Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
++++ Corvair Yenko Stinger For Sale on Ebay ++++
Posted by: Kasey Vandenberg ()
Date: October 03, 2008 01:20PM

Check out the Yenko Stinger for sale on ebay, I wish I could win a Lottery, that would be a Fantastic car to have..

[tinyurl.com]

Kasey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ++++ Corvair Yenko Stinger For Sale on Ebay ++++
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 03, 2008 03:05PM

Wait a while it'll come down.... been for sale for quite a while now...several different times this year..

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: October 03, 2008 05:01PM

Kasey,

Curtis Wod has had it for sale for about 3 months now. I know about what he gave for it and it was much less than what it cost to build it. It was still a HIGH #. Don't look for him to take a whole lot less. He has driven it some on the street and said it is very tight and sweet to drive.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Date: October 03, 2008 06:43PM

But the market is soft!! like marshmellow soft...

He'll have to hope for "the right person" IMO

Posted by: wcelliot ()
Date: October 03, 2008 08:15PM

This is my favorite Corvair in the world... but it was too rich for my blood _before_ all that dosh was spent on it... ;-)

But them at Fall Carlisle today was a '66 turbo convertible (admittedly extremely nice) with a $30k price tag on it... suddenly makes the Stinger look like a pretty good deal.

Speaking of the market, it's very strange... WIDE variety of asking prices. I don't typically look at Trans Ams, but had to notice that there were two about 4 spaces from each other.

One was a very original well-kept car with 110k on it, recent quality paint and decals, but could use a little interior resto. $12k

The other was the same year and spec, 40k on it, reportedly original paint (but it looked to me like a quality respray), same original interior (but of course with less wear), asking price $32k. It was the superior car, but not $20k superior...

Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2008 08:21PM by wcelliot.

Posted by: mike hicks ()
Date: October 04, 2008 12:52AM

Wow. That's Jay Leno pricing right there. In a way I'm happy seeing a Corvair getting some classic car respect but in another I'm befuddled. You can get a lot of cars for $69K. You could make a few Yenkos of your own for that kind of scratch. They wouldn't be original, numbers matching though. For what that's worth.

Posted by: 105375 ()
Date: October 04, 2008 01:43AM

That's the price you pay for provenance.

Orlin
ND

Posted by: blackspyder ()
Date: October 04, 2008 01:50AM

Gee, I was at Carlisle on Thursday, did not see that 66 convertible. Only saw 2 corvairs in the car corral, must have come later in the day or on Friday AM. Only thing I found was a NOS 65 front grille bar that I bought and don't need.

Posted by: wcelliot ()
Date: October 04, 2008 01:54AM

I didn't see it Thursday, but I didn't spend as much time in the car corral Thursday either.

Saw the same nice green '60 sedan with a car corral sticker on it heading home Thursday and again headed in this morning... but never saw the car there...

Nice find on an NOS grill bar... those bring some dosh...

Bill

Posted by: Curtis Wood ()
Date: October 04, 2008 06:16PM

Hello all,

I relisted YS003 when the ebay ad ran out. I know the market is soft and that it takes just the right buyer at just the right time to purchase a unique car like this. Still, I just never worry about owning the best of a model I truly love and enjoy. I am unapologetic for the price.

With regard to value. Keep in mind that this car sold as a dissasembled, incomplete project for half my asking price a few years ago. Additionally that two bidders at the Russo and Steele auction were willing to pay more than $55,000 for it. If anybody gets SportsCar Marketplace, I have heard there is an interesting review of YS003 in the latest issue.

If you want a Stinger in this condition your alternatives are to buy this one, know you have one of the best, and enjoy it immediately. Or buy a $30,000 Stinger and spend 20K more and 3 or more years restoring a car that even when done will still not be a stage 3 car, nor have comparable history and documentation.

Going out to drive the Stinger a little bit this afternoon. WhooHooo!!!

Curtis Wood
curtis at thiscrazygarage dot com
417-849-4683

Posted by: mike hicks ()
Date: October 04, 2008 06:42PM

You can't drive history and documentation. History and documentation are all well and good but really only worth something to investors or museums.

Is it worth the asking price? It is if anyone pays it. Otherwise, probably not.

I don't have that kind of money to spend on a car. If I did, I'm pretty sure I'd rather Stinger-ize a regular old Corvair and then drive the heck out of it than fork over that much cash for a museum piece. But that's just me. And I'd rather put a hemi engine in a 318 '70 Cuda convertible than pay $2 million for a real one. I'd have a cool car and left over cash in both cases.

Posted by: monza66mo ()
Date: October 04, 2008 07:21PM

Seriously... if I wasn't car poor at the moment, I would love to buy YS-003! Maybe one day soon Curtis will let me come over and drool on it since I live near by?

- Art in Missouri
'66 Corsa clone (140/4SP)
[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 04, 2008 08:02PM

Art. Just call if you are close. You can look all you want even if not a potential buyer. Or you'll see it out sometime. I ran it our local scca solo/autocross last weekend.

Posted by: monza66mo ()
Date: October 04, 2008 09:12PM

Curtis - I'll take you up on that offer. I'm also interested in local events so keep me in mind when you know of something. I live about an hour and a half east of Springfield/Ozark.

- Art in Missouri
'66 Corsa clone (140/4SP)
[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 04, 2008 09:19PM

Curtis,
This is most likely the best "Yenko Stinger AS DELIVERED" even though it's been restored.

And it is still the original body! Most likely the BEST "investment" Stinger out there.

My earlier post about the price is ONLY based on current market conditions..

Myself.... I'd Auction it on Ebay... 99 cent start... high reserve...

Several years ago we watched a "pile" YS go for $34k! All it took was 2 buyers bidding...

Date: October 04, 2008 11:07PM

Art,

We have another SOLO on Sunday Oct 12 at the Duck's stadium on 65 just south of Ozark if your interested in that kind of thing. Once in awhile a Corvair shows up. Check omrscca.org

Curtis

Posted by: Mark Gillespie ()
Date: October 06, 2008 08:12PM

Corvair guys continue to hope that at some point , Stingers will gain the prominence and value of the other Yenko muscle cars.If that happens it will be gratifying to those of us who appreciate their real value as sports and race cars.If not, they are still great conversation starters when we pass " real " sports cars on the track ! Curtis, thanks for your continued interest and appreciation for these cars !

Date: October 06, 2008 09:12PM

Mark,

Nice to hear from you, Mark.

Reference: muscle car market - My asking price is still not even close to muscle car pricing. A Yenko Camaro of this quality would bring way more even in today's market even after the collapse.

Stingers (and Vairs ) are the hidden jewels of the automotive world. 3 years ago when we began looking for my 16 year old sons first car I drove a 70 Mustang and a small block Chevy two. Was so very dissapointed as I had forgotten how terrible other American cars of the Corvairs era were. Compared to a Vair, these cars drive like 3/4 ton trucks, yuck. No way I could have enjoyed one after spending literally 100s of thousands of mile behind the wheel of late model Corsas.

If I took YS003 off the original like bias plies and put it on some modern radials it would be the nicest car I have to drive.

Re: Bias Plys / Best driver with Radials
Date: October 07, 2008 12:53AM

Curtis, why not take one of your other Vairs and update it? 100's are out there that will run circles around a unmodified Yenko..

Just think Mark Wright / Kevin Willson, when you think of street legal...

I'm sure many here are relieved to hear you spent many miles in Corvairs....

Most here had you pegged as a speculator.. most likey someone who also owns a 29 Hupmobile or something like that...

But as the other YS owners who are here, we understand your desire to "preserve" certain important YS # cars..

Posted by: mrPbody ()
Date: October 07, 2008 01:49AM

After doing a little casual research of my own on the Yenko package, I was a little surprised to see just how little was actually done to make a Yenco a Yenko. not sure just what I expected, but I don't see too much that couldn't be easily duplicated even today. It says a lot for the quality and design of the stock Corvair.

Russ

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.