Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
engine/trans removal?
Posted by: beguiled ()
Date: October 16, 2005 12:26PM

Does anyone have a link to or detailed instructions for engine/trans removal from a 62 corvair? I'm totally new to corvairs and dont want to screw anything up removing the engine and trans as a unit.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: engine/trans removal?
Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: October 16, 2005 01:23PM

Hi,
I don't know of any web based detailed description. The best ones are in the shop manual and Richard Finch's "How to Keep your Corvair Alive" was the first one I used. He describes a simple power train cart that you drop the engine and body onto and then after removing and disconnecting everything, just remove the three castlated nuts and then raise the body off the dropped power train.

For an Early like yours, the easiest is to drop the entire power train. Do a Search here for "ATV lift" and you will see some postings on using that wonderful device with a wood cradle for a faster and safe alternative.

If you don't have the GM shop manual or a reprint, you are making a mistake. There are simply way too many things that you need to follow in there, like the torque specifications for bolts. There are inexpensive ones on eBay.

Also, if you do a Google search for "Corvair engine lift" you will see a nice hinged cradle on and ATV lift. I am about 1/2 way to making one of those for my ATV lift. BTW, the ATV lifts are about $60 or so for a good one. Get one with the long arm for moving the ATV lift and power train around.

-- Larry

Attachments:
Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: October 16, 2005 01:31PM

Note, in the picture that I set the cradle on the ATV lifting arms BACKWARDS, so the bigger opening should be closer to the handle and reversed 180 degrees. This was before I bolted the cradle and just used pins to locate it onto the ATV lifting arms. This opening is for the deep oil pan to drop into. Note, I just used this approach last Friday evening to drop the power train of my Greenbrier. I work slow, so it took me about an hour and a half, and half of that was to get the van raised and the fluids drained. For the van, you need to drain the engine oil, since you need to pull the rear mounted oil filler or tip the power train quite a bit to not hit it when dropping the engine. You will not have the problem and can drop the power train without draining any fluids.
-- Larry

Posted by: beguiled ()
Date: October 17, 2005 12:49AM

anyone else have any advise for removal?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.