Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Radio deletion plate?
Posted by: David Payton ()
Date: January 24, 2023 07:36PM

I have a 65 Monza and I pulled the radio out last week, was considering sending it some where to be fixed, just no reception at all. And I thought, what about a factory deletion plate? confused smiley

[corvaircenter.com]

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Radio deletion plate?
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 24, 2023 07:46PM

They are out there.
I think even a nonworking radio looks better than the stock delete plate.
Someone recently posted one that they did in the black-wrinkle finish, and added an emblem to it.
Now THAT looked quite nice! cool smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: January 24, 2023 08:38PM

David, did you consider that the lack of reception could be an antenna problem ?

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Date: January 24, 2023 08:58PM

DOUG WARD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David, did you consider that the lack of reception could be an antenna problem ?

The radio did work when I first brought it home last October and the front and rear speakers worked. The antenna is connected. The fuse is not blown and the green glowing light works. It doesn't have any reception at all not even any static.

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: January 25, 2023 02:53AM

Caps probably finally went.

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 25, 2023 07:52AM

Radio Delete plates can be somewhat hard to come by. I used to have a bunch (a dozen?) but have sold all but a few keepers.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: January 25, 2023 08:05AM

Here's one I made using a spare stock faceplate. I had a factory delete plate but didn't like it. It might have been the one American Mel referred to.

Wade

Attachments:
Date: January 25, 2023 08:43AM

YES!
That is the one I was thinking of. thumbs up
Best Radio Delete I have EVER seen, even if it ain't stock. cool smiley

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 25, 2023 08:43AM

The nice thing about Wade's solution is the beveled, die cast lower edge. The factory delete plate's lower edge is flat to the dash and relatively cheap looking stamped aluminum.

Factory delete plates were painted dash color in the center but the paint doesn't stick well so they're easily scratched. On mine I removed the remaining paint so it's polished aluminum. An improvement IMO.

Below: Before and after on my '66 delete plate:

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:

Date: January 25, 2023 09:00AM

PGVair Wrote:
> Here's one I made using a spare stock faceplate. I had a factory delete plate but didn't like it. It might have been the one American Mel referred to.
>
> Wade
WOW! You really did a great job on that. ????????

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: January 25, 2023 09:02AM

Looks factory to me!

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: January 25, 2023 11:48AM

Thanks for the compliments folks. Here's how I made it.

I had some spare face plates. One had the holes for the radio face and knobs enlarged, but the chrome edges were good. The new face cover was about 16 gauge sheet metal cut to fit within the raised chrome edges. I had a local fabrication shop cut to size on their shear to get nice straight edges. I scribed where I wanted them to shear.

The emblem is Clark's repro. Drilled holes in the new face cover for the emblem pins. Painted the face plate, in my case wrinkle black but you an use any color.

I used some light fixture threaded rod to attach the factory face plate to the dash. I made a retainer for the back and with the factory face in place, put the emblem on and secured it to the retainer on the back with Pal nuts.

So, the threaded rod holds the factory face plate to the dash, then the retainer and Pal nuts hold the emblem and new face cover in place. There are probably other ways to do this or use other emblems, such as Monza or Corsa door panel emblems.

Wade

Attachments:

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: January 25, 2023 12:57PM

I can send you a tested working (can send a video) AM Radio with ‘65 buttons for $45, shipping included, from Virginia. No face plate or knobs, or I can include an OK set - not show quality.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 25, 2023 01:17PM

What I like on an original "radio delete" car is there is no antenna or antenna hole.

Date: January 25, 2023 04:09PM

cnicol Wrote:
> The nice thing about Wade's solution is the beveled, die cast lower edge. The factory delete plate's lower edge is flat to the dash and relatively cheap looking stamped aluminum.
>
> Factory delete plates were painted dash color in the center but the paint doesn't stick well so they're easily scratched. On mine I removed the remaining paint so it's polished aluminum. An improvement IMO.
>
> Below: Before and after on my '66 delete plate:
WOW! That's beautiful. smiling smiley

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: January 25, 2023 04:15PM

Mike Stillwell Wrote:
> I can send you a tested working (can send a video) AM Radio with ‘65 buttons for $45, shipping included, from Virginia. No face plate or knobs, or I can include an OK set - not show quality.
>
> Mike
> YS-117
Thanks so much Mike, I'll keep that in mind. I'm just kinda looking at my options right now.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: DCMain ()
Date: January 25, 2023 04:44PM

Somewhere in my stash is an NOS radio delete plate.

Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: January 26, 2023 12:22PM

My AM radio was dead, so I decided to install oil temp and pressure gauges inside a stock bezel when I was down with the COVID.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.