Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: is a "maaco presidential" paint job worth the money?
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: April 15, 2009 11:55AM

if i remove chrome/bumpers, tape up all i can before i bring it to them...ya'll recommend going with the bottom line paint job or paying extra for the urethane 2 stage paint job?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: April 15, 2009 12:00PM

I have seen both good and bad, from the same place. Depends on who is working there at the time? I've seen cars with a real dry/orange peel finish. Cars with paint over all moldings, trim, etc... Even saw a 65 Mustang that got chips in the paint from the time it got to us to reasemble it. I've also seen some pretty decent paint jobs come out of there. Hit or miss up here. sad smiley Prep work (sanding) and taping seem to be the two major downfalls.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: kenFL ()
Date: April 15, 2009 12:33PM

I suggest asking them what kind of 2 stage paint job they are talking. Ask what the mix ratio is. The highest quality clear coats will be a 2:1 or 3:1 mix (two parts cleat to one part hardener) and will not require anymore than about 10 or 20 % reducer and I would highly doubt that they would be using this type of clear coat since it is very expensive.

Most of these higher dollar clear coats have a very good amount of UV protection engineered into them and that is what will separate a clear coat paint job that looks great out of the booth and one the still looks great years later. Remember, only the paint stays on your car-- the reducer evaporates out. The more reducer used the less likelihood of a good amount of material (paint) is applied to your car when it is done and dried or cured.

It would be my guess that they will be using an 8:1 type clear. A 4:1 mix ratio on the clear coat would be better. Don't worry about the base color too much. Most base coat out there is all decent enough stuff. The clear coat is the most critical as it seals the color and pigments away from the effects of the environment (acid rain, resulting oxidation and "chalkiness" and most importantly UV degradation). With that said, I would think you may want to go with the "2 stage paint job" provided it is a base coat/clear coat type 2 stage paint job and not some fancy marketing lingo that indeed does not even mean you are getting a base coat and a clear coat.

Someone else here suggested going with a non metallic color and I would agree with that. Metallic colors can be tricky to spray. Not to say the guy at Macco can't do it but it's just a little bit more tricky to get a really nice layout of the metallic if you are going with the "single stage paint job". You may have seen some metallic color paint jobs that have a "stripe-y" look to them where the metallic did not lay out evenly. This can happen with a base coat clear coat job too but it is usually more prevalent in a single stage job.

Also if you choose not to go with the clear coat, the pigments will be left exposed. Metallic is just that, metal. This "metal" along with the unstable pigments that make up all paints will be directly exposed to the elements. A metallic color seldom looks as good for as long as a solid non-metallic color after some time in the natural elements including the detergents in the car wash soap you use.

Hope this helps, and good luck with it!smileys with beer

Date: April 15, 2009 12:49PM

i plan on going back with the factory color of my car, a tan/beige color..."sierrra fawn" is the GM name for it...if there's metallic in it i can't see it, looking at the door jams and under hood.

Posted by: keitho64 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 01:06PM

rnch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if i remove chrome/bumpers, tape up all i can
> before i bring it to them...ya'll recommend going
> with the bottom line paint job or paying extra for
> the urethane 2 stage paint job?

I went with the urethane 2 stage and I am very happy with the outcome.

Keith
64 Monza Convert 110 4-speed
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"
05 GTO 6-speed (Gotta have a V8)

Date: April 15, 2009 01:14PM

i've been checking out maaco's website....their "supreme" option is "single stage polyurehtane with sealer", their "signature" option is "base coat clear coat urethane".

which one is the "2 stage" paint job ya'll mention?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2009 01:20PM by rnch.

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 02:37PM

I have used Maaco on a 70 Monte Carlo and a 79 Olds.Maaco wont warrant the work if you do any body work first. But I did the prep both times and they turned out great. I got the presidential job on sale. I think they are ok if you prep it yourself first.IMHO.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Date: April 15, 2009 05:17PM

i spoke to the local maaco a few minutes ago; nothing was said about no warranty if i did the prep work myself.

Posted by: Darren ()
Date: April 15, 2009 07:37PM

My maaco paint job was done with 1 stage I think. It has an 'intragrated clear coat' what ever that means.

Darren
66 Monza SS Convertible
140HP 4 Speed
Colorado Springs, CO
[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: rick4130 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 08:26PM

Darren, that means they mix the clear right into the color.

I'd have my car done the same way all over again. Best part was it was done at a reputable Maaco in about a day and a half!

You hear horror stories about cars and body shops...especially the old cars!

Rick MacDonald
'63 700 Sedan

rick4130@yahoo.com

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 08:30PM

I have had Maaco do a number of vairs for me over the last 20 years.I always did all the prep and sanding myself.I also removed everything i could before i brought them the car.The less they have to tape off the better.I usually bought the cheaper paint job unless they had the better one on sale.I have been quite pleased with their work considering what a "real" paint job costs from a professional.

Posted by: timinbovey ()
Date: April 15, 2009 10:37PM

It's worth the money 'cause it ain't much money. I had the '64 changed from white to yellow, at Maaco on the way home from buying it. There's a couple before and after shots at:
[edselmotors.com]
Along with the rest of the story.
As I recall I removed a bit of trim here and there because for the cheapo price they remove nothing, but they do tape it and I knew the car had the wrong front trim pieces and the right '64 trim would look silly with the outline of the 62 trim on the car! I was hoping for the $200 job but had to go to $400 as they told me the color change would require a primer coat first. I had them fix NONE of the rust, dents, etc just told 'em "make it yellow" and they did. the rust is pretty bad now 3 years later and I had to sign something that said no guarantee on rust since I didn't want any body work done. Works fine for me.

Tim in Bovey

===
That's not a hula dancer...it's a G-force indicator
===
'64 Monza "Faux Spyder" 110 4 speed.
The "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
[www.edselmotors.com]
===

Posted by: jrdriver8 ()
Date: April 16, 2009 01:06AM

Guys- If you prep the car right, and remove all the trim even the cheapie job will be good. Paint the jambs and under the hod and trunbk yourself, you will save a lot and you can do a nice job even with a rattle can if you take your time and ensure the surface is properly prepared. I see some many cars that are over restored and they look it. Remember, the Corvair was an economy car. The paint was never good to begin with. Like others said here, I would rather have a car with a decent paint job than one that sat in a heated garage and was never driven. Kind of like seat covers......cover up the seat so the next owner will have a nice seat to enjoy. It all depends on how much you want to invest. Right now, there are few Corvairs out there that are worth more the 12K, so be careful on spending too much money on the car. Keep it clean, shiny and enjoy it.

Posted by: AREA 51 ()
Date: April 16, 2009 01:31AM

actually you should walk around the lot and look at some of their work, there has to be at least one or 2 cars that have paint work done to it.

if there isn't RUN!

mims, fl.

Posted by: Leon Renaud ()
Date: April 16, 2009 03:06AM

Has anyone tried the "Body Shop "line of ready to spray paints from DupliColor for home paint jobs?sells for around 40$ a gallon anywhere Duplicolor paints are sold you can get more info on their web site.

Posted by: kenFL ()
Date: April 16, 2009 11:59AM

rnch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i've been checking out maaco's website....their
> "supreme" option is "single stage polyurehtane
> with sealer", their "signature" option is "base
> coat clear coat urethane".
>
> which one is the "2 stage" paint job ya'll
> mention?

This is the problem with places like Macco. They invent all kinds of words and titles that confuse the issue. Things that sound good and help "sell" the product but are not really used in the Professional circle. I have no idea what the "sealer" is for the single stage job. But I'd be willing to bet that the "sealer" is presented as some sort of paint life extending advantage. The only sealers we use in my shop (of 17 years) are underneath the paint to keep anything from bodywork or "breakthrough" areas from lifting or creating problems when the final paint goes down. I'm sure they would have you believe that they are using some sort of sealer on the topcoat. Unless it's a coat of clear, I can't imagine what that sealer might be.

Base coat / clear coat is a two step process. First you spray your color (which is not glossy and has no protection in it for the pigments). Then you spray the clear coat. That's the two stages in the "two stage" paint job.

Single stage Polyurethane is simply your color and gloss all in one coat. As mentioned earlier in my previous post, This is fine but you will have a longer lasting paint job with the "two stage" since the pigments are sealed under the clear coat.

I wish it was all simple but today the materials are not. There is a significant variance in the quality and longevity of the various manufactures of clear coats and single stage urethanes. What looks good today may not last very long if there is not enough mil thickness of clear or the clear is very inexpensive and has little or no UV protection engineered into it. Even if it has been reduced too much it can degrade the quality and performance of the paint. The Dupont rep I spoke to told me that they even engineer their clears to be less likely to run when applied-- a problem with almost every clear on the market today because of the EPA VOC requirements.

But all this is just info for you. Don't over think it. I would stay with the "two stage" paint job. As you can see many here have been happy with the results at Macco. Go get your car painted and start having fun!

Date: April 16, 2009 03:24PM

"two stage" it shall be.

Posted by: perrya ()
Date: April 16, 2009 09:11PM

Yes, I had my 67 painted by them, the presidential for $2200, which has a 4 yr guarantee and my car was surface rust on many parts. So, the took it down to metal on those spots. I found no drips and for the price, it is worth it. The thing with Maaco is how long have their painters been doing it and with them. It is a key question as Maacos that get a bad rap are usually because the painter has not been doing it long.

Perry

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.