Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2 door hardtop EM?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 12, 2019 01:28PM

Date: 08/12/2019 12:01PM

Hello everyone. I'm Ted Osborne. I have the 64 hardtop that was done in 2009. Currently, I'm installing disc brakes all around and electric rack and pinion to quicken the steering and make parking at the mall a bit easier. If you are one of those that think the brakes on a Corvair are just fine, please keep you comments to yourself. I hauled 4 fat people down a long hill and I know that they aren't. I'm fixing my car up to operate like a modern car but with the styling of a 64. So far I've got a hardtop with power windows and cruise control and LM suspension. Someday I'll have AC because the last time I drove to Tucson in the summertime my wife thought she was going to die. A fresh engine rebuild with fuel injection is also high on my list. Hopefully this fall. I have pictures on this topic. If you would like to see more, Ted Osborne's 1964 hardtop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: August 13, 2019 03:36PM

That is such a good looking car! Are there details somewhere that show how it was done?

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 13, 2019 05:32PM

The first EM Corvair 2 door hardtop was actually conceived by GM as early as October of 1957, according to these pictures that I happen to have. I have almost 250 styling studio pictures dated from between 1957 and 1960 that show a lot of the development work of the variations of Corvair, including the FC's and Pontiac and Oldsmobile versions. I don't think any of them have seen the light of day for the last 60 years.

-Mark

Attachments:

Date: August 13, 2019 05:34PM

Sorry for the orientation on end. Am having trouble with my programs.

-Mark

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: August 13, 2019 08:37PM

Here's a couple more photos (Oct. 2012):

Chet in Ramona

Attachments:

Date: August 13, 2019 10:56PM

Chet, always felt the EM just screamed for a 2 door hardtop. Glad you got one, and I was right. You got a really sharp car there. Some nice custom details, also, make it a really attractive ride!

My tastes run more to the stock side, so had it been me, I would have been satisfied to just do the hardtop conversion, and keep the rest stock. But that's just me.

-Mark

Date: August 13, 2019 11:04PM

Mark! That's Tom Osbornes'! Pictures Chet took at the Toss!

Here's a picture of the '60, 2nd post in this topic...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: August 14, 2019 05:18AM

Deleting the B pillar must drastically effect strength of Corvair body sad smiley I like the B pillar smiling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Date: August 14, 2019 05:56AM

Matt, those pictures are actual scans of genuine GM Styling Studio pictures, the authentic, documented, real deal. I have the originals in my hands. Want me to scan some more of them? (I'll try to get my stupid machine to do a better job of it.)

Mel, nothing a little under-the-sheet-metal bracing wouldn't cure. Besides, you don't think the General would release a car that was not structurally unsound, now would you? Well, except for the second generation "U" van, that is. eye rolling smiley

-Mark

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 14, 2019 07:57AM

I have driven this car, it has LM suspension, its the best driving EM I have ever driven, I cranked it into turns and it handles excellent.smoking smiley

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: August 14, 2019 10:41AM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matt, those pictures are actual scans of genuine GM Styling Studio pictures,

========================================

Try scanning in COLOR! and only 200 pixels

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: osborneslo ()
Date: August 20, 2019 09:13AM

There was a post somewhere. I think it was a reprint of the article in the March issue of the Corsa magazine of 2009 or 2010.

Date: August 21, 2019 06:30AM

The pictures I have are originals that were taken in the Styling Studio of their mock-up car. It has the hardtop treatment on one side, and the sedan treatment on the other side, a frequently used method in that department to display two variations of the same car. Some of the pictures may have been published, but I doubt that all of them have. They were, after all, intended to be seen in-house only.

Regardless, the important thing about this is that GM actually considered making the EM 2 door as a hardtop, but chose, for whatever reason, to go with making it as a 2 door sedan.

It was only when they got to designing the (LM) second series that they decided to take the Corvair upscale by making all models as hardtops.

-Mark

Posted by: osborneslo ()
Date: August 21, 2019 02:47PM

I will try to add some stuff about the suspension swap and the roof mod in the next week or so.

Date: August 21, 2019 04:07PM

osborneslo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a post somewhere. I think it was a reprint of the article in the March issue of the Corsa magazine of 2009 or 2010.

The article on the intro of the coupe edition of the Corvair was covered in the January 2010 Communique by Dave Newell.

Another fabulous history lesson with GM insider info and photos, as usual!!

CORSA members have access to our publications Archive which includes all the past issues of the CORSA Communique online. www.corvair.org

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.