Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
corvair gas mileage
Posted by: richardmanaseri ()
Date: April 22, 2008 07:32PM

i was hoping someone could help me. my wife and i have come across a very nice 65 monza and are really interested in buying it. our only concern is we are looking at it to be her commuter car and have no idea what the mpg's are. is this something that would get respectable gas mileage or should we turn and walk away? also the owner says it currently has a spyder motor in it. any way i could verify this with out pulling it apart? any info would be greatly appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: corvair gas mileage
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 22, 2008 07:34PM

You've got to know what transmission and differential gearing is..

The Spyder Engine is a Turbocharged engine.. 2 carbs? not a turbo

Mileage will be between 14-25 depending on many things...

Posted by: patpaldino ()
Date: April 22, 2008 09:04PM

I have a 65 110 PG, and I have been getting about 17mpg with secondary highway, backroads, and city driving.

I am no expert...but for a commuter car...I don't think it would be my first choice...but man is it fun to drive, especially with the top down! I mention that b/c most will tell you to run the good stuff...and I am paying about $3.70/gal for 93 octane here in MA.

But aside from that, if she is looking for a 'fun' commuter car, than I'd say go for it!

Date: April 22, 2008 09:08PM

Hi, not very long ago I posted about that. You can click here for what some members said:

[corvaircenter.com]

Pat

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: April 22, 2008 09:28PM

Run, don't walk away from the car. If you don't know the difference between a Spider and and any other engine it will take more time than you probably have to learn, espeacially with gas prices being what they are. Spiders get probably 15 mph if you tune them right. Others get 15-22 depending on the tune up. If you have a good relationship with your wife, you don't want her on the interstate with a Spyder, unless you are a top notch mechanic. If you are, then go thru the car and she can drive it anywhere in the USA. They are a collector car for the enthusiast, not for the novice. I'm sorry if I seem harsh but I'm only giving you my views. If you buy it my words will forever ring in your head. Lest you wonder, I love these cars and I have three. Just today I had a coil fail and I would have stranded except I was right in front of an O Rileys, and I had the tools to change it. Best of luck to you.

Re: corvair for commutor for a newbie
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 22, 2008 10:23PM

Laytons advice is spot on.. Turbo'd or not... old cars are old cars...

I have 5.. a Vair powered boat and sandcar... but I love them.. trips are NOT "worry", as they are so simple and reliable... BUT...I love a car that I can fix 90% of failures besides the road in a few minutes..and the "adventure"...and did I say they are a Blast to drive??? LOL!!

With that said, there are many who do drive them daily.. many miles each way as well...but "most" are Vair savvy....having owned them for decades and do most, if not all of their own work..

That's the next thing to consider... WHO will work on it? Many here are totally dependant on US to help them out... and although most problems are rectified quickly... others take months!! Right guys???

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: April 22, 2008 11:54PM

Yeah....Matt is right! I just got mine, and between Matt, and a handful of other members, I would be totally clueless...

I have learned lots already, some hands on, but mostly b/c of the advice/knowledge of members of this board.

I only have 1 (for now), but plan on driving it as much as possible. Anyhow, maybe you should only consider picking it up as a recreational vehicle, or look for an easier vair to maintain...

Good luck!

Posted by: TJulio ()
Date: April 22, 2008 11:57PM

Cross country trip in November, a true Chicago-LA route 66, then LA-Seattle then back to SF in a 66' Monza 110.

22 MPG consistent highway, around 13 city.

Posted by: richardmanaseri ()
Date: April 23, 2008 12:03AM

id say im a fairly competent mechanic. got my knowledge with the coast guard up in Winchester Bay, OR. and managed to keep a 40 year old chevy truck running with bailing wire and duct tape grinning smiley

so to put things in order, if it has turbos its a spyder if it doesnt its a run of the mill vair. i havent physically popped the cover on the motor yet. wife and i are trying to decide if it would even be worth going over with a fine tooth comb. it looks to have the two speed powerglide hooked up still if that makes any difference.

i appreciate your time folks.

Posted by: Andrew ()
Date: April 23, 2008 12:09AM

A Spyder is a 62-64 Corvair with turbo. Later turbos were called Corsa's. However some Corsa's were four carb naturally asperated engines.

Either way if the car does have a Powerglide it is VERY unlikely that it is a turbo. Chevy never made automatic turbo cars.

Posted by: mike hicks ()
Date: April 23, 2008 01:50AM

Non-Corvair literate people call just about anything "Spyder" because there WAS a Corvair Spyder and it sounds fast and exotic. I've run into people who think the 140 4 leg air cleaner runners make it a "Spyder". Because the 4 legs look Spyderish? I dunno.

You can certainly put a turbo (or "Spyder") engine in any car and even the FC's. It doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so though.

If it's actually a 95 or 110 (2 carb) or 140 (4 carb) engine with a PG, it would be a nice commuter car. Gas mileage isn't going to be great and you probably have to use high octane gas. I know I do.

Duct tape and bailing wire are the 2 main ingredients in a Corvair engine so you should be go to go on that front.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: April 23, 2008 02:55AM

Richard, Are SURE you really want your wife commuting in a 45 year old antique ? Competent mechanic or not, I have to agree with the others...pass. Find her something small,about 5 years old with a basic engine. You'll come out ahead in the end. From a pro mechanic.

Posted by: monza66mo ()
Date: April 23, 2008 11:13AM

Even though I drive mine back and forth to work a couple of times a week I wouldn't consider them to be commuter cars. For me, Corvairs are a hobby. Until you replace "everything" on them, they will have a high likelyhood of needing attention sooner or later.

Having said that, I say buy the only car if:

It's in good shape
It's a great deal
You want it

But I wouldn't recommend buying it if:

You want an economy car
You don't have time or desire to constantly work on it
You don't have a back up plan for consistent transportation

- Art in Missouri
'66 Corsa clone (140/4SP)
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: BritCars ()
Date: April 23, 2008 12:53PM

I don't have a "commute" to work as I am self employed on an island, but on occasion I must go off island and find myself in "rush hour" traffic [such as it is in Maine]. I can't believe the appliances that people stuff themselves into. I'd much rather be in one of my classic cars.

If you must spend time in a commute, and if you must spend money on a car for the commute, then it should be a car that you enjoy. Modern cars do have safety features, plusher interiors, climate control systems and sound systems superior to those on any of my old cars. Emission requirements for longevity have tended to make modern engines more reliable over high mileage [but harder and more expensive to repair].

That said, nothing would aggravate me more than buying parts [tires, filters, exhaust, etc.] for a vehicle that I really don't want to drive! If you must commute, you should be in a car that brings you pleasure, that you're happy to be in, that you care about.

If your wife is interested in a Corvair, then treat yourselves to one. Art and Brizzo are correct - have your backup and maintenance plans in place and smile when you have to use them. A woman who wants a Corvair should be anointed for sainthood - get her the Corvair, focus repairs on the systems that determine reliability [electrics, brakes and brake lines, tuneup, fuel lines, cooling] and the car should serve you well.

Jeff

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, Maine 04863
'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 hp 4-speed
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" SW
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" HT
'80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
'80 Triumph Spitfire
[www.landroverwriter.com]
[www.dirgocorvairs.com]
[roversmagazine.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.