Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Loctite Form-a-thread
Posted by: goldie ()
Date: July 25, 2005 05:23PM

Hey there,

On page 173 of the Clark's catalog is a product called Loctite Fix-a-Thread. Essnetially, it's an epoxy used to reform threads in stripped boltholes.

I hate, hate, hate installing Helicoils, and I need to repair a valve cover bolthole. Does anyone have any experience using Fix-a-Thread?

thanks,

goldie.
Falls Church, VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loctite Form-a-thread
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 25, 2005 05:40PM

I haven't tried the Fix a Thread but I was able to us a longer bolt in a stripped valve cover bolt hole successfully.

I thought you might want to consider trying that approach.

Loctite Form-a-thread
Posted by: Steve O ()
Date: July 25, 2005 09:07PM

Goldie - I share your dislike of heli-coils for most Corvair applications, but a "long" time-sert insert works great for a valve cover hole application. In fact, while you are at it, you should just install time-serts in all of the holes.

Time-serts are available from Clark's and most good auto parts stores.

Bob G's idea of using a nut/bolt works fine also. I have not ever had any luck with the Loc-tite Fix-a-Thread, but you can also buy that locally and try it - just don't be disappointed if it doesn't work.

Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: July 26, 2005 02:49AM

Hello all: I doubt that epoxy type materials will work to hold the torque of a valve cover tie down bolt. Remember that the spring tie down itself is trying to pull the threads from the head constantly.

Not trying to pick a fight here but why do you dislike the heli-coil so much, it is so simple, drill the hole/tap the hole/screw in the insert/punch the tab and presto--fixed forever. Good luck in what ever method you try.

Regards, Steve

Loctite Form-a-thread
Posted by: Steve O ()
Date: July 26, 2005 03:00AM

I should have expanded my post slightly - I don't have a general problem with heli-coils in most applications (shroud bolts, engine top cover, oil/pg pan), but since long time-serts are available, I much prefer time-serts for the valve cover bolt application. I've pulled too many heli-coils out of the threads, and have never had that problem with the long time-sert.

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: July 26, 2005 04:05AM

I put studs in the heads with lock-tite and then use nuts on the studs. The studs can be screwed all the way to the bottom of the threads to get more bite and not wear the holes in the head ever time the cover is removed. The studs also make it easy to put the gasket and cover on. I used chrome acorn nuts, but the studs have to be exactly the right length for them.

The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers
Don
NTCA....DFW,TEXAS
66 Monza 1 owner

Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: July 26, 2005 01:50PM

Hello Don and all: Using the 'studs' is always a good idea if the entire hole has threads, if part of the threads are already stripped then installing the stud isn't always getting the most strength. The worst problem that I have seen with making studs for the rocker arm tie downs is when the head is being serviced, the studs are easy prey for being bent or broken during hot tank processes or careless handling while grinding seats, etc.

BTW, long heli-coils are available too.

Regards, Steve

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: July 26, 2005 02:06PM

I didn't mean the stripped hole didn't need to be repaired, just a suggestion to prevent stripping the holes. The studs can still be removed, even with loctite, for machineing. The loctite keeps them from backing out when removeing the nuts.

The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers
Don
NTCA....DFW,TEXAS
66 Monza 1 owner

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: July 26, 2005 10:40PM

Hi

I tried a similar product, I think the problem is that you cannot get the hole cleaned up and you are not able to put the glue in the proper way.

End up using a longuer screw.

lost 20$.

Regards

Bruno

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.