Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
turbo mufflers
Posted by: blackspyder ()
Date: September 21, 2008 11:21PM

Has anyone had any success or failures with aftermarket turbo mufflers on a turbo Corvair?? Or should I just stick with the stock GM unit??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turbo mufflers
Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: September 21, 2008 11:31PM

flowmaster is hard to beat for sound and typically an inch or two more boost.

edited for bad spelling

Best, Steve
Golden, Co.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2008 11:32PM by steve goodman.

Posted by: wcelliot ()
Date: September 21, 2008 11:47PM

The stock GM muffler was awesome for its day but has been surpassed by better technology that offer similar sound levels with even less backpressure. I'm with Steve that you can't beat a Flowmaster though I generally use similar but cheaper DynoMax SuperTurbos...

Bill

Re: turbo mufflers/boost increase?
Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: September 21, 2008 11:52PM

Hello Bill: Do you notice the increase in boost with the Dynamax? I have never tried one and can't think of a customer of mine who has either. Thanks.

Best, Steve
Golden, Co.

Date: September 22, 2008 02:07AM

HOnestly I've used a Dynomax on a turbo... but every test I've seen and every practical example I've tried on a normally aspirated engine (Corvair or not) shows the backpressure to be almsot identical and the sound similar... frankly on a turbo Corvair I'd likely run a resonator tip and no muffler at all!

Bill

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 22, 2008 11:53AM

I used a flowmaster for a while, then changed it out to a Dynamax. The Flowmaster was just a little too loud for me in my vert, plus I like to enjoy tunes while driving.It made the Vair sound like a much larger engine. You could also change the sound by changing the length of the exhaust tip. I hooked it up with SS wrap around clamps so I wouldn't crush it. It has less than ten hours on it and is in the original box. Its the correct one for the Turbo and is for sale. Reply or send me a PM if you are interested. The mufflers Clarks sell for the turbo now are necked down inside so they are not a full 2 1/2 inches. Both the Dynomax and Flowmaster will have better results, but this is on the top end. Normal driving, there isn't much differance.

J.O.

Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: September 22, 2008 02:39PM

wcelliot Wrote:

frankly on a turbo Corvair I'd likely run a resonator tip and
> no muffler at all!

Bill, my Spyder came with no muffler. If I wanted to follow your resonator suggestion, what would I buy and where would I find it.

What is the advantage to a resonator and would it be louder, similar, or quieter than stock.

Thanks,

Mark

Date: September 22, 2008 03:13PM

Something like this

[cgi.ebay.com]

[cgi.ebay.com]

[cgi.ebay.com]

Generally quietens the system slightly and filters out the higher exhaust tones.

Bill

Posted by: blackspyder ()
Date: September 23, 2008 10:28PM

Thanks to all that replied. Has anyone ever tried a Borla Stainless turbo muffler

Date: September 23, 2008 11:54PM

Not on a Corvair. Gnerally the Borlas are very free flowing, but have a higher noise level.

Bill

Posted by: Ted ()
Date: September 24, 2008 02:32AM

when it comes time to do mine i think im going to use a hooker aerochamber. have them on the iroc and love them. supposed to make more torque than open pipes

Posted by: marv ()
Date: September 24, 2008 05:23AM

Swapped out my turbo muff for a polished Magnaflow. Straight thru and sounds great on the hiway

Attachments:
Posted by: ron L ()
Date: June 14, 2010 10:33PM

blackspyder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks to all that replied. Has anyone ever tried
> a Borla Stainless turbo muffler

Got these for $75 off of Craigslist:

After another $150 later from my favorite exhaust guy:

No video yet, the mic on the camera I used has no low frequency sensitivity so it sounds like a fart muffler. I'll try the other camera later.

Stinkin' budget. Time to start selling some stuff off.

Posted by: Jim ()
Date: June 14, 2010 10:51PM

Ron, looking good.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 14, 2010 10:52PM

I recommend Flowtech Raptors... cheap...flow well...and sound bitchin'!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: HOMEBREW ()
Date: June 15, 2010 12:11AM

Have used a Borla on a v6 ranger and really like the sound. Did you happen the see the youtube of the silver corsa? I believe it belonged to a dude named MOSS. He used a set of round Borla's, but did not show the whole set up. Maybe he could chime in. Sure would like to see some photos.

Date: June 15, 2010 12:18AM

Yea the Moss car sounds pretty cool (with Uglytruk's camera at least) but he's got more goodies than my stocker so pretty much any muffler would sound good on his.

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: June 15, 2010 12:44AM

The glasspacks I have sound pretty quite/low/good a low idle (after warmup) and have a nice deep tone, but there is a lot of high-end noise that's really annoying, and they _seem_ to be getting louder. Worst thing is at freeway speed, you can't hear each other talk and it's hard on the ears (sounds cool though).

Hoping to get something quieter on there soon. Where do the Thrush mufflers fall in the line up as far as performance vs. noise? They're cheap at Baxters and look good in the photo. Still need to check out the Flowtech Raptors MattNall recommended.

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: June 15, 2010 01:39AM

Dynotests have shown that straight through mufflers will increase power and decrease back pressure on a turbocharged engine.
Stay away from Flowmasters or any other baffled muffler.
The Dynomax Ultraflow's and Borlas as well as SLP's, Magnaflows are all good choices.
I have one of the new Stainless all welded Ultraflows on my 66 Corsa.
To install one on a 65-65 in place of the stock turbo muffler requires a regular Corvair exhaust hanger as well as a 62-64 tail pipe. I used a 2.5" in/out.
To keep the stock style chrome tip requires significant expanding as the stock turbo muffler is barely 2.25" OD on the outlet side.

Date: June 15, 2010 05:46AM

Holy cow these Borlas can drone in cruise. The thumping at idle can put a booming stereo to shame. I had Magnaflows which are the same internal design as Borlas on my Mustang and it had zero drone, so I had high hopes for these guys. Maybe try a balance tube next.

The tips aren't symmetrically placed thanks to the U-pipe lengths, but seems common enough on Corvairs. Still bugs me a bit though, oh well.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.