Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Dual Master Cylinder conversion help
Posted by: Barrist ()
Date: January 26, 2018 09:23AM

Getting ready to do this conversion. I have a question before ordering from Clarks.
I plan on ordering the dual conversion kit, and a hard line kit. The question is, should I order the '67 hard line kit (without M/C lines) or my stock '65 lines ?

Thank You,

Bill

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Oldschool327 ()
Date: January 28, 2018 08:16PM

Lon,
I was the one you talked to one the phone. I emailed you the photos you asked for, called three times and left messages and still haven't heard back from you.

Brian

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: January 30, 2018 04:36PM

On my 66 coupe I replaced the main steel line with the 67 pre-bent from Clarks. I also bought the 67 bulkhead fitting instead if doing the grommet thing. Used the master brake cylinder lines that came with the Clark's master and CAREFULLY re-bent the rear line to fit. See photos. If you go this route, make sure you put the bulkhead fitting closer to the existing front line bulkhead fitting. Had to bend the main line because where I put the fitting the main line would interferes with the heater duct.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Attachments:

Posted by: Barrist ()
Date: January 31, 2018 04:31AM

Thank You Bob, just what I was looking for.

Made Order with Clarks yesterday.

That Damn " While I'm There List" almost broke the Bank. confused smiley

Thanks Again,

Bill

Posted by: TahoeRon ()
Date: February 12, 2018 05:07PM

I have been trying to resolve a dual master cylinder issue with Corvair Underground for months now. The lines did not match the instructions. Lon thought he had sent me a LM kit instead of a EM kit. New lines came, but they did not look right either. I mailed all the lines back, but kept the master cylinder and adaptors. That was a couple of months ago. Lon has responded that he would get me the correct lines but I haven't seen them yet.

I don't believe that anyone is trying to cheat me, but the service or lack of it is a real problem. I have hesitated to say this but it's true. Maybe I will have to give up and fabricate the lines I need. Too bad.
=====
Ron

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 12, 2018 05:23PM

I would have after 3 days!! gg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 13, 2018 11:47AM

Well, Matt, it must be nice to own a double flare tool. I hate to get one just to finish a job that should not have needed it. I was hoping that by posting my problem, Lon would get this out of the way.
Like I say, I have been extra patient (You should see the list of emails, and telephone calls). The beat goes on.
=====
Ron

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: February 13, 2018 12:14PM

You can buy different lengths of tubing with the flares and nuts already on them. Just bend to shape and go. I ran into the same problem as you when I bought the same kit about 10 years ago. It had a weird mix of parts. Some of which I used, extra fittings that didn't appear to go anywhere, one line that fit and another that I couldn't figure out where it could have gone given the short length and the bends it had. I ended up making a line.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: February 24, 2018 03:04PM

Here's my story: I bought the MC kit from Corvair Underground 11 months ago. The lines were incorrect. I received another pair of lines, but those did not fit either. I sent both pair of lines back. Since that time I have sent a half dozen emails. The replies were "I'll get those out to you", then next,
"What did you need exactly?", then "What is your mailing address?" After waiting a few more weeks, on Feb. 15th I emailed and asked Lon to just tell me if he is not going to send me the needed parts. I have received no reply to that.

Now, I now that there may be business reasons and personal reasons that could explain my poor treatment. I try to give the benefit of the doubt, but then I saw Lon post on another topic just a few days ago.

In summary, has anybody received an EM kit from Lon that was correct in this past year?
If so, what did you do that I didn't do?

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: February 25, 2018 10:01AM

FYI, a double flare tool can be purchased for around $15.00 from places like Summit, Jegs and Eastman. Worth having if you plan to ever do more brake work.

The lines for the LM dual master went through a block with the brake pressure sensor in it. That used two very short lines that sort of twist from the port-out to the block. Then there are lines that run from that block to the two under-dash blocks. The dual systems used a 1/4" line from the under-dash fitting to the rear. Single systems usually had a 3/16" line in that location. You will need the correct sized under-dash block for your car. I found the 1/4" block and then had to get a reducer to get the output down to 3/16". No big deal, available from Edelman (258340). The harder problem was the line routing. Moving that under-dash fitting and line to the right made it interfere with the clutch bell-crank. Some bending and bad words and I got it to work. I plan to replace the line with 1/4" at some point and get better routing under the dash using Cunifer line. You can eliminate the sensor block but then you will need to make lines to go from the left side of the MC under it to the under-dash fittings.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Attachments:

Posted by: Coho Cliff ()
Date: February 26, 2018 12:58PM

This is mainly in response to TahoeRon's comments about his recent master cylinder debacle with Corvair Underground. I ordered a "High Performance Tuneup Kit" from Lon two months ago. After a couple weeks with no indication as to the status of the order (other than the debit from my PayPal account) I emailed him and his reply was that he was waiting for the spark plug wires. Another couple weeks went by and I emailed again. This time the delay was due to waiting for Ignitors. Another couple weeks, another excuse. And yet another time and another excuse. I all, I followed up four times over two months to hear a different excuse each time.

Finally today, two months after the order was placed I got a delivery. Ignitor and coil backordered. The air filter a standard Fram paper piece and NOT the washable one described in the kit's description. The distributor cap was not the brass contact unit (he called it "copper") but both it and the rotor from the "economy" line of ignition parts from Standard Motor Products. Spark plugs were AC R44F plugs instead of plain AC R44....not such a big concern, but still not as advertised.

Not sure what's going on a Corvair Underground. I know lots of posts on this site and other have been positive, but this is my first experience with Corvair Underground and I'm not terribly happy with it. Sorry about the rant. Just thought you should know.

Date: February 26, 2018 08:01PM

Good to see I'm not alone! Somebody else sent me a PM with a similar tale involving a bolted flywheel. It's kind of a shame considering the long history of his business, and the friends I'm sure he has mad over the years.

Maybe this a good time to give a shout out to Clark's and California Corvairs. They have both been great!

Date: February 26, 2018 09:03PM

This situation has also happened to me recently and finally went to my credit card company for a refund. Corvair Underground is done in my opinion. Too bad, so many good products at a dead end.

I'm with you Ron, big shout out for Clark's and CA Corvair. I've received excellent service from both...

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 26, 2018 09:16PM

Cliff
Spark plugs were AC R44F plugs instead of plain AC R44

The plugs for a Corvair were never the no suffix type. The originals were FF suffix, and they were replaced by the single F suffix. Both F and FF are 1/2" reach. The no suffix are only 3/8" reach, not long enough to get into the combustion chamber properly.

Difference in F and FF? One thread at the end. The F is missing a thread to make it easier to start in the hole.

Here is an interesting chart of AC Delco suffixes.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Attachments:
cool smileyRe: Dual Master Cylinder conversion help
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: February 27, 2018 10:25AM

Lon has stated that, for many reasons, he is going out of business. I know he has been around for a long time but everyone deserves to retire.

As a business, especially a small personally run business, winds down it gets harder to provide good customer service. You run out of stock on things and don't fulfill orders as you should. Not making excuses for anyone but maybe it's better to look for other sources from now on. Maybe Lon will sell his remaining stock to another vendor who can serve their customers into the future. Lon added a paragraph to his website about going out of business and that some (many?) parts will be out of stock. Doing a better job of communicating with customers would sure help though.

At least hold off on bashing him publicly. Again, not making excuses and I have no dog in this fight. We are mostly a bunch of old guys who have been beat up for 60+ years and we deserve a break! cool smiley

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: February 27, 2018 10:37AM

I don't think it is bashing to tell what has happened to us in a factual way.
I have no ill feelings toward Lon. This is a business issue, not a personal one.

It is unfair to other forum members not to tell what has been happening.
It was my hope that bringing these issues out would help resolve them.

You may say to hold off -- in fact I held off for over eleven months. How long do you think we should hold off?

Date: February 27, 2018 11:17AM

If my credit card was charged when the items shipped, I would have been more understanding.
I've been bashed plenty in my business career so don't want to go there out of sympathy. Ron is correct though, others should know the facts. I hope Lon sells off his remaining products and intellectual property to stronger hands. He has some unique products that I hate to see fade away.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: March 03, 2018 07:04AM

Let's keep this towards the top until we receive an answer. Yunt too?

Posted by: gnrand ()
Date: March 03, 2018 07:38AM

Getting back to a double flaring tool; I believe you can get a loaner from Autozone. Just leave a deposit which you will get back when the tool is returned.
Jeff

Date: March 03, 2018 08:19AM

Thanks, Jeff. I knew I could get a loaner, but it had to be back in 48 hours and the nearest store is about an hour away. So, I bought a double flaring tool on Amazon for about $20. I've be practicing on a 3/16 line, and, frankly, my flares don't look all that good.

Yes, "Wagon Master", we deserve a reply. It's surprising how fast a post sinks down the topic list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 08:20AM by TahoeRon.

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.