taken while we were relocating the oil cooler from over the transaxle to up front in the interior, The doors are easily removable, so we just lifted them off the car. The lower view is with the cooler now mounted where it can do the most good. We ran the car up on the stands and as soon as the oil-thermostat opened, a fair amount of heat filled the footwell area. We can transition to a regular squirrel cage blower, but this one will do for now. When the warm weather returns, we will vent the heated air out some screened louvers in the floor. Air intake will be at the base of the windshield, with the regular cowl vents.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 05, 2011 05:15PM

This will be an interesting item to report on..

"JIM" has one..but never drives the car!! gg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 05, 2011 05:30PM

"JIM" has an oil-heated car, but doesn't drive it?

Well, I'll be using this heater a fair amount in the next month or so, since I've already been driving it in the evenings, with cold hands and wearing a heavy jacket to keep warm, here in Wisconsin.

Date: October 05, 2011 06:40PM

Mel,
That would be much more effective if it was mounted on the outside of a bulkhead perhaps in a cowl vent area and then the fan blows or pulls the air inside the cabin. It's very inefficient with the fan on the cooler and open sides. The air won't flow effectively as there is no plenum.
Better than nothing, but it could be a nice improvement with some more work, both for heating the cabin and cooling the engine.

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Current Page: 4 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.