Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Proposed New CORSA Chapter in Lubbock, TX FROM 2008
Posted by: Curtis ()
Date: September 11, 2008 11:27AM

Helping a friend get the word out.

Vince Singer is starting a new chapter in Lubbock, TX. He's already got the club's web site up and running. [www.southplainscorvairclub.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 08:56PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FYI - New Chapter in Lubbock, TX
Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: September 11, 2008 02:52PM

Good luck with the new chapter, how may Vairheads y'all got out in Lubbock?

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: September 11, 2008 04:38PM

Sign me up! I'll join and I can guarantee I'll attend as many of your club meetings and events as I do the North Texas Club. sad smiley

Tom Cepak
DFW, TX

Date: September 11, 2008 07:25PM

Go ahead and sign Tom up, I'm sure a newly starting club can use the extra dues, Just don't count on seeing him at many meetings. I think I can count all the times that I've seen Tom at a meeting over the last six years on on one finger or maybe it's two. But his money is good. smiling smiley

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 11, 2008 07:28PM

I like the idea of Virtual Meetings....

We used Net Meeting over Phonelines! and it work very well... it's come along way !!!

Maybe Tom could make those!!

Date: September 11, 2008 07:44PM

Matt,

Tom's problem is that our meetings are the 1st Saturady each month @ 14:00 and he coaches his kids soccer, basketball teams. So I don't think he could make a virtual meeting most of the time either.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: September 11, 2008 08:12PM

Yea, one of these days when either my daughter gets really good at sports and someone else will have to coach her, or she'll decide she doesn't want to do sports anymore. Then I'll finally get to attend meetings on a regular basis. Frankly I really don't like coaching, I don't really know that much about basketball or soccer, but our teams always end up in the championship games. I try to quit but the leagues and my daughter keep pestering me, so I keep doing it. What they really don't know is how lucky I've been over the past few years with getting great players in our blind drafts.

Great idea Matt! All we have to do is find a netmeeting host server, a video feed, and a dial in phone number for gabbing. What is funny is we do this at work all the time and everyone sits within the same 40' x 40' room.

I would set it up at my work but I already took a little heat for setting up a game server (bzflag) on the company network. We had 10 guys (coworkers) battling each other in tanks during lunch each day (My boss was one of the gamers so things weren't too bad). grinning smiley

Tom Cepak
DFW, TX

Posted by: Curtis ()
Date: September 11, 2008 10:59PM

From the club's site:

---
Interested in joining? Currently, there are:

NO DUES for members.
All communications (including the monthly newsletter) will be delivered by e-mail.
No meetings scheduled at this time - although the plan will be for quarterly meetings, to be held in Lubbock, at a site yet to be determined. Also possible would be "virtual" meetings, via MS Chat, a "Messenger" program, or other on-line software.
---

So pretty much anyone can join, no matter where you are. It is a good idea to register with vince and a 'member' so that events can eventually be planned and the club gets off the ground.

"...how may Vairheads y'all got out in Lubbock?"

He says there are 4.

His email address is listed on the site, so if your interested send him a note. I'm sure he would be excited to get more members.

Milwaukee, Wi

CORSA Webmaster: About | Chapters | Vendors | Events | Ads | Registry | Store

Posted by: Vince Singer ()
Date: September 14, 2008 05:13PM

Howdy! Finally figured out what forum everybody was talking about... Right now - 5 Corvair die-hards here in Lubbock and surrounding area. I have a '60 sedan, and we have a '62 coupe (under resto), a '65 'vert (w/FC engine), a '65 coupe (also under resto), and then there's Bruce Blackmon, who owns several 'vairs.

We're just starting to try and get things up and running here. Send Name, home address, phone # and e-mail address if you're interested - FREE DUES at this time!

I'm sure there are more cars in the area. Hopefully inclusion in Yahoo and Google (already submitted website - see above for address) will "smoke out" some additional 'vair owners.

Posted by: btexpress5 ()
Date: January 12, 2018 04:43AM

Is this chapter still active? I am moving to the lubbock area with a corvair. 469 360 8603

Bruce Trotter
Flower Mound, Texas
1964 Monza coupe
1976 fiat 124 spider

Keep on Keeping on !

Date: January 12, 2018 10:47AM

Bruce,

I have to ask why would you want to move to Lubbock, I lived there for 8 months 35 years ago, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. In the 8 months I spent there I saw 14" of snow, 12" of hail and red dust on everything in my house. There was even red dust inside of my medicine cabinet in my bathroom and the bathroom was not even on an exterior wall. If my neighbors wanted to do anything exciting on the weekend they would drive to Dallas.

At the time I was in Lubbock there were only 3 reasons why anyone would move to Lubbock.

#1 Texas Tech University
#2 Air-force pilot basic fighter pilot training (T-38)
#3 Or you Worked for my current employer

Today only #1 remains, #2 and #3 are long gone.

I ended up in Lubbock because the hiring recruiter promised me that there was a girl behind every tree, he failed to inform me that there is only one tree.

Like Buddy Holly Sang "Happiness is Lubbock in my rear-view mirror" He should know he was born and raised there.

I was back in Lubbock several times over the past 10 or so years, my daughter's softball team played in some national tournaments there. Things really hadn't changed much.

Ok, enough picking on Lubbock, good luck to you I hope you enjoy it there.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: 6vair4 ()
Date: January 12, 2018 07:21PM

Haha, Lubbock ain't that bad Chris. As long as you like restaurants. I think I heard somewhere that they have the most restaurants ber capita.

Put me down on the list. I'm about 90 miles from ya in Clovis. Now that would match your assessment A LOT more Chris :-)

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: January 13, 2018 10:24AM

I've flown into Lubbock a few times when I used to have to go to Clovis for work. From what I saw, Lubbock was fairly nice.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: btexpress5 ()
Date: January 13, 2018 08:52PM

Chris what are you trying to say ? smiling smiley
Just kidding. I now live in flower mound. I grew up in littlefield in the 50s where we caught a fair amount of the dust bowl. I know about dust but i am trying to get away from the traffic.
I made the same argument (you made)to my girl friend but alas i am moving. You know how that works

Bruce Trotter
Flower Mound, Texas
1964 Monza coupe
1976 fiat 124 spider

Keep on Keeping on !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.