Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Early model NOS door panels available or suggested repair person?
Posted by: OldWrenchTurner ()
Date: January 23, 2023 04:42PM

I had great luck last time asking about front armrests for my 1961 4-door 700 model here on the forums (I now have a pair of perfect condition NOS ones!), so I thought I might ask about door panels.

I know it's probably a long shot, but I need a full set (all four doors) for my car. The picture below is the color combination I need. As you can see, the panel is in rough shape and sadly all four are like this. I would love to get my hands on some NOS ones. I'm trying to avoid getting new built replacement panels like from Clark's.

However, being someone who lives by the motto 'waste not, want not' I would be thrilled to find a shop or someone who could repair these original panels using (most of) the original material on them currently, for a decent price. They wouldn't have to be absolutely perfect to look at, just functional and better than the tatters they are in now.

So, here's hoping my luck holds out. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Early model NOS door panels available or suggested repair person?
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 23, 2023 06:12PM

My experience...
A good auto trim shop should be able to repair and recover the door panels. However, most likely will not be able to match the special colors and grain of the vinyl. Old vinyl is brittle and hard to work with.
Clarks has special acquired the proper vinyl material to match original. Also, I have found that Clark's will actually cost less than a custom job by a trim shop.
We have a local Chapter member here that does excellent and high end auto trim work. Mac's in Ventura Ca. I learned from him that "You upholster furniture, You Trim automobiles"!
I think in the long run you will be more satisfied with Clark's proper and matching panels. I have installed quite a few over the years.
Just my 2 cents.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 23, 2023 06:46PM

Not trying to be cynical or mean, but I do not see any way on earth that the panel show could even begin to be repaired and come out looking halfway decent.
It looks to have at least two full cracks in the DRY and BRITTLE material, and even seems to be missing some from the bottom corner.
I understand trying to keep as much of the original car intact, but that panel is gone.
I would hang it on the garage wall, if you don't wanna let it go.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Attachments:
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 23, 2023 11:28PM

Clarks reproduction door cards are the best way to go. The only problem is that they are so good-looking that it might make the rest of your interior look bad. There is no way to repair old rotted cardboard, so new cardboard would be required and you wouldn't want to attempt to install the old vinyl onto the new cardboard. You will also need new nail strips. Have Clarks do all the work and you will be way ahead in the end. When I bought new door cards for my 1962 I had them install the nail strips and everything at once. My local auto trim shop told me that they were one of the best quality door cards that he has ever had the pleasure to install.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.