Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
225/50/15 tires all 4? and Corsa Dash question
Posted by: brocklanders ()
Date: January 21, 2009 09:22PM

So I've got a few projects on the go, mostly the kind of stuff that can be done inside nice and warm in these wonderful winter days. Namely a Clark's dash cover (nearly done) Sanding and re-painting my New Camaro Rallies and clanng and painting my Corsa Dash.

This leads me to a few questions I'v searched for and not gotten a definitive answer on:

PG in a Corsa Dash. I have the '89 Corsa Tech Guide detailing how to do it, but honestly left me a bit confused. Anyone here done it? tips, tricks or warnings?
My Corsa Dash does not have the fabled PG cut out markings they supposedly had.

225/50/15 tires on a 7" 1970-1981 15" Camaro Rally wheel. I've read again and again that 225/50/15's are great for the rears, but 205/50/15's are ideal on the front. Being frugal I've come across a great deal on 4 225's and I can't pass it up until I know that they will not work on a front of a LM to be lowered between 1.5-2" I've seen a handful of cars that DO run them on all fours and don't seem to have a problem

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 225/50/15 tires all 4? and Corsa Dash question
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 21, 2009 10:24PM

I had that exact combo on all fours on my '66. While the tires did fit (AFIR - it was 12 years ago), there were two problems. 1) with my 3.55 axle it was spinning 4-grand at 70 and 2) the front end really reacted to variations in the road -as in wild grabs to the left or right without warning. I swapped them out for 205-60-15 and never looked back. I did keep one for a spare 'cause it fits flat in the floor of the trunk.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: tboltkc ()
Date: January 22, 2009 05:39AM

I had 225's all around on my car all summer because I was using 8" wide rims. Lots of grip and they fit (with a little tiny bit of trimming on the front) but Craig is right about following road imperfections. I believe they also required more steering effort.

I took them off for winter because they were summer tires, but I think in the spring I'm going to put 205's on the front and switch to a set of 7" Camaro wheels too.

-Travis

'65 Corsa; '63 Convertible; '62 Wagon; '65 4 Door
Heart of America Corvair Owners Assocation (Kansas City, MO)
[www.hacoa.org]

Date: January 22, 2009 09:02PM

My New rims are actually 8" wide, not 7.

So for the Corsa Dash, I'll quote the section that has me lost. and hope for some help then.

Corsa Tech Supplement 1996
Power glide in a Corsa Dash- Milton Binion

" I take out the old panel, the Ash tray, and the Radio, and remove the shifter from the cable. A slot must be made in the panel using a 1/4" drill bit. The edge of the slot is 3/8" down from the sheet metal screw hole, and the slot is 2 1/2" long. I straighten out the top mounting of the shifter and cut part off. A piece of 3/8" square aluminum rod that is 1 1/4" long is fitted into the channel at the top of the panel opening. A #8-32 screw holds the top of the shifter. The bottom of the shifter is held on by a 2" strip of .040" aluminum. One of the #10-32 screws that hold the bottom mount can be seen below the ignition switch. There are holes in the bottom of the shifter that makes it easy"

I guess I'm stuck as to the exact placement of the slot for the PG handle. I notice that Milton does not say the slots distance from the right side of the Corsa Panel.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 22, 2009 10:27PM

I vaguely remember that the Corsa dash has some imprinting on the back that shows the location of the slot. I'll take a look at one of mine tomorrow.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: gwydionjhr ()
Date: January 23, 2009 01:00AM

I've seen Spyder dashes with a PG cut out on the back, but never on a Corsa...

Date: January 23, 2009 05:39AM

As stated mine does not have the imprint on the back.
Those that do, I'd REALLY appreciate some measurements.

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: January 23, 2009 06:09AM

Just a hunch here. I have never done the conversion but I saw it on a friends car. Her is what I would do if I were you. I am guessing you still have the Monza panel with the factory cutout. Why not just make a template from the old one and transfer it to the Corsa dash. I am looking at a picture of mine and the tachometer slot for the corsa is the same size and location on the Clock bezel on the Monza. You should be able to cut the slot in the exact same location.

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
CORSA, CKCE, Derby City Corvairs
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: January 23, 2009 06:34AM

What Cliff said.

205's on my Corsa still make it dart. I do have to say, I have never had an alignment done either. Something I am hoping to have done this year.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: January 23, 2009 07:03AM

I don't have the measurement you need but maybe this picture I saved will help.

The Tech Guide says the entire PG bezel can't be used but it looks like it is in this install.

Attachments:
Date: January 23, 2009 06:22PM

I have the Shifter out of the car and am seeing that the location in't a HUGE issue,(yet) Mounting is. The tech article to me is pretty vague in describing how to mount it.

"straighten out the top mounting of the shifter and cut part off. A piece of 3/8" square aluminum rod that is 1 1/4" long is fitted into the channel at the top of the panel opening. A #8-32 screw holds the top of the shifter"

What Channel at the top of the panel opening??

I'd give my right eye for a nice pic of it installed from the back.

Posted by: Desert Monza ()
Date: January 24, 2009 05:57PM

I tried doing this mod, and could never get it to work right. The tach is too far to the right to even remotely fit the entire shifter bezel. The curve is way off. The shifter bezel would have to fit over the right trim of the tach quite a bit. I also tried removing the shifter slot in the bezel and fit the shifter through the indicator slot. It fit better but not perfect. All I can add is that I spent alot of time on it and eventually shelved the project due to frustration, and a ruined corsa dash

1965 Corvair Monza Convertible 110HP/PG
Jonestown, Texas
OLD pic!New Pic! Same car!

Date: January 24, 2009 07:17PM

Now I'm determined winking smiley

Digging deep into any and all resources I have. I'll do this, and post an easy how-to. I promise you that!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.