Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Dragging Starter
Posted by: Steve O ()
Date: June 14, 2005 04:56PM

I need some advice from the Forum starter gurus...

The starter on my 110/pg is "dragging", or turning slowly at first, nearly all the time now. The problem used to just occur when the engine (and thus, the starter) was hot - now it occurs even when the engine (and starter) is cold. All connections are tight and clean and the battery is new and fully charged. Once the starter gets moving, it turns the engine over at a normal speed, but the starter pulls a ton of amps to get moving.

What are the most common causes (other than bad electrical connections) of a dragging starter? I can't find that info in my myriad of books. I'm trying to decide whether to rebuild the existing starter or to buy a rebuilt starter. I'm concerned that the dragging symptom might indicate a weak armature or field coils, which of course are not included in a normal rebuild kit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dragging Starter
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 14, 2005 06:21PM

Endplate Bushing is worn! On the bottom side!

Remove 2 long bolts [7/16" heads] and rotate enplate 180 deg. [ shaft rides on new side of bushing]

Dragging Starter
Date: June 14, 2005 06:36PM

Thanks, Matt! I remember that trick now from years ago....I'll try it before getting further into the starter.

Re: Dragging Starter
Posted by: Chet ()
Date: June 14, 2005 09:05PM

In addition to Matt's suggestion, check for extremely worn brushes and burned commutator on starter armature. Inadequate grounding could also create similar symptoms.

Dragging Starter
Date: June 14, 2005 09:56PM

Thanks, Chet. Those items are actually my biggest concern with buying repair parts - I don't want to repair a starter with significant problems (armature/field coils, not just brushes).... guess I need to dig into my boxes of parts and see if I still have an "ULTRA" starter laying around before I get too far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.