Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Dual Master Cylinder conversion help
Posted by: Chris Conner ()
Date: August 18, 2005 01:08PM

I got my dual MC conversion kit from the Underground. Frankly, I'm baffled as to how they mean for the two little pieces of steel brake line to be installed. One seems fairly obvious but the other won't fit without a lot of bending.

Can someone that has done one of these post a pic of the finished installation? I want to make sure I'm on the right path before I go bending things too much.

Thanks

Chris Conner
65 Monza 'vert 140/4

Dual Master Cylinder conversion help
Posted by: Steve O ()
Date: August 18, 2005 01:24PM

1(800) 825-VAIR will get you an answer from Lon "Mr Underground" Wall...

Re: Dual Master Cylinder conversion help
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 18, 2005 03:39PM

Chris,

When I did my kit from the Underground I didn't have the benefit of the "included instructions." You'd think it would makes sense that the line coming from the bottom of the X connector would be the one that would go off to the rear. Well, I did. When all was initially hooked up, I had three wheels on one of the MC reservoirs and one on the other. It was the one that came off the right side of the X that actually went to the rear.

I'm sure that most will notice this installation occured before I learned about using vise grips on the flare nut wrench and just used the vise grips directly on the nuts. I'll be sure to do it better the next time! smiling smiley

Hope the pics help you Chris.

Attachments:

Posted by: Chris Conner ()
Date: August 18, 2005 04:20PM

Just what I needed. You have it set up largely like I have mine done. You bent the small piece to fit the rear line just as I'll need to do. The one for the fronts seems self explanatory but I was thrown by the fact that the one for the rear isn't bent remotely like I would expect. I guess that's because everybody's install is a bit different so, they can't make the bends as perfect as they would like.

Anyway, if you're wrong , at least there will be two of us running around the same way. I suppose if enough people do it, at some point, we become right!

Great pics too. Very helpful.

Thanks
Chris Conner
65 Monza 'vert 140/4

Posted by: Oldschool327 ()
Date: January 01, 2018 07:56AM

Sorry for dragging up a really old thread but are the pictures from the second post still available that could be reposted? I am having the same issue and no directions were included. One line looks really far off and hoping someone that has the underground kit could provide completed instal pics. Thanks

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 01, 2018 08:09AM

Lon Wall
www.corvairunderground.com
503-434-1648

Should be able to get answers to all your questions here.

Date: January 01, 2018 08:10AM

I have sent Lon an email already, and will call him after the holiday to give him time with the family. Was hoping I could find so etching here quickly. Thanks

Posted by: Bill Warren ()
Date: January 01, 2018 11:18AM

I don't have complete install pics but I do have the Underground dual master cylinder in my car. What more do you need to see?

Bill Warren
Decatur, AL
65 Corsa
68 Monza
65 Monza

Attachments:
Date: January 01, 2018 05:59PM

Your picture is what I have seen before but this is what is on Lons site. Neither match what I received, or maybe some bending is in order to get the full loop. I will take some pictures of what I received. Either way would you be able to post what the underside looks like at the unions? Appreciate it
Brian

Attachments:
Date: January 01, 2018 06:23PM

Here are the lines and kit I was sent. Looks to be different than most I have seen. Hopefully I can reach Lon in the morning. Thanks again

Attachments:

Posted by: Chi2 ()
Date: January 02, 2018 08:18AM

Hi Bill,

Please let us know what you hear from Lon. I just received my kit too, and it looks just like what you posted.

Jon

Bill Warren Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have complete install pics but I do have
> the Underground dual master cylinder in my car.
> What more do you need to see?

Jon
Enrolled in the Culver City Automotive School of Hard Knocks
============================================================
Member of South Coast Corsa
-1964 Greenbrier "The Dog Hauler" Rustoleum Charmer 110hp/4sp/.030 over/Pertronics I/Isky 270 Cam
-1962 Monza Club Coupe "Shaken, not stirred" Tuxedo Black with Red Interior 140hp/4sp/Pertronics I/Clark's 260 Cam

Posted by: Bill Warren ()
Date: January 02, 2018 09:30AM

Here is what it looks like on the other side. No problems with my install over 10 years ago. Let me know if you need more pics.

Bill Warren
Decatur, AL
65 Corsa
68 Monza
65 Monza

Attachments:
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 02, 2018 09:56AM

Frankly I think both Clark's and the Underground kits are not well done.

They work, but many have found better ways.

No bending of the inside lines. No brake line running through a hole in the bulkhead, etc.

I did what most do. Plug the rear line on the inside "T" and add another "T" close by for the rear line. Both "T"'s are anchored in the bulkhead. No grommets needed.

The only lines you have to make are from the MC to the bulkhead fittings and you use the standard brake 1967 Corvair dual MC commonly available as it was used on a number of Chevrolet models.

Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: January 02, 2018 11:31AM

66vairman

Could you possibly post a few pics of the method you've described?

Date: January 02, 2018 02:04PM

MonzaJPD61 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 66vairman
>
> Could you possibly post a few pics of the method
> you've described?

This evening when I have time I'll try to find the old links on here I referenced that had some good pictures.

Date: January 02, 2018 03:24PM

Temp dropped to 64F and damp, so I closed up the garage and came inside.

At the end of this link is are a couple of pictures worth looking at -
[corvaircenter.com]

This link show the use of the 66 Cadillac dual MC with the fittings toward the center, maybe the same unit Underground sells
[corvaircenter.com]

I'll look for some of my old pics and post later if I find them.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: January 02, 2018 05:50PM

Well it is 5 degrees out and -20 wind chill but I still got you a pic smiling bouncing smiley

My shop is always 65.

I have not finished capping off the unused ports with an inverted flare plug (still have to pick them up), but every thing else is done.

I used two of the stock bulkhead fittings used in my early, I had several parts cars so it cost me nothing.

I used a Raybestos MC36237 ($31 on amazon), which appears to be a similar dodge application as your unit. I had the fittings in one of my drawers that I had ordered and made my own lines.

This basically is what 66vairman was referring to:

Obviously where all the open ports are will be plugged, and the rear line goes in the block on the right:

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 05:51PM by toms73novass.

Date: January 02, 2018 06:17PM

toms73 pics may be for an EM and it's a good looking installation.

My pics are for a LM. Note you can make different fittings work, but the pics give the idea - no bending of inside lines - no bare line rubbing on the bulkhead.

NOTE: on A/C cars the washer reservoir bracket is close to the MC lines - this is why Clark's says their kit won't fit A/C cars.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 06:22PM by 66vairman.

Attachments:

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 02, 2018 07:47PM

One of the issues is the line to the rear is smaller on the 65 vs. 66-69. You cannot use the stock 67-69 rear feed fitting to feed the line to the rear on a 65 or earlier, unless you replace the metal line to the rear of the car- and some of the fittings. That is one reason people just use a straight adapter fitting at the firewall to feed the rear.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 02, 2018 08:21PM

The glass windshield washer bottle and plastic reservoir are relocated in a LM equipped with A/C. This is outlined in the dealership installation instructions.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.